PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Multi-Class my Ranger??

WorldOnFire03
2018-07-23, 06:17 AM
SO for a quick bit of backstory/context my friends and I have started several D&D 5e campaigns but they tend to only get only or two sessions as in the past we have tried to play with bigger groups (don't do it, its a nightmare) so 4 of my friends and I decided to have a game that was just with us so that we could meet up more often (we live about an hour away from each other) and because we were the only ones who were super invested in it.

So my friend who offered to DM created an entire new world and history which is pretty damn sweet, and since the start I have really wanted to play my wood-elf ranger character (generic I know) more than once and really flesh her out a bit more. Our other party members are a Tiefling Paladin, an Aasimar Fighter and a Tabaxi bard (who has the lowest AC and the worst ideas lol). Recently its started to really sink in how underpowered and almost weak the ranger class is compared to others, even though I chose the Monster Slayer archetype from Xanthar's because honestly beast master is terrible and hunter isn't super great.

I had a chat with my DM about potentially multi-classing her to boost her abilities a bit more which he was totally fine with, but as I have never created a multi-class character I'm unsure which class would compliment my character the most. I know that ranger/rogue mixes are always good, and would actually fit in with my backstory quite well as she is a spy for the elven nation, but I was also considering a magic class since the elven nation is a magocracy and my character has a brother who is a high level wizard.

Also if it helps I tend to stick with two short swords and sometimes use my bow for ranged attacks, I'm only level 3 and these are my stats:

STR: 14
DEX: 19
CON: 15
INT: 7
WIS: 16
CHA: 12
I mainly use two short swords with the dual wielding fighting style, but do use a bow quite often and also carry daggers and javelins.

If anyone has any tips or advice for me that would be great, I'm kinda stumped :/

nickl_2000
2018-07-23, 07:27 AM
My first suggestion is to see if the DM will let you play a revised ranger with the Monster Slayer (just add a second attack at level 5). That would do a decent job of making you more powerful and eliminating the need to multiclass. https://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/UA_RevisedRanger.pdf

Now if that isn't an option then it's time to look into multiclassing. Based on your current stats you have the choice of Barbarian, Cleric, Druid, Fighter, Monk, Rogue,
-Rogue is a solid choice since it gives you several goodies and more damage. One of the problems that you will run into though is that you will have competition for your bonus actions between cunning action and two weapon fighting style.

-Another choice would be Druid. With your dex, wearing no metal armor shouldn't be a big deal and by taking Druid you will be getting a lot of utility overall. One of the problems that you will see though is that a lot of Druid spells are concentration based and will compete with Hunter's Mark. Other the other hand, this will give you more healing in the party and some needed battlefield control spells.
-Cleric is another decent choice. You have the Wisdom for it. It would provide more healing and more utility overall. However, you are going to run into more competition for bonus actions and concentration with bless, hunter's mark, spirit weapon, etc. However, your party will love you for casting bless on them. There are very few situations where bless isn't wonderful to have.
-Monk, given your play style I don't see you getting a lot out of monks. However, you could get some crazy movement speed with it.
-Barbarian doesn't offer you much in my opinion.
-Fighter can give you second wind, action surge, and another fighting style which is nothing to scoff at. It's worth considering.

Overall, I would stuck with Ranger until you get your second attack (unless you can switch to revised, then keeping it longer is probably worth it).

Grear Bylls
2018-07-23, 08:45 AM
Hmmm... for that character, might I suggest sticking with it until level 5. However, pick up the Elven Accuracy Ceat. Also, learn the spell Zephyr Strike. Then, sink three levels into Scout Rogue, for three new skills, two with expertise. This leveling should get you bonus action hide, so eleven accuracy activates. Additionally, wood elves can hide even easier than others, due to mask of the wild. A longbow seems like a strong choice, as it won't eat up the bonus action Hunters Mark and Cunning Action.

PeteNutButter
2018-07-23, 09:07 AM
If you have TWF style and want to try to optimize around that then take Fighter or cleric after ranger 5. Druid is an option, but is more of an exploration choice for wild shape. Rogue is also an option, but cunning action is competing with your offhand attack.

Whatever you do avoid dead levels, which in this case could be Ranger 6 or fighter 5 (if you already have extra attack from ranger).

Vogie
2018-07-23, 09:30 AM
You may want to think about what your character concept would be - You either have the ability to do a dual wield bonus attack, or use their Slayer's Prey ability, but not both (unless you're using your bow/javelin, et cetera).

If you do decide to be in melee the large amount of the time, and are not using spells in combat, consider a level in Barbarian. You'd get resistance to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage while raging while also having advantage on Strength checks and Strength saving throws and the ability to have Unarmored Defense option.

CTurbo
2018-07-23, 09:46 AM
SO for a quick bit of backstory/context my friends and I have started several D&D 5e campaigns but they tend to only get only or two sessions as in the past we have tried to play with bigger groups (don't do it, its a nightmare) so 4 of my friends and I decided to have a game that was just with us so that we could meet up more often (we live about an hour away from each other) and because we were the only ones who were super invested in it.

So my friend who offered to DM created an entire new world and history which is pretty damn sweet, and since the start I have really wanted to play my wood-elf ranger character (generic I know) more than once and really flesh her out a bit more. Our other party members are a Tiefling Paladin, an Aasimar Fighter and a Tabaxi bard (who has the lowest AC and the worst ideas lol). Recently its started to really sink in how underpowered and almost weak the ranger class is compared to others, even though I chose the Monster Slayer archetype from Xanthar's because honestly beast master is terrible and hunter isn't super great.

I had a chat with my DM about potentially multi-classing her to boost her abilities a bit more which he was totally fine with, but as I have never created a multi-class character I'm unsure which class would compliment my character the most. I know that ranger/rogue mixes are always good, and would actually fit in with my backstory quite well as she is a spy for the elven nation, but I was also considering a magic class since the elven nation is a magocracy and my character has a brother who is a high level wizard.

Also if it helps I tend to stick with two short swords and sometimes use my bow for ranged attacks, I'm only level 3 and these are my stats:

I mainly use two short swords with the dual wielding fighting style, but do use a bow quite often and also carry daggers and javelins.

If anyone has any tips or advice for me that would be great, I'm kinda stumped :/

I don't think the PHB Ranger is THAT weak except for Beastmaster. The UA Revised Ranger in particular is almost overpowered(even Beastmaster is decent). I do think the Monster Slayer subclass is particularly underwhelming though so I think that's more your problem than the core class. You would have been much better off with Hunter or Gloom Stalker. I would first see if your DM would let you switch over to the Revised version. If you're still level 3, maybe the DM would let you change your mind on subclass. I definitely wouldn't multiclass until after level 5 for extra attack, and I would almost certainly take +1 Dex and Con at level 4.

As far as multiclassing, if you're stuck with PHB Ranger Monster Slayer, I'd get out at level 5 and never look back. Like you said, Rogue is always good. Scout or Swashbuckler would be great.

Fighter is always good too. With those stats, you could take Archery and Sharpshooter, AND Dual Wielder since Fighter gets so many ASIs and just be really good at all combat. If you choose this route, get out of Ranger immediately.

Cleric is great. Light and Tempest get you a solid reaction feature. Nature is highly thematic. Knowledge helps with skills and utility.

rbstr
2018-07-23, 09:58 AM
I think you're being a bit premature about the strength of the character. You're only level 3, after all.
Even if you want to start doing some rogue levels you really should take Ranger to level 5 for extra attack and the second level spells.
But you might like some of the higher-level ranger stuff....Monster Slayer in particular has fun stuff at higher levels. at level 7 you get that cool Monster Slayer defense thing. Level 9 is 3rd level spells, like Lightning Arrow, which is super cool and fun. But the level 11 and 15 are really cool.

What spells do you have and what exactly is making you feel less strong than others? What tactics are you using?

Changing to the Revised Ranger is certainly a way to add bit more power to the character. I just started a revised Horizon Walker at level 3 this weekend I felt was doing pretty well. But we were fighting a bunch of Goblins so Hail of Thorns really put in some work.

Malifice
2018-07-23, 10:20 AM

Stick with the class till 5th.

Next level take the Shapshooter feat. At 5th level you get extra attack. Leave after that.

At present you should be casting Hunters Mark (bonus action) and using your Slayers Eye (also a bonus action) on round 2.

Use your action in each round to take the attack action with your Bow. You should be using a heavy crossbow.

D10+2d6+4 isnt bad damage at 3rd, and its largely at will.

Stick with the crossbow for the first two rounds then consider switching to the swords (when you can use bonus actions for the extra attack).

Like I said - stick with ranger till 5th. Then you want to go to fighter (select archery style for +2 to hit with the bow) for 3 levels. At level 3 take battle master archetype and pick precise strike, menacing strike, and 2 other maneuvers. These all work with bow and swords.

Arcane archer provides some nice options as well.

From there take as many levels in Rogue as you want. Personally 5 levels is enough. Sneak attack adds an extra 3d6 damage, cunning action gives you more mobility and stealth options, and expertise makes you the go to skill monkey. For the ASI get +1 Dex and Con.

By now you're a Ranger 5/ Rogue 5/ Fighter 3.

I'd be tempted to go back to ranger for the remaining levels to get some of those higher level Monster Hunter abilities personally but odds are the campaign has ended by now.

WorldOnFire03
2018-07-25, 12:39 AM
Thank you to everyone who replied :)

I had a chat with my DM and he seems happy for me to use the UA version of ranger which is awesome. I originally chose TWF as that is the fighting style I generally choose in other games (eg. Skyrim, Dragon Age, etc) but might consider asking to switch it to dueling and buy a different main weapon.

I had also originally chosen hunter as my ranger archetype but after chatting to my DM about it decided on monster slayer as it fits in well with this world/campaign and gives me some nice advantages against the main enemy.

I may rethink multi-classing in the future, but for now I think with the UA version, potentially changing fighting style and sticking with monster slayer I should be much happier :)

Thanks everyone!

WorldOnFire03
2018-07-25, 12:49 AM
Is the UA version of the ranger canon?

Arkhios
2018-07-25, 01:43 AM

If by canon you mean if it overrides the one in Player's Handbook, then no. Unearthed Arcana materials are strictly playtest material, all of which are subject to change and/or removal. They're not finished products. However, DM's are encouraged to use Unearthed Arcana because that helps the designers to receive playtest feedback from, you know, actual play. Provided that those who have tried UA material in play actually bother giving that feedback.

Feedback is important, because based on that the designers can decide whether they want to change or remove something before anything is potentially added to a book someday.

Raynor007
2018-07-25, 09:50 AM
Thank you to everyone who replied :)

I had a chat with my DM and he seems happy for me to use the UA version of ranger which is awesome. I originally chose TWF as that is the fighting style I generally choose in other games (eg. Skyrim, Dragon Age, etc) but might consider asking to switch it to dueling and buy a different main weapon.

I had also originally chosen hunter as my ranger archetype but after chatting to my DM about it decided on monster slayer as it fits in well with this world/campaign and gives me some nice advantages against the main enemy.

I may rethink multi-classing in the future, but for now I think with the UA version, potentially changing fighting style and sticking with monster slayer I should be much happier :)

Thanks everyone!

Very glad he's letting you use the UA Ranger; it's a worthy improvement on the mechanically weakest class in 5e. I wouldn't give up on multi-classing yet (do wait until level 5 for extra attack), though, as you can get some pretty powerful abilities with just a few levels.

Monk: 2 Levels will get you a damn good Unarmored Defense (using your two core skills), faster movement speed, and most importantly, Flurry of Blows. You can make 4 attacks per round that you use a ki point, and each attack will deal an additional d6 damage with Hunter's Mark going in addition to regular damage dice and modifiers. Obviously this will be spaced out over at least two turns, as Hunter's Mark and Flurry of Blows are both Bonus Actions.

Fighter: 2 Levels will give you an additional fighting style and Action Surge, which combined with the above use of extra attack+ki point will up your attacks for that round to 6. Not too shabby., and you also don't have to sacrifice your d10 hit die either.

Rogue: 3 Levels will make you an opening-round killer. because UA Rangers roll at advantage for Initiative, get advantage on attack rolls against those who haven't taken a turn yet, and level three Rogues get +2d6 damage when attacking at advantage. You also gain Expertise and Cunning Action, two abilities that are among the most versatile in the game IMO.

Cleric: Even one level in War Cleric will get you additional weapon attacks (per the same Bonus Action spacing as above), Cantrips (Thaumaturgy is amazingly versatile, and can cause some fantastic opportunities for advantage on attacks), and spells that use your Wisdom as the casting ability.

Druid: same as above, except you have to sink 2 levels to get Wildshape and anything good, though becoming a Dire Wolf as a bonus action is pretty sick.

Wizard: Spellcasting with a not-great ability for you, true, but three Wizard Cantrips (not as good as Cleric ones for you, though), Arcane Recovery, and access to 1st Level Wizard Spells, among which is Find Familiar, which might be the best ability you can get as a Ranger. The possibilities are near-endless (just look up the Help action) if you're creative. Another way to get this spell without dipping is the Magic Initiate Feat.

The other classes all have cool stuff, but at the cost of more powerful Ranger abilities, and using stats that are not your best. Keep two other things in mind:
1) Ability Scores determine your ability to multi-class, so make sure you have the stats to do it, and
2) Depending on the build you go for, you can either maximize access to ASIs (and therefore Feats, if your GM allows them), or minimize them. Your decision, really.

Hope that helps.

nickl_2000
2018-07-25, 09:54 AM

Canon meaning official - No

However, it was created by Wizard's of the Coast as experimental material for feedback to put in future books at some point. WotC has said that they will be releasing a revised ranger base class at some point that will be official, but it has not been finished or released yet. That being said, a lot of DMs allow the revised ranger since the ranger base class gets a lot of hate.

BLC1975
2018-07-25, 11:03 AM
Have faith in the DM to buff you with some items perhaps? Depends how much you RP...I don't really like multi-classing for the sake of it and especially if it doesn't fit with what you your character would do. Your character is your character, believe in them and if they die, well...there are tons of options for your next one.