PDA

View Full Version : Movies ALITA BATTLE ANGEL Trailer 2

HandofShadows
2018-07-23, 02:05 PM
Seems they are staying fairly close to the manga with this. Once you get past the eyes, it's looking very good. :smallbiggrin:

https://youtu.be/X2BhLUFoIxY

Messed up the vid link I think. https://youtu.be/X2BhLUFoIxY

GrayDeath
2018-07-23, 02:18 PM
Dang, I want that, right now......

Eldan
2018-07-23, 03:33 PM
That looks considerably better than last time. Some quite nice sets, decent looking choreography.... shame about the eyes, still.

Kitten Champion
2018-07-23, 03:41 PM
I have no complaints, it legitimately looks like it'll be a fun movie.

After the existential disappointment of Ghost in the Shell last year, it's great to see a cyberpunk action movie and one that's based on a manga which actually looks like serious effort and care was put into it.

Clertar
2018-07-23, 04:07 PM
Wow. I have no idea about the manga, but wow. Altered Carbon + Blade Runner 2049 + Hero.

The choreography looks like they spent good time on, and the punches and kicks carry a very real weight. I'll say I'm impressed. It's probably bumped up to the top of my December list.

Mechalich
2018-07-23, 07:03 PM
Once you get past the eyes, it's looking very good.

But the eyes just Won't. Go. Away. It's not even that Alita has anime eyes, it's that absolutely no other character (including all the other cyborg types) does. It's incredibly distracting and I feel like it's going to eat this movie. There is no reason for Alita, and only Alita, to have anime eyes. It's such a gimmick in this and it really detracts from my interest.

GloatingSwine
2018-07-24, 04:07 AM
But the eyes just Won't. Go. Away. It's not even that Alita has anime eyes, it's that absolutely no other character (including all the other cyborg types) does. It's incredibly distracting and I feel like it's going to eat this movie. There is no reason for Alita, and only Alita, to have anime eyes. It's such a gimmick in this and it really detracts from my interest.

It's actually pretty similar to the source though. Especially early on, everyone else has much more normal sized eyes than Alita/Gally.

Anyway, Berzerker body confirmed, and I don't think we see anything of it in action. Should make for some explosive finale shenanigans.

Rodin
2018-07-24, 05:53 AM

Knowing nothing of the source material, it doesn't bother me. There's a bit of an Uncanney Valley effect, but having it just on Alita and the line from the trailer "You're the last of your kind" makes it seem like it's quite deliberate. It's noticeable, but not enough to squick me like some rotoscoped anime out there - Aku no Hana , for example.

Then again, I'm generally pretty immune to the effect anyway - I thought Tarkin in Rogue One looked fine, for example - so maybe I'm an exception here.

Mechalich
2018-07-24, 06:11 AM
It's actually pretty similar to the source though. Especially early on, everyone else has much more normal sized eyes than Alita/Gally.

While Alita has particularly large eyes compared to her fellow characters, the rest still very much have traditional big-eyes-small-mouth facial structures or have been drawn in sufficiently unusual ways that to represent them accurately would require digital rendering if they were being sourced appropriately. In the original material Alita's face is not intended to look abnormal compared to her contemporaries. In this film it will. That's a bizarre reinterpretation of the concept.

The Fury
2018-07-28, 04:23 PM

How early are we talking? I'd sort of agree that in the first volume, there's really only one character that has similarly big eyes to Alita...

The woman that used to own the arms Ido got for Alita.

Hugo also had eyes about the same size as Alita's, then there's Shumira. Later, as the story focus shifts to areas outside the Scrapyard we see a lot more large-eyed characters which suggested to me that Alita was meant to have a fairly normal face.