PDA

View Full Version : Keidran (A new Race)

BizzaroStormy
2007-09-11, 03:36 PM
I took a race from a web comic and made some adjustments for D&D Purposes. I'd appreciate you CONSTRUCTIVE criticism and any suggestions you may have. The comic can be found at http://www.2kinds.com

Keidran (Kee-dren)

Physical Description: Looks like a hybrid-form Lycanthrope. Animal depends on clan (see clans)

Ability Mods: Depends on clan

Racial Features:

= Medium
= Low Light Vision 60’
= -2 on diplomacy checks vs. Non-Keidran
= +2 to diplomacy checks vs. Keidran, +4 if target is of same clan
= Once per month for 1 week females enter a week-long “heat”. During this time they are very sexually attracted to non-hostile males regardless of race. Sex is possible with other races but reproduction is not. At the end of the heat 12 hours of rest is required or the character is fatigued until they receive proper rest.
= When at 0 or lower HP, instead of going unconscious, the Keidran enter a feral state in which they attack those they judge to be enemies relentlessly until no enemies remain. At this point they turn on whatever living thing is closest. During the feral state, the character loses HP normally as if dying. Once per round on her turn the Keidran may make a Will save (DC=10+ 1/2HD) to end the feral state and immediately fall unconscious.
= Keidran are carnivorous. Eating bread, fruit, or vegetable causes them to be sickened for 12 hours or until the food is purged.
= Keidran have trouble holding their booze. A mug of average ale would be the alcohol equivelent of 3 mugs to a Keidran. Instead they drink a milky drink which also acts as an aphrodisiac.
= Unarmed strike is replaced by a claw attack.(1d4)

--Clans—

Wolf
Preferred Class: Wizard
Ability Mods: +2 Int –2Cha
The wolf clan is focused mainly on spellcasting and may choose a spell at each Wizard level (provided they can cast it)of the Illusion school, which can be cast in exchange for a spell slot equal to or higher than the spell level. (like a cleric does with cure spells)

Tiger
Preferred Class: Fighter
Ability Mods: +2 Str –2 Cha
The tiger clan it trained very well in the use of the Keidran War Claw (see in post below) and a tiger clan member gains Exotic Weapon Procifency (Keidran War Claw) as a bonus feat even if they do not meet the prerequisites.

Fox
Preferred Class: Rogue
Ability Mods: +2 Dex -2 Cha
Rogues of the fox clan are trained to deceive others in combat and may perform a feint as a move action provided they have not move at all during their turn. (this grants you sneak attack bonus if you feint and attack without moving)

Cheetah (was shown in the comic but only like a cameo appearance)
Preferred Class: Barbarian
Ability Mods: +2 Con -2 Cha
Barbarians of this clan are unnaturally fast an gain a land speed bonus equal to their natural land speed when raging. This replaces the Fast Movement class ability.

EvilElitest
2007-09-11, 03:39 PM
I see where you got the idea, but a tad bit more fluff could really be needed
from,
EE

BizzaroStormy
2007-09-11, 03:42 PM
What do you mean by "fluff"?

The Neoclassic
2007-09-11, 03:58 PM
I think by "fluff" EvilElitist is referring to culture and background on the race.

The race looks good for the most part (though I am not familiar with the comic it is based on). Your suggestive content (heat and aphrodisiacs) may not be appreciated by some players with sensibilities against such things, but I don't think it'd be a problem for most groups. They almost seem a bit weak; another skill bonus or similar would make them a stronger race. The heat is a disadvantage for females (though most of it should be conducted via roleplaying), so people might prefer to play males unless they had some other penalty. Being carnivorous I would almost consider a racial penalty, though it would depend on the setting (I would let them have a Will save of DC 15 + 1 per ounce of non-meat consumed to avoid being sickened, though they would still not enjoy what they consume).

Hope some of that helps.

BizzaroStormy
2007-09-11, 04:04 PM
As for cultural stuff ive taken what the comic gives and have tried to fill in most of the holes but im saving that for when i get the race ok as far as being balanced. There were skill bonuses depending on the clan but i forgot to put those in the document.

Wolf +2 Spellcraft

Tiger +2 Intimidate

Fox +2 Slight of Hand

As for the save to resist being sickened wouldnt it be CON based?

The Neoclassic
2007-09-11, 04:43 PM
Yeah, Con based would probably be better, I just think "Oh, I am willing myself to remain composed and not be sick", but I'm weird like that- make it Fort save. Skill bonuses look good.

EvilElitest
2007-09-11, 04:46 PM
As for cultural stuff ive taken what the comic gives and have tried to fill in most of the holes but im saving that for when i get the race ok as far as being balanced. There were skill bonuses depending on the clan but i forgot to put those in the document.

Wolf +2 Spellcraft

Tiger +2 Intimidate

Fox +2 Slight of Hand

As for the save to resist being sickened wouldnt it be CON based?

I've never read the comic, so i really don't know anything at all about the race, so to me it is just a bunch of stats. I really need some background to really care, because other wise it is a bunch of numbers
from,
EE

blue_fenix
2007-09-11, 04:53 PM
With the skill bonuses, this seems like a pretty well balanced race, slightly weaker than dwarves, but dwarves are often considered the best PHB race anyway. The only thing I don't like is that the -2 cha combined with -2 on cha based skill checks makes it really hard to make a party leader / face with one of these.

Lord Tataraus
2007-09-11, 05:10 PM
Hey PirateJesus, nice to see you on the Playground. (don't worry, I can confidently say their are extremely few a$$holes on this forum, just to point to your first statement)

So, some critique: For the Wolf clan, I would suggest you limit the spontaneous spells to a certain school that seems appropriate (such as illusion, enchantment, or a descriptor such as necromancy or fire).

Is the claw attack the same damage as an unarmed strike or is it 1d4 or 1d6? Normally claw attacks from medium creatures are 1d4.

The Tiger clan would have weapon familiarity with the selected weapon (making it a martial weapon) instead of Exotic Weapon Proficiency feat.

Lastly, I think the -2 on all Cha checks vs. non-Keidran is a little extreme. This includes intimidate, bluff, disguise, etc. Are you sure thats what you want as opposed to a -2 on diplomacy? Especially with all the other drawbacks this makes them slightly sub par IMO.

Of course, to really check the stats, background (i.e. fluff) would be invaluable.

nobodylovesyou4
2007-09-11, 06:08 PM
Hey PirateJesus, nice to see you on the Playground. (don't worry, I can confidently say their are extremely few a$$holes on this forum, just to point to your first statement)

So, some critique: For the Wolf clan, I would suggest you limit the spontaneous spells to a certain school that seems appropriate (such as illusion, enchantment, or a descriptor such as necromancy or fire).

Is the claw attack the same damage as an unarmed strike or is it 1d4 or 1d6? Normally claw attacks from medium creatures are 1d4.

The Tiger clan would have weapon familiarity with the selected weapon (making it a martial weapon) instead of Exotic Weapon Proficiency feat.

Lastly, I think the -2 on all Cha checks vs. non-Keidran is a little extreme. This includes intimidate, bluff, disguise, etc. Are you sure thats what you want as opposed to a -2 on diplomacy? Especially with all the other drawbacks this makes them slightly sub par IMO.

Of course, to really check the stats, background (i.e. fluff) would be invaluable.

i suggested to him that he make it a -2 on diplomacy, actually, as initmidate, bluff, and disguise arent based too much on the whole "hating humans" thing.

and p-jesus, post the background stuff you told me whenever you feel.

Lord Tataraus
2007-09-11, 09:05 PM
Alright, read through the comic (pretty interesting actually) and they would definitely get a -2 to diplomacy, not all cha checks (in fact, humans seem to have an attraction to the keidran, but the whole racism and slavery thing negates that as a bonus).

BizzaroStormy
2007-09-11, 09:32 PM
Alright, read through the comic (pretty interesting actually) and they would definitely get a -2 to diplomacy, not all cha checks (in fact, humans seem to have an attraction to the keidran, but the whole racism and slavery thing negates that as a bonus).

It originally was a -2 to diplo vs. other races but Nobodylovesyou suggested the -2 to all cha checks.(epic fail)

Like I said, I took what I could of their culture shown in the comic and filled in as many holes as I could. (There are still a lot) As soon as I find some disposable time, i'll read thru the comic again and see what else I can find. And for the people who would be uncomfortable with the "suggestive themes" I have one argument:
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p88/Tschudy15/rpgartwork.jpg

BizzaroStormy
2007-09-11, 11:36 PM
Ok, by request, I read through the comic again and am posting the cultural notes I have. Text in Red is what is made up by me because it was either not shown in the comic or didnt seem right.

I also made a few changes to my first post.

Keidran Cultural Notes

· While Keidran acknowledge the existence of a creator, they commonly choose not to worship.
· Considered an adult at age 10 (venerable at age 33)
· Marriages are arranged one year after birth
· Males and females considered equal
· Common clothing is little more than a loincloth due to thick fur
· Extremely Untrusting of other races
· Take human slaves
· Are taken as slaves by humans
· When they die, 1 day is allowed for mourning and the body is then cremated and the ashes scattered
· Festival of the New Moon: Beginning at the sunset on each full moon and lasting 3 days and nights, humans and Keidran are considered equal in both societies. Slaves are “free” during the festival so long as they remain in the same city as their owners.
· Not commonly evil although uneasy and sometimes hostile towards other races.

BizzaroStormy
2007-09-12, 08:16 PM
Okay, I finally for the exotic weapon made for the tiger clan.

Keidran War Claw

Light Weapon

1d8 damage (slashing) 18-20/x2 crit

Description: Imagine a Katar. A brace on the back to stabalize the weapon against your wrist. And in place of the normal blade, 3 short sword length, claw shaped blades (sharp on both sides). Price 50g

Note: Crit Range was originally 19-20 and price was 100g. DM suggested higher crit range and lower price due to the fact it was an exotic weapon.

ahzreal
2008-07-09, 10:16 AM
Nicely done! ^_^ Not sure why the whole festival thing was in red... That happened, didn't it?

Oh! By the way, i'm running a d20 Future game, and we were gonna try to put the Keidren in as a playable race, so i'll let ya know how well they worked for us.