PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A D&D 3.5: Creating a Stone Golem with the Manual

LordBlade
2018-07-23, 10:38 PM
So, the Golem Manual covers the spells and the XP cost. And adds 3 to the caster level for making the golem.
So the remaining cost would be 50,000 gold then?

As the description for Stone Golem says it's 50K plus 3400 XP to make one. But it also mentions the stone needed costs 5K. That 5K is included in the 50K I take it?

BowStreetRunner
2018-07-24, 08:02 AM
So, the Golem Manual covers the spells and the XP cost. And adds 3 to the caster level for making the golem.

As the description for Stone Golem says it's 50K plus 3400 XP to make one. But it also mentions the stone needed costs 5K. That 5K is included in the 50K I take it?There is something not adding up when I look at these numbers. I think I need some help with the math. Normally, the Base Price (B) is two times the Cost (C), and the Market Price (M) is the Base Price plus any XP (X) or Material costs (Y). So B = 2 x C and M = B + X + Y

However, the general golem entry states "The cost to create given for each golem includes the cost of the physical body and all the materials and spell components that are consumed or become a permanent part of the golem." So in this case the Total Cost (T) = Base Cost (C) + XP and Material costs, or T = C + X + Y.

The description of a Stone Golem (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/golem.htm#stoneGolem) lists its cost to construct at 50k gp (T) and market price at 90k gp (M). XP cost is 3400 (X). The body costs 5000 (Y). Since the manual works as a spell trigger item for the spells, the material costs of the spells is already provided, which would have been powdered diamond and opal with a total value of at least 5,000 gp for the symbol of stunning.

However, something still seems to be missing.
B (Base Price) = 2 x C (Base Cost)
90000 (Market Price) = B (Base Price) + 3400 (XP) + 10000 (Body + powdered gems)
50000 (Cost) = C (Base Cost) + 3400 (XP) + 10000 (Body + powdered gems)

Bronk
2018-07-24, 11:21 AM

As the description for Stone Golem says it's 50K plus 3400 XP to make one. But it also mentions the stone needed costs 5K. That 5K is included in the 50K I take it?

The golem manual covers everything except the body of the golem. All you need for a stone golem are the golem manual and the body, which costs 5k.

However, something still seems to be missing.
B (Base Price) = 2 x C (Base Cost)
90000 (Market Price) = B (Base Price) + 3400 (XP) + 10000 (Body + powdered gems)
50000 (Cost) = C (Base Cost) + 3400 (XP) + 10000 (Body + powdered gems)

I don't think the price of the golem manuals follow any particular pricing guideline.

Normally, making a golem appears to be like making a wondrous item... you need to have the spells available every day you're creating the item, but since you don't actually need to cast them, there's no additional material component cost.

Golem manuals are a great deal!