PDA

View Full Version : Spell that adds lightning damage to a weapon

astrerouge
2018-07-23, 08:50 AM
I've been creating a stormcaster gish and I was wondering if there was any spell that would let me add lightning damage to a weapon outside of weapon of energy

I ask because i would like to get more lightning on my weapon (i am already using energize weapon) so i would get more stun chance and more sonic damage but also because I would really like for most of my damage to be from lightning because I had this idea for a while of a gish using a lightning bolt as a lance and I would prefer if the damage reflected that, instead of being mostly force.

I prioritize spell in sorcerer's list since i cast as one but i am only level 12 so if it comes from another list i could probably go for it using some manner of prestige class

For context I am a gish using spelldancer to persist a thunderlance, weapon of energy and lord of the sky (the dm has accept thunderlance and energize as viable persist target and thunderlance as a weapon that can be buffed by energy weapon, he is also on board with my idea of multiple stun chance per attack)

Is there any such spell?

heavyfuel
2018-07-23, 09:21 AM
"Lightning damage" doesn't exist in D&D. There's "electricity damage" and there's "sonic damage". Which do you mean?

What spell is Energize Weapon? What book's it from?

You could get the "Energy Substitution" feat and simply add it to any spells that normally add energy damage to weapons, like Blades of Fire (SpC).

rrwoods
2018-07-23, 11:19 AM
Not a spell, but a crystal of energy assault adds electricity damage (or any other elemental damage you want, chosen at the time the crystal is made/purchased).

Nifft
2018-07-23, 11:25 AM

Probably (lesser) energy surge (PHB2) or weapon of energy (SpC).

EDIT: Additionally there's energized shield, which can be used with shield bash to inflict energy damage.

Telonius
2018-07-23, 11:29 AM
"Lightning damage" doesn't exist in D&D. There's "electricity damage" and there's "sonic damage". Which do you mean?

You could get the "Energy Substitution" feat and simply add it to any spells that normally add energy damage to weapons, like Blades of Fire (SpC).

Wizards Archives (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20030328b), from the Mind's Eye series. It's the second-level ability of the Kineticist prestige class:

Energize Weapon (Sp): At 2nd level, the kineticist can activate this ability as a move-equivalent action. One weapon she holds is bathed in psionic energy that harms neither her nor the weapon. The weapon deals +1d6 points of damage of the appropriate energy type, in addition to its normal damage. (Projectile weapons bestow this damage on their ammunition.) The weapon remains energized until the kineticist releases it or dismisses it as a free action. A character can use this ability at will as long as her power point reserve is 9 or more.

It's also a thing from Pathfinder (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/occult-adventures/occult-classes/kineticist/infusion-wild-talents/).

darkdragoon
2018-07-23, 11:31 AM
Weapon of Energy is a power:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/weaponofEnergy.htm

Glorious Master of the Elements or something to that effect is in Dragon Magic but a lot of these conflict unless you have a bunch of standard actions. And Thunderhead, I guess.

PunBlake
2018-07-23, 11:58 AM
I'm not coming up with helpful spells; instead, here are a couple items from the MIC.
Ring of Mystic Lightning is your friend. Blow all the charges per day on your persisted Weapon of Energy to gain +4d6 electricity damage. The free +1 competence to CL with [electricity] spells is a bonus.
While Bracers of Lightning explicitly does what you want on the can (swift action to activate, all attacks do +1d6 electricity damage for 1r, no limit on activation), it's not worth the price in gold or action economy unless you have literally nothing better to do with swift actions in combat.

astrerouge
2018-07-23, 12:53 PM
yeah my bad I meant weeapon of energy from spell compendium, energise weapon is a pathfinder spell that does similar
And yeah i meant elecricity damage

And the ring of mystic lightning seems really good for my character

and energy substituting spells such as blades of fire seems like a good idea, but it will have to wait for my next feat

Thank you for the help

Elrak
2018-07-26, 02:18 AM
Not what you asked for, but Sonic Weapon might be thematically appropiate for your character and is only a 2nd level spell with a good duration.

On a tangent note, if you go for the feat born of three thunders after you have gotten energy substitution, any sonic spell you cast that deals hit point damage can deal halve its damage as electricity plus having a chance to stun and knock over your oponents.

mabriss lethe
2018-07-26, 11:09 AM
The level 2 wu jen spell Lightning Blade might be a useful base.

liquidformat
2018-07-26, 12:25 PM
what is your build for this gish that should be helpful in what is available. For instance, shocking grasp is more or less bread and butter of duskblades and I believe there is a MIC item that boosts it but afb at the moment.

Ramza00
2018-07-26, 01:59 PM
Just do Energy Substitution Electric.

Sonic Weapon 2nd level, duration 1 min per caster level, +1d6 sonic damage standard action cast, energy substitution to Electric, Stormcasters Thunderbolt adds some sonic damage and a fort save.
Burning Sword 2nd level, duration 1 min per caster level, 1d6 fire damage standard action cast, energy substitution to Electric, Stormcasters Thunderbolt adds some sonic damage and a fort save.

Blade of Fire 1st Level, duration 1 round, 1d8 fire damage swift action cast, energy substitution to Electric, Stormcasters Thunderbolt adds some sonic damage and a fort save.

Spell Matrix and Spell Matrix Lesser (Spell Compendium) allows you to cast standard action spells as a swift action with some preparation. Spell Matrix Lesser allows 1 spell per swift action, and Spell Matrix allows you to do 2 spells per swift action. Aka once you reach 7th level spells with your gish you get two saves vs fort or be daze for every attack your weapon makes.

If you can buff before the battle, you can also do Born of the Three Thunders and you do not care about the daze effect for 1 round for you cast the spell prior to the battle.

Jay R
2018-07-26, 03:42 PM
It's not a spell; it's Item Creation.

With the Craft Magic Arms and Armor feat (and sufficient time and gold), you can add the special ability Shock to a weapon.

Gingaroth
2018-07-30, 01:24 AM
I could not find any better spell that those already mentioned, but maybe some of these ideas can help you create the kind of character you want:

Feats:
Energy Admixture from The Complete Arcane – spells that do energy damage do extra damage with a second type of energy, or double damage with the same kind.
Storm bolt from The Complete Mage – shoot lines of lightning as long as you have a electricity spell in reserve
Blue Dragon Lineage from Dragon Magic- convert arcane spells into orbs of lightning

Classes:
The Evoker variant base class from Unearthed Arcana offers several energy-type based benefits in exchange for your familiar and bonus feats. It would probably require you to rebuild your character, though, if your DM permits that.

The Stormcaster class prestige class from Stormwreck
Benefit: numerous electricity, sonic and wind themed abilities. E.g.: from level 5, any spell you cast that deals electricity damage also deals an extra 1 point of sonic damage per spell level and stuns any creature damaged by the spell for 1 round
Downside: no spell progression on level 1.

The Elemental Warrior prestige class from the Planar Handbook
Benefit: At level 3, you get the ability to imbue your weapon with the energy type of your choice, to do 2d6 points extra damage on each hit. You can use this once/ class level, and it lasts one minute.
Downside: No spell progression. Benefits from level 1 and 2 are meh at best.

The Elemental savant from The Complete Arcane
Benefit: Numerous useful energy-based abilities. E.g.: from level 1, any spell cast by you that normally deals any kind of energy damage, now deals – in your case- electricity damage, without changing the casting time.
Downside: no spell progression on levels 5 and 10.

astrerouge
2018-08-01, 04:10 PM
Sorry about the late feedback, lots of responses.
Seeing as I dont know how to quote on this site ill just address most thing one by one
-admixture will be one of my next feat, evoker is a wizard acf and i am a sorc (i prefer spontaneous caster, since the preparation of spells stresses me out xp), and the 2 feats to shoot more lightning doesnt really help me since i persist nearly all my spell and i stick mainly to meleeing with my buffed thunderlance, stormcaster is already in my build up to level 5 , elemental warrior seems to offer too few benefits for a limited buff but elemental savant could be worth it, especially since i do not yet know where my build go from here

-Item creation does not help in this situation since i am fighting with a spell i summon each day

-sonic weapon is great, as will be burning sword and blades of fire will be great once i get energy substitution, the spell matrix spell i wont use since i can persist spells for free and the dm has ruled that spell used to buff my own weapon were legit target for persist

about born of the 3 thunder, since the dm has offered the ruling that each spell adding sonic or electricity damage was proccing the stormcaster chance to stun, it has been decided that i wouldnt use this feat

My build is a kobold sorc (with the ritual granting another caster level) with a free bluedragonspawn abomination template (which gets me 2 more spellcasting level and fast healing, the rolls were made by the dm)* metaphysical spellshaper 3, stormcaster 5
the reason why i can basically persist as much as i want is because the dm has permit strongheartvest to work with the metaphysical shaper and with a buch of feats invest, i reduced the ability damage i take by 5 so free persist

the free la comes from the campaign, the dm wanted a campaign with more variety than human, especially since its a multiplane campain and he decided that depending on the player and character concept, there would be some free la to get interesting concept (this rule also apply to major encounter, that is important npc, boss and some others

*I was only taking dragonspawn to get +1 caster but the dm told me about the ability table and roll, got a 100 which gave 2 rolls that amounted to fast healing and another spellcaster lvl, I decided to do a gish character using this so as to not lord over others, mainly using those bonus caster level to qualify early but also to basically fill up dead casting level in otherwise interesting casting prc

My backstory is that im a child to a gnome wizard that eradicated a kobold colony (that was peaceful) in the name of his god, but his god punished him for having killed so many innocent in his name. As punishment, his firstborn was born a kobold with the soul a blue dragon, in the hope that he would realise that not all that which is different deserve death, and that good and evil were not dependant on race

The main idea or theme behind the character is that i am a storm, lightning and magic are in equal parts in my vein, my spells are nearly all oriented toward this thematic, the electricity infused thunderlance being a bolt of lightning in my hand, a persist friendly fire reproduce a storm batting projectiles away, dimension jumper is me turning into lightning to move in a flash, lord of the sky, greater blink and freedom of movement are me partially turning into lightning (blink still count me as ethereal, the lighting bit is mostly how i represent it and is purely thematic), wing of flurry is a clap of thunder, etc.

seeing as i am so persist heavy and how these spells help my character be the storm he feel he is, he has a phobic fear of dispell and will usually react either with extreme prejudice to a dispeller or flee depending on the situation and the reason is that my character hate feeling weak and mortal, he has a dragon soul but without his spells he is powerless (he cannot comprehend that being a dragonspawn abomination makes him a relatively intimadating individual without magic but he cant see that, for that is nothing compare to the might of a storm in his eyes)

i dont know why i delivered all of this at the end, but hope it might interest people

Elricaltovilla
2018-08-01, 04:30 PM
Sorry about the late feedback, lots of responses.
Seeing as I dont know how to quote on this site ill just address most thing one by one

At the bottom of each response is a little " symbol with "reply with quote" next to it. To the left of that is a "+ symbol. If you click on that a small green check mark will appear. Every reply you click on the "+ symbol of will be added as a quote box to your reply when you click on the reply button for the thread.

astrerouge
2018-08-01, 04:35 PM
At the bottom of each response is a little " symbol with "reply with quote" next to it. To the left of that is a "+ symbol. If you click on that a small green check mark will appear. Every reply you click on the "+ symbol of will be added as a quote box to your reply when you click on the reply button for the thread.

oh thank you very much

Falontani
2018-08-02, 02:57 AM
Your dm seems very permissive, you should look into enchanting a lance with permanent thunder lance, so you don't need to persist it each day, and so you can create/enchant your weapon. But that requires custom magic item design, which may be a no go.

astrerouge
2018-08-02, 08:15 AM
Your dm seems very permissive, you should look into enchanting a lance with permanent thunder lance, so you don't need to persist it each day, and so you can create/enchant your weapon. But that requires custom magic item design, which may be a no go.

The issue with using a magic item for this is that i dislike when a part of a character concept is item dependant, items like ring of mystic lightning are great because they complement the concept by improving but is not otherwise required whereas such an item would be necessary, without it my concept would cease to work

But that could be a great idea for other concepts, i always forget about custom magic item and a prismatic bow user could be nice one day

sleepyphoenixx
2018-08-02, 09:22 AM
If you use the Imbued Staff ACF (Dragon #338, replaces familiar) you can channel melee touch spells through your staff familiar.
This one works really well with the instantaneous touch spells that get you multiple hits like Storm Touch (MoE) for +9d6 electricity damage + stun per hit.