PDA

View Full Version : Build Agent Smith

Grear Bylls
2018-07-23, 11:42 AM
Hey guys!

I've been thinking about making weird characters from movies in D&D that actively know they're D&D characters. My first was Deadpool. Now, agent smith.

Im wanting to build him AL style from the first matrix movie. No resurrections, cloning, etc. Just bear bones, Agent Smith. I'd like to replicate inability to die, Martial Arts, and Handgun expertise. The ability to jump into another's body only seems accessible through Magic Jar, so I'll just pass on that one. However, the other abilities seem accessible through a Long Death Monk, with a level or 2 in Fighter or X-Bow ability. Other than that, what feats, race, and other stuff would you pick?

Vogie
2018-07-23, 12:14 PM
I'd say Great Old One Warlock 14 / Shadow Sorcerer 1 / Open Hand Monk 3. If you're married to Hand crossbow specifically (warlocks have access to light crossbows), you can choose Kensai monk (choosing it as a kensai weapon) or start with a level of fighter (which gives you a fighting style as well).

That gives you Strength of the Grave to keep you alive once per long rest, Martial arts, and the ability to gain control of incapacitated humanoids. It isn't full possession, but it's pretty close. You'll also have a bunch of telepathy related spells, such as clairvoyance & detect thoughts, which keeps that Agent feel.

Unoriginal
2018-07-23, 12:46 PM
Agent Smith, as the other Agents, uses what is actually a very simplistic fighting style (as many articles on the fight choreography of the Matrix movies pointed out). Face to the varied martial arts of the humans, the Agents use... straight punches, center-mass, and a few kicks, with a couple slightly hooked punches. It symbolize the utter lack of imagination and "soul" the Agents have.

How can the Agents be so dangerous, then? Well, they're just that strong and that fast compared to normal humans beings.

So, I'd say that to represent this, you'd be better of with a Variant Human Champion Fighter or Zealot Barbarian with Tavern Brawler, then get feats or ASI that make you act faster/hit stronger.

Quoxis
2018-07-23, 12:57 PM
The cloning can be achieved by three levels of trickery cleric - both its channel divinity and the mirror image spell. Gunshots can be reflavored spells of any class (maybe even with a cleric‘s sacred flame - bullets taking a dex save to dodge isn’t too far fetched), and long death monk is just great for martial arts (even if Smith isn’t an artist when it comes to that, effectiveness with unarmed strikes can’t be emulated without monk imo).
Theoretically there’s always the option of a strength monk to mesh it with barbarian - your AC will suffer, but that way Smith would take a lot of blows and still stand due to rage (against the machine... or with?).

Connington
2018-07-23, 01:54 PM
I want to go on the record that I think directly copying characters from media is the worst kind of creative laziness, and trying to retrofit a modern/sci-fi character into a pseudo-medieval fantasy kitchen sink game is like trying to port Angry Birds to play by email.

But Zealot Barbarian with Tavern Brawler gets you a no-nonsense face-puncher who can easily be brought back from the dead because of his relationship with "the Matrix". Sprinkle on 3-7 other random classes for whatever other goodies you want.

Kadesh
2018-07-23, 01:57 PM
I want to go on the record that I think directly copying characters from media is the worst kind of creative laziness, and trying to retrofit a modern/sci-fi character into a pseudo-medieval fantasy kitchen sink game is like trying to port Angry Birds to play by email.
What's the weather like up there on that high horse you have?

LibbyLishly
2018-07-23, 04:47 PM
I feel like a Smith build would either have to have enough levels of Trickery Cleric to hit Improved Duplicity or have access to Simulacrum for a sufficient number of dopplegangers running around. Unless, of course, he just employs a large number of actual dopplegangers.

EDIT: Oh gosh, ignore me, I just reread the first post and saw that you DON'T want to replicate his clone ability.

GlenSmash!
2018-07-23, 05:52 PM
Zealot barbarian gets his immortality and righteous hatred for the Matrix and it's inhabitants. As an agent he carries a Desert Eagle. A re fluffed crossbow would work. Crossbow expert feat makes sense, as does Tavern Brawler for increased fist damage.
It's not AL legal, but a Juggernaut Warforged from today's Unearthed Arcana would fit nicely.

Talionis
2018-07-24, 11:59 AM
The cloning can be achieved by three levels of trickery cleric - both its channel divinity and the mirror image spell. Gunshots can be reflavored spells of any class (maybe even with a cleric‘s sacred flame - bullets taking a dex save to dodge isn’t too far fetched), and long death monk is just great for martial arts (even if Smith isn’t an artist when it comes to that, effectiveness with unarmed strikes can’t be emulated without monk imo).
Theoretically there’s always the option of a strength monk to mesh it with barbarian - your AC will suffer, but that way Smith would take a lot of blows and still stand due to rage (against the machine... or with?).

I will second this as a suggestion... I would also suggest that it might be appropriate if the level of the campaign is high enough to give them Magic Jar in a magical item or if they are NPC's just grant that as some sort of innate racial ability.

For the record, I think this is a great way to build a monster... You start from something in media and then make it your own. Don't be too beholden to the source material though.

sithlordnergal
2018-07-24, 12:20 PM
I'd 100% go Zealot Barbarian / Open Hand Monk.That'll make it impossible to kill you while you are raging, and allow you enough Monk levels to actually do some damage with your attacks. Pretty sure a Hand Crossbow is a martial weapon, so you should be able to use it as a barbarian

sithlordnergal
2018-07-24, 12:24 PM

Really? I find just it to be just the opposite. Usually it's harder to build someone based off of directly copying media since most characters have such a wide variety of skill sets. The difficulty, in turn, gives me a challenge that causes me to think more on how to properly build a usable character while still keeping true to whatever media character I chose. Though I will admit it is a mechanical challenge rather then a story challenge...but then I mostly focus purely on mechanical stuff anyway and don't bother with story/rp stuff/back story unless I really feel some inspiration.

Grear Bylls
2018-07-24, 01:04 PM
Mostly everyone agrees that this character should be built as a Zealot Barbarian with tavern brawler. I would love to do this, but unfortunately that's the exact character I'm currently playing. Literally.

I totally agree with you guys, but how would you make him without Zealot levels or Tavern Brawler?

GlenSmash!
2018-07-24, 01:07 PM

I play D&D to imagine myself in a fantastical world similar to what I have grown to love from books, movies, television, and video games.

Every character I play derives in one way or another from Aragorn, Conan, Logen Ninefingers, Thrall son of Durotan, etc etc etc.

Grear Bylls
2018-07-24, 01:11 PM
Really? I find just it to be just the opposite. Usually it's harder to build someone based off of directly copying media since most characters have such a wide variety of skill sets. The difficulty, in turn, gives me a challenge that causes me to think more on how to properly build a usable character while still keeping true to whatever media character I chose. Though I will admit it is a mechanical challenge rather then a story challenge...but then I mostly focus purely on mechanical stuff anyway and don't bother with story/rp stuff/back story unless I really feel some inspiration.

This is how I feel about it. In AL, things typically don't delve into player baclstories. I feel AL is more about having fun than story, at least where I go. If I was in a serious home game with a focused plot, I'd definitely agree with you. This was more of a fun thought experiment than anything else. Also, I like the idea of modern characters switching out their signature weapons for medieval versions (pistols -> Hand Crossbows, Katanas -> Longswords, etc. )

Unoriginal
2018-07-24, 01:19 PM
Mostly everyone agrees that this character should be built as a Zealot Barbarian with tavern brawler. I would love to do this, but unfortunately that's the exact character I'm currently playing. Literally.

I totally agree with you guys, but how would you make him without Zealot levels or Tavern Brawler?

A Tabaxi Champion Fighter who principally uses his claws, refluffed to look human. Use the Tabaxi's trademark speed to represent the Agent's similar velocity.

Vogie
2018-07-24, 01:40 PM

Why not Long Death monk with a splash of either Barbarian or Seeker warlock for damage resistance? if you go warlock, you can refluff the EB as the gun, and Seeker has the travel-oriented bonus spells to make you unnaturally fast.

GlenSmash!
2018-07-24, 01:45 PM
What about a ranger with favored enemy Human :smallcool:

Hunter's mark could be a way simulate how hard it is to run from an agent.

Horizon Walker could be a way to represent popping up in an unlikely place (in an agents case someone's body).

Grear Bylls
2018-07-24, 01:57 PM
Why not Long Death monk with a splash of either Barbarian or Seeker warlock for damage resistance? if you go warlock, you can refluff the EB as the gun, and Seeker has the travel-oriented bonus spells to make you unnaturally fast.

What about a ranger with favored enemy Human :smallcool:

Hunter's mark could be a way simulate how hard it is to run from an agent.

Horizon Walker could be a way to represent popping up in an unlikely place (in an agents case someone's body).

Ooh. Like these. Didn't think of doing a few levels into barbarian. Probably would go 1 level Monk, then 1 into barb, 10 into Monk, then two more back into barbarian. Couldn't go Zealot due to SCaG being my book of choice. Or, I could go open hand Monk over long death. That would do it too. Stats would probably be:

V Human: X-bow Xpert
14 Str
15 (+1) Dex
12 Con
10 Int
13 (+1) Wis
8 Cha

Ranger definitely seems like a cool fit. Could sink levels into it later