PDA

View Full Version : Wizard's Apprentice Roleplay & Mechanics Ideas

2018-07-23, 06:38 PM
What kinds of things could a 5e wizard do with an NPC apprentice?
This is assuming they are not involved in any combat.

For Roleplay purposes they could be in charge of keeping the wizard's quarters organized, alphabetizing the books on the shelf, running errands to buy mundane things, and keeping the unseen servants running.

Mechanics wise the only thing I could see that would be helpful would be cutting down the crafting time for creating magic items.

What else could they be useful for?

Unoriginal
2018-07-24, 07:22 AM
I suggest using the Apprentice Wizard statblock.

In term of what the apprentice can do, guarding the PCs' home base, cleaning tons of stuff with Prestidigitation, write spell scrolls, do research for their master (using the Xanathar's downtime rules), search for people selling magic items, and in general do any downtime activity while the PCs are busy adventuring.

CaptAl
2018-07-24, 07:38 AM
I suggest using the Apprentice Wizard statblock.

In term of what the apprentice can do, guarding the PCs' home base, cleaning tons of stuff with Prestidigitation, write spell scrolls, do research for their master (using the Xanathar's downtime rules), search for people selling magic items, and in general do any downtime activity while the PCs are busy adventuring.

Pretty much this. An apprentice basically expands the PC's ability to get stuff done while they are otherwise busy. In exchange for this the PC wizard has to spend downtime teaching the apprentice. I would assume, also, the apprentice would fall under the protection of the PC as well. Some interesting adventure hooks there.

nickl_2000
2018-07-24, 07:56 AM
I think an apprentice wizard could handle almost any 1st level ritual for the wizard, they could also mind a wizard's magical shop while away.

Maybe run a business of setting alarms (ritual alarm) for other shop keepers when the wizard is out of town?

CTurbo
2018-07-24, 09:47 AM
An Apprentice would know some 1st level Rituals, some basic cantrips like Light, Control Flames, Minor Illusion, etc...

Would probably carry the Wizards components, do all the cleaning and possibly even cook.

I'd probably stat it as 8 Str, 12 Dex, 12 Con, 14 Int, 10 Wis, 8 Cha after racial bonuses

I think it's a fun idea for sure