View Full Version : Kalashtar Totem Barbarian

CheddarChampion
2018-07-23, 09:27 PM
Would a Kashtar from the new unearthed arcana make for a good Totem Barbarian?

Resistance to psychic damage is the one that bear totem is missing, you get a boost to wisdom saves on a reaction, and advantage on a choice skill plus proficiency will make you very good at it. I suppose you'd be slightly less capable at core abilities than a variant human, but would all the boosts make up for it?

And the flavor is there too: you're connected to an animal spirit from the land of dreams!

I guess I'd build it like:
16/14/14/8/12/10, then max out strength, get a good feat, then boost constitution.

Is it a good idea? How would you build it?

Hears You
2018-07-24, 01:05 AM
The stats don't really line up that well and missing one rare damage type isn't really a problem. It's neat, but wouldn't be my first choice.

GlenSmash!
2018-07-24, 04:01 PM
The stats don't really line up that well and missing one rare damage type isn't really a problem. It's neat, but wouldn't be my first choice.

These are my sentiments as well.

The core Barbarian Rage already halves the most commonly encountered damage types at typical levels of play. Bear Totem really shines at higher levels when you are even more likely to run into dragons and such, but even then psychic damage is very rare.

That's not to say the Kalashtar Barbarian is bad, it's just not more suited to in it than say a Half-Elf.

brockit
2018-07-29, 01:27 PM
I like the idea of an Ancestral Guardian Barbarian for a Kalashtar, all the voices in his head would dive him in to madness! :smallfurious:

Galactkaktus
2018-07-29, 03:02 PM
I don't like it as a totem barbarian you ned a feat to give you access to bonus action stuff(i guess you could dual wield). And by being one feat behind the human and half an asi. While still being a full asi away from all the other races that gives good stats for barbarians you've created a problem.