PDA

View Full Version : Help Me With My Druid Spells!

TerakasTaranath
2018-07-23, 09:24 AM
So I'm a druid, level 4 with a 16 wisdom and my circle is circle of the shepherd. What spells should I take? Currently I keep switching them all out and the only one I seem to stick to is healing word just so when our party life cleric goes down I can get him up. Any help is appreciated!:D

nickl_2000
2018-07-23, 09:29 AM
What role do you play in your party?

What is the campaign setting like (or what campaign if it's a pre-built)?

Who else is in the party?

What kind of play style do you enjoy?

TerakasTaranath
2018-07-23, 09:34 AM
The role I aim to be is summoner but I can't do that yet as I am to low level.

Setting is homebrew, sorta low fantasy but my magic wont be restricted just viewed as a little weird in certain small towns. Large cities are fine and used to mages and the like.

Party has a xbow focused human ranger(my chars brother), half orc barbarian, halfling rogue and wood elf life cleric. Cleric and rogue are level 5, the rest of use are level 4.

I normally play fighters and other dex based melee combatants so this style is totally different to me and I'm loving it. I want to be mainly a summoner but for now I'm fine with supporting, I've used darkvision on my human brother or the halfling and so on. Battle field control would be fun too, I'm not entirely sure what roles are appropriate for a druid also. I imagine damage isn't my forte.

nickl_2000
2018-07-23, 09:50 AM
Thanks, here's a quick view of the spells at level 4 that I consider worth investing in.

Level 1:
Absorb Elements - if you are getting hit with elemental damage this can literally save your life.
Healing Word - As you said, keep everyone up and alive
Goodberry - Cast it before you go to bed with extra spells slots and have great out of combat healing.
Detect Magic - I love this as a ritual to find things in dungeons, it finds a lot of traps, and in general can be a great spell to have prepared.
Entangle - Restrained is an awesome condition. Advantage on attacks against them, disadvantage on their attacks. Your archer and rogue will love it. Be careful with placement though so you don't catch allies in it
Faerie Fire - Advantage on all attacks? Yes please, it's just plain amazing

Level 2:
Darkvision - great non concentration buff for your allies
Enhance Ability - good utility out of combat
Flaming Sphere - Awesome battlefield control and damage all in one.
Healing Spirit - Best healing spell in the game, period.
Heat Metal - Sweet control to remove a weapon from a big bad or to cause unblockable damage for someone wearing metal armor
Hold Person - all attacks are at advantage and all hits are crits. Your Rogue will be drooling at this!
Lesser Restoration - Poisoned is a nasty condition, if your cleric doesn't have this it's worth keeping around
Pass without a trace - makes sneakiness possible for those that aren't sneaky.
Spike Growth - Another great control spell, and damage to boot.

Overall the ones I find most effective in all situations
Healing Word, Goodberry, Faerie Fire, Healing Spirit, Flaming Sphere.

If you are around humanoids then Hold Person is a must.

Hymer wrote an amazing guide here if you haven't read it yet
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?545558-5e-Druid-Handbook-Dreams-Land-Moon-and-Shepherd&p=22693950#post22693950

Corpsecandle717
2018-07-23, 09:52 AM
I run a moon druid at the same level. Healing word and good berry are pretty much permanently on my list. I pass out the goodberries before combat so every has an easy way to bring people up from 0. Healing Spirit is pretty stable resident too. It's great out of combat healing (poke around on this forum and you'll find a couple threads saying its too powerful lol).

Then I normally have faire fire, or entangle on my list. Most often one or the other but sometimes both. Heat metal is very good, and I get a lot of mileage out of moonbeam. I know it's a con save and all, but it does quite well for our current level, but I don't expect it to be useful forever. Pass without trace is amazing for any sort of party sneaking.

Other than those it's pretty much whatever I think might be useful for the day. Tracking someone in the woods: speak with animals, going down in a cave: darkvision. Current adventure has us going after a necromancer in a dungeon so I've got lesser resto on my list along with spike growth.

TerakasTaranath
2018-07-23, 10:47 AM
Thanks, here's a quick view of the spells at level 4 that I consider worth investing in.

Level 1:
Absorb Elements - if you are getting hit with elemental damage this can literally save your life.
Healing Word - As you said, keep everyone up and alive
Goodberry - Cast it before you go to bed with extra spells slots and have great out of combat healing.
Detect Magic - I love this as a ritual to find things in dungeons, it finds a lot of traps, and in general can be a great spell to have prepared.
Entangle - Restrained is an awesome condition. Advantage on attacks against them, disadvantage on their attacks. Your archer and rogue will love it. Be careful with placement though so you don't catch allies in it
Faerie Fire - Advantage on all attacks? Yes please, it's just plain amazing

Level 2:
Darkvision - great non concentration buff for your allies
Enhance Ability - good utility out of combat
Flaming Sphere - Awesome battlefield control and damage all in one.
Healing Spirit - Best healing spell in the game, period.
Heat Metal - Sweet control to remove a weapon from a big bad or to cause unblockable damage for someone wearing metal armor
Hold Person - all attacks are at advantage and all hits are crits. Your Rogue will be drooling at this!
Lesser Restoration - Poisoned is a nasty condition, if your cleric doesn't have this it's worth keeping around
Pass without a trace - makes sneakiness possible for those that aren't sneaky.
Spike Growth - Another great control spell, and damage to boot.

Overall the ones I find most effective in all situations
Healing Word, Goodberry, Faerie Fire, Healing Spirit, Flaming Sphere.

If you are around humanoids then Hold Person is a must.

Hymer wrote an amazing guide here if you haven't read it yet
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?545558-5e-Druid-Handbook-Dreams-Land-Moon-and-Shepherd&p=22693950#post22693950

I almost took flame sphere but last night I took gust of wind, should I have taken flame sphere?

nickl_2000
2018-07-23, 10:52 AM
I almost took flame sphere but last night I took gust of wind, should I have taken flame sphere?

Hard to tell. Flaming Sphere is a really good damage dealer at your level, especially since you can use a cantrip to damage and the bonus action flaming sphere.

That being said, you are a divine caster. So, the spells you prepare each day should be based on the situation. If you know you will be doing things on water when you are higher levels you prepare water walk and water breathing. If you are in a desert, you don't bother.

TerakasTaranath
2018-07-24, 10:22 AM
Hard to tell. Flaming Sphere is a really good damage dealer at your level, especially since you can use a cantrip to damage and the bonus action flaming sphere.

That being said, you are a divine caster. So, the spells you prepare each day should be based on the situation. If you know you will be doing things on water when you are higher levels you prepare water walk and water breathing. If you are in a desert, you don't bother.

After reading flaming sphere I kinda think it's the better choice but like you said it depends. I really just wanted advice on what to do for my 1st and 2nd lvl spells because I'll be summoning once I hit 5th lvl.