PDA

View Full Version : Something else to abuse instead of Shapesand?

LordBlade
2018-07-22, 09:12 PM
So, my wife's Druid was having fun with Shapesand. Not being as insanely broken as most examples I've seen. Simply little things like using it on locks as the party has no Rogue.
And we've used it in the odd other place, like as a layer over an electrified floor, a bridge across a pit, etc. Basic things.

But the DM finally got tired of us having a convenient tool for all situations.

So my wife now is wondering if there's any other nifty tools we might want to pick up to take care of random things. :p

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-07-22, 09:18 PM
How about a collar of perpetual attendance (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fools/20030401c) or the legacy weapon Caput Mortuum? Surely she could find some way of abusing an infinite number of unseen servants.

Jack_Simth
2018-07-22, 11:04 PM
So, my wife's Druid was having fun with Shapesand. Not being as insanely broken as most examples I've seen. Simply little things like using it on locks as the party has no Rogue.

... don't you need to know what the key looks like to make one from Shapesand?

And we've used it in the odd other place, like as a layer over an electrified floor, a bridge across a pit,
... how much shapesand is she carrying? There's volume limit, and bridges aren't exactly small...

etc. Basic things.

But the DM finally got tired of us having a convenient tool for all situations.

So my wife now is wondering if there's any other nifty tools we might want to pick up to take care of random things. :p
Wild Shape and a rope will do wonders.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-07-22, 11:23 PM
A fistful of eternal wands (or an infinite use item) of summon instrument, perhaps? Big gongs to block doorways or to provide cover, cymbals to act as Xena-esque chakrams, pianos to drop on enemy heads, or even saws to cut out bridge supports.

A +1 metalline/morphing/sizing weapon could be so very, very useful. Can turn into anything that could be considered a weapon, with a ton of out-of-fight utility. Did the doors of the dungeon room just lock shut, and the ceiling (replete with spikes) is slowly lowering? A Huge-sized adamantine quarterstaff will prop it up nicely until the party can figure a way out. Such could also act like a bridge over a chasm, or as a way to clothesline pursuers in narrow hallways (especially if the party wizard casts invisibility on it once it's wedged in place). It could also wedge doors shut as a dagger driven into the crack around a doorway. The possibilities are nigh endless, if you think hard enough. And it's extremely easy to hide on your person, whether as a ring with a poison needle (the poison ring, from Dragon Compendium) or as a garrote that can hold your hair in place as though it were a hair band. Fun fun.

Fizban
2018-07-22, 11:32 PM
Before someone went and wrote shapesand, the omni-tool was Marvelous Pigments, straight out of the DMG/srd. Even more abusable when people assume the DM always agrees with them, but as a consumable they are at least consumed over time. I recommend a minimum use of one square/cubic foot's worth per application, with 1 sq ft= 20gp or vice versa, and the object or "object" must fit within that (so creating a crack along a door takes 1 full unit per foot of length regardless of width, and a multi-foot thick wall multiplies accordingly) and go ahead and allow the creation of valuables but make them worth half as much.

'Cause when you ask for something to abuse, you tacitly admit that you require additional restrictions if you're to be allowed using it.