PDA

View Full Version : Revised Artificer Release Date

jaappleton
2018-07-23, 04:24 PM
So, of course, Mearls got a lot a questions about it, with the release of Wayfarer's Guide to Eberron.

https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/1021497674258935808

"Next month." -Mike Mearls

Grod_The_Giant
2018-07-23, 04:47 PM
So, of course, Mearls got a lot a questions about it, with the release of Wayfarer's Guide to Eberron.

https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/1021497674258935808

"Next month." -Mike Mearls
Oooh... one more thing on my list of good stuff in August.

MeeposFire
2018-07-23, 06:54 PM
I enjoyed the first draft for the most part but I do hope that they took into consideration the feedback on it because I think they can get something really great using that feedback (for instance I think a lot of us asked to make it a half caster rather than third caster).

jaappleton
2018-07-23, 06:57 PM
I enjoyed the first draft for the most part but I do hope that they took into consideration the feedback on it because I think they can get something really great using that feedback (for instance I think a lot of us asked to make it a half caster rather than third caster).

Half Caster with a 2nd attack. That's what I want.

MeeposFire
2018-07-23, 07:08 PM
Half Caster with a 2nd attack. That's what I want.

I had half caster, added cantrips (ones that relate to items or could be flavored using an item), ritual casting, and some changes to the sub classes (and of course suggesting additional sub classes based around alternative offensive options) to make them more effective at what I think they are trying to do. I also mentioned making them better item users (similar to how a thief is) and giving them the ability to use all magic items (and using more items earlier). Also moved the last ASI back to where it belongs (due to the 1/3 caster they moved the last ASI) and made sure after all was said and done no dead levels.

Lots of little changes to better reflect what I tink it should do. Listing everything out makes it sound bigger than it would be on the class write up (1/2 caster with cantrips and rituals sounds like a lot but really just makes it more like other users of magic for instance).

I could be ok with extra attack on it but that would require a much more involved change with the sub classes. I was trying to keep the overall structure more the same so that would not allow for extra attack I think (just like the rogue as both of the current sub classes are mimicking rogue damage).

Tetrasodium
2018-07-23, 07:24 PM
I really disliked the first drafts of the UA artificer & hope the next one looks a lot more like school of invention wizard, but it will be interesting to see what comes about since I suspect Keith Baker will have more input on this coming version.

I'm playing a gnome fighter 1 -> school of invention wizard whatever & it really has a very artificery feel to it

Talionis
2018-07-23, 10:24 PM
I commented that needed to at least be a half caster.

The construct needed to level better and probably be moved to a subclass.

Aett_Thorn
2018-07-24, 07:17 AM
I commented that needed to at least be a half caster.

The construct needed to level better and probably be moved to a subclass.

Both of these (especially the construct moving to a subclass).

Plus, I feel like both current subclasses are fairly one-dimensional once combat is entered. I think they have some great out-of-combat tools and usage, but man did they feel boring in combat to me.

Malifice
2018-07-24, 08:11 AM
I hope they pull the construct helper out and make it a subclass.

I dont like it as a feature of the base class.

It's nice to have the option of a pet without it being fundamental to the class.

jaappleton
2018-07-24, 08:33 AM
Make Construct Helper a subclass
Keep the Gunsmith a subclass with its scaling damage

Make another subclass that just gets an extra attack, and a damage boost at 11th level like the other half casters

Let me choose how to play. Don’t decide for me by baking too much into the core class.

Arkhios
2018-07-24, 09:33 AM
Make Construct Helper a subclass
Keep the Gunsmith a subclass with its scaling damage

Make another subclass that just gets an extra attack, and a damage boost at 11th level like the other half casters

Let me choose how to play. Don’t decide for me by baking too much into the core class.

I have a feeling that the construct was mostly included as a core feature because they wanted to have it tested without running into a situation that someone (or everyone) decided not to take the option otherwise.

Talionis
2018-07-24, 11:42 AM
I have a feeling that the construct was mostly included as a core feature because they wanted to have it tested without running into a situation that someone (or everyone) decided not to take the option otherwise.

That is a very interesting thought. I think scaling of these types of companions is a real weakness of 5E so far. So I am hoping the fix it, and believe they are looking at it.

It will be interesting to see what changes they make if any to have the Artificer be capable of multiclassing since previously the attacks were not really cantrips and scaled with Artificer levels. I could see it going either way.

It will be interesting to see if they improve crafting in 5E in response to the Artificer, since I at least would like to see improved rules for such.

It will also be interesting to see how they handle the spell list. An interesting way to handle it might be to give the Artificer Magical Secrets akin to the Bard ability to allow them to research some select spells from other lists instead of just being able to pick up any spell similar to 3.5E. That's probably a balanced way to get a similar feel.

Spiritchaser
2018-07-24, 12:24 PM
I had to modify the campaign to allow the artificer to create more items, provided he obtained the rare magical materials needed. He felt badly underwhelming next to the monk, Druid and paladin. His utility didn’t seem great, his pet was more than a little weak (I let him upgrade it some, I should have let him go further) his damage was poor (fine if other traits were stronger, but I don’t think they were)

It’s not seriously bad, but it did feel undertuned

JackOfAllBuilds
2018-07-26, 06:27 AM
I personally loved the wizard school of artifice subclass more than the “first draft” stand-alone artificer

Tetrasodium
2018-07-26, 07:32 AM
I personally loved the wizard school of artifice subclass more than the “first draft” stand-alone artificer

I think you might be talking about the school of invention (https://media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/UA-3Subclasses0108.pdf) and completely agree. I'm playing a gnome fighter 1 school of invention in a game I play whatever & it's great. Between gnome tinkerer tools, artificer's tools (ffs how were these not in the xge tools wotc!)& jeweler's tools I make all kinds of "stuff" & reckless casting assures I always have a decent selection of spells even if I'm spending most of my level up spells on utility spells thatmake people gawp

Grod_The_Giant
2018-07-26, 08:27 AM
I think you might be talking about the school of invention (https://media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/UA-3Subclasses0108.pdf) and completely agree. I'm playing a gnome fighter 1 school of invention in a game I play whatever & it's great. Between gnome tinkerer tools, artificer's tools (ffs how were these not in the xge tools wotc!)& jeweler's tools I make all kinds of "stuff" & reckless casting assures I always have a decent selection of spells even if I'm spending most of my level up spells on utility spells thatmake people gawp
I think they're referring to the subclass from the original Eberron UA (https://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/UA_Eberron_v1.pdf)-- the School of Invention is less an artificer and more a cross between the worst parts of the Wild Mage and the Lore Master.

Tetrasodium
2018-07-26, 08:57 AM
I think they're referring to the subclass from the original Eberron UA (https://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/UA_Eberron_v1.pdf)-- the School of Invention is less an artificer and more a cross between the worst parts of the Wild Mage and the Lore Master.

Worst parts? The recess casting is actually useful compared to the run away from Bob wild mahixt the force resist armor is a bit weird but obviously draws from. What's her name in the dreaming dark books. Reckless casting feels like it's drawn from the artificer in umm... Blade of flame? Books set in lhazzar

jaappleton
2018-07-28, 12:05 AM
Once again.... Mearls says one thing, and Crawford says another.

https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/1023068061606109186

I'll be honest, I'm getting real damn sick of them not being on the same page.

Its getting ridiculous.

Zanthy1
2018-07-28, 07:53 AM
Once again.... Mearls says one thing, and Crawford says another.

https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/1023068061606109186

I'll be honest, I'm getting real damn sick of them not being on the same page.

Its getting ridiculous.

Agreed. Do you think Mearls is trying to sneak it in and Crawford is like "No!"

jaappleton
2018-07-28, 08:09 AM
Agreed. Do you think Mearls is trying to sneak it in and Crawford is like "No!"

At this point?

From my interactions with Crawford and Mearls over the years, this is what I gather:

Crawford is more organized and sticks to scheduling much more. Mearls shoots from the hip, metaphorically speaking, and has a penchant for saying things before he should.

Simply because something is ready for release doesn't mean its scheduled for immediate release.

Although with the release of Eberron, you figure they'd want the Artificer to essentially coincide with that. So if Artificer isn't September's UA.... what is?

.......Unless its another setting? Which I don't think it is. But there has been so much talk about settings lately that I have no legitimate suggestions.

Ventruenox
2018-07-28, 09:09 AM
Just spitballing here. Artificer may not be the scheduled UA for September, but it could be the focus of Happy Fun Hour with Mearls. It would make both of their answers true enough, but it is more likely that they just crossed wires again.

JackOfAllBuilds
2018-08-06, 07:06 PM

Agreed, and you were right as to which wizard school I meant. I really dislike both the school of invention and a big portion of the artificer class (pet should have been a subclass, not built in)
I think I prefer full caster to half caster.

Something cutting the line between the Wizard tradition and the artificer class would be pretty much perfect