PDA

View Full Version : Home AL Game

Grear Bylls
2018-07-22, 10:54 PM
I have a question about Adventurers League: If a home game follows the rules of an AL game, but the DM doesn't have a DCI number or tracks the sessions results, are characters played there legal if the players record proper downtime days, renown, etc.? Is it legal if I play one session of SKT AL style, without the DM recording stuff, and bring the character from that session to another game?

mgshamster
2018-07-22, 11:02 PM
DCI numbers are no longer required for AL.

However, log sheets are required. They're proof of your character history. It is very unlikely another AL DM will let you use that specific Character without a logsheet detailing the history of adventures, downtime, gold, and magic items you've acquired.

Grear Bylls
2018-07-22, 11:07 PM
DCI numbers are no longer required for AL.

However, log sheets are required. They're proof of your character history. It is very unlikely another AL DM will let you use that specific Character without a logsheet detailing the history of adventures, downtime, gold, and magic items you've acquired.

Of course. That's what I was saying when I said "if the players record proper downtime days, renown, etc.?" Is it legal if I, as a player kept track of this one session, but my DM didn't for that one-off session?

mgshamster
2018-07-22, 11:21 PM
Of course. That's what I was saying when I said "if the players record proper downtime days, renown, etc.?" Is it legal if I, as a player kept track of this one session, but my DM didn't for that one-off session?

I'd allow it. AL is a game of trust, at the heart of it.

When I run online games, I just give the players the info and they keep their own logsheets up to date.

You might find a DM who says otherwise, but that's not a person I'd want to play with anyways. :)

sithlordnergal
2018-07-23, 12:32 AM

As long as you keep track of the stuff, you should be fine. Heck, as long as you have the right experience, gold, renown, downtime, items, any story benefits or detriments, the name of the adventure, and the DM's name then you should be fine. And I'm gonna be honest, I've been playing a lot of AL with a looot of DMs, both at conventions and online. They only ask for my log sheets with one character, but I certainly can't blame them. He's a level 16 with 18 magic items, two of which are powerful legendary items, a tome that boosts his charisma by two, and a rod of absorption. I'd question how he got it all too.

EDIT: If you're curious how to get that kind of stuff, I have an easy five step process

1) Start a character in Out of the Abyss and reach level 5 while snagging a +1 shield from the modules, then never play him again

2) Play Storm Kings Thunder and have your character die at level 5, then bring in the old character

3) Beat all of Storm King's Thunder for the first legendary item

4) Go through Against the Giants

5) Survive Tomb of Horrors in a 3 player party where a Tome of Charisma, Rod of Absorption, and Defender Greatsword are only useful for you

Contrast
2018-07-23, 02:07 AM
I would be clear with your DM about what you're doing. It he messes around with stuff without you knowing the whole thing kind of falls apart.

AttilatheYeon
2018-07-23, 02:52 AM
Keep track of your stuff, you're AL legal. The DM doesn't keep track, he gets no rewards. You stay legal. You're good man.

Grear Bylls
2018-07-23, 02:45 PM
Also, one more thing: in AL, do you divide earned experience points among players? Example: 800 xp to everyone or 800 divided by 5 to everyone?

Aembrosia
2018-07-23, 03:01 PM
The total value of an encounter is divided among the characters. See page 82 in the dmg for details on distributing xp.

Prewritten modules have a range of xp rewards with a minimum and maximum.