PDA

View Full Version : Making a 5e character to match Overwatch Hero Roadhog.

JustWhatINeeded
2018-07-23, 06:31 AM
The dm is good with the scrap gun and the hook, I just need to figure out the mechanics and how I'm going to make this work. I'm thinking of doing a fighter gunslinger but I'm not sure how the hook and shoot is going to work. I need suggestions to get my build working. We're starting at level 4. All non-homebrew is allowed.

Unoriginal
2018-07-23, 06:37 AM
Well, try making a list of all the abilities you want to have as a "D&D Roadhog", and we can provide suggestions.

Personally, I'd say a Cavalier or some kind of Barbarian would be appropriate?

JustWhatINeeded
2018-07-23, 06:39 AM
I'm trying to do a bulky build I have good strategy and dex and modest con but I want to be able to hook and pulls person in the same turn. The scrap gun works like a shot gun up close and fills them with bits of metal. I just need to figure out how I can both be a meat shield and pull of the multi-attack combos.

leogobsin
2018-07-23, 06:45 AM
You could go Magic Initiate to get Thorn Whip, which is a Druid cantrip with 30' range that pulls a target 10' closer on a hit. Go Fighter and you'd be able to Action Surge and pull someone close then attack with your scattergun.

Unoriginal
2018-07-23, 06:46 AM
Any fighter or barbarian can be a meat shield with multi-attack combo.

To hook and pull characters... unless your DM let you use a Tlincalli spiked chain, I don't think there options to do that in 5e without magic.

You could go Magic Initiate to get Thorn Whip, which is a Druid cantrip with 30' range that pulls a target 10' closer on a hit. Go Fighter and you'd be able to Action Surge and pull someone close then attack with your scattergun.

This work.

Fnissalot
2018-07-23, 06:47 AM
A druid level would give you some healing in addition to Thorn whip. Barbarian for unarmored defense. Crossbow expert to shot more?

JustWhatINeeded
2018-07-23, 06:48 AM
OK, now we're getting somewhere fun. If I want to use the four levels in fighter to get magic initiate for the thorn spell, does it say I need to pull them as a separate action?

leogobsin
2018-07-23, 06:50 AM
OK, now we're getting somewhere fun. If I want to use the four levels in fighter to get magic initiate for the thorn spell, does it say I need to pull them as a separate action?

Thorn Whip takes an action to cast, and a target is automatically pulled if it hits. Also, if you go Variant Human you could get the feat at level 1.

JustWhatINeeded
2018-07-23, 06:55 AM
Now, say if I wanted to do fighter for the solid health and extra attacks would it be wise to do gunslinger or should I choose something else?

Unoriginal
2018-07-23, 07:05 AM
Now, say if I wanted to do fighter for the solid health and extra attacks would it be wise to do gunslinger or should I choose something else?

Given there is no official Gunslinger class, which homebrew are you talking about?

leogobsin
2018-07-23, 07:06 AM

Kinda depends. Seems like having a gun is pretty core to the character concept, so if your DM would only let you have firearm proficiency by going Gunslinger then the decision's kind of made for you.

JustWhatINeeded
2018-07-23, 07:08 AM
Ah, I meant sharpshooter but I kind of dismissed the idea, I was think eldricth knight instead for some sweet buffs and that level 7 can trip plus weapon attack as a bonus feature so that I could hook with the magical thorn, shoot and shoot up to 3 more times at level 7. With extra attack and weapon surge of course which would be just devastating up close with the scrap gun, either that or a battle master for maneuvers.

Unoriginal
2018-07-23, 07:26 AM
I think Cavalier would work well to add battlefield control and tanking to your build.

Plus, you know, Roadhog. He rides.

Vogie
2018-07-23, 08:47 AM
Ah, I meant sharpshooter but I kind of dismissed the idea, I was think eldricth knight instead for some sweet buffs and that level 7 can trip plus weapon attack as a bonus feature so that I could hook with the magical thorn, shoot and shoot up to 3 more times at level 7. With extra attack and weapon surge of course which would be just devastating up close with the scrap gun, either that or a battle master for maneuvers.

I'd do Hunter Ranger 3 / EK X

Lightning Lure is a similar ability, and would be available without Magic Initiate, as it's a wizard Cantrip already (SCAG), even though it's less powerful due to the STR. Then, the Horde Breaker mechanic from Hunter Ranger to give you a faux AoE as to mimic the "spread weapon" effect. Between Second Wind and the Healing Ranger Spells, you'll have the "Take a Breather" mechanic down.

Unoriginal
2018-07-23, 09:39 AM
You could also take a few levels of Warlock and get Eldritch Blast (easy to reflavor as a sharpnel gun) with the "pull enemy to you" Invocation.

Fyorl
2018-07-23, 09:52 AM
Only being able to do the pull & hook once per short rest with Action Surge doesn't sound like much to me. Have you considered Sorcerer? With Quicken metamagic you can lightning lure for the hook and follow up with a quickened magic missile for the shrapnel and you can do that as many times as you have sorcery points available. Perhaps a dip into Paladin for heavy armour to be more durable and Lay on Hands as roadhog's self heal.