PDA

View Full Version : Good uses for 8 temporary HD?

Rebel7284
2018-07-24, 01:22 AM
Hey folks,

I realized that by combining Focused Performance [Dragon #338 p89] and Word of Creation [BoED], an exalted Bard using Inspire Greatness can grant 8 temporary HD to one target. 8HD is a lot.

a) Is there a way to boost the number of HD further?
b) What are some nice ways of using these HD?
So far the best use I can think of is allowing better forms for Polymorph
Is there a way to use this to get epic feats early?

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-07-24, 01:59 AM
a) Is there a way to boost the number of HD further?Temporary lycanthropy via the curse of lycanthropy spell, from Complete Divine.

So far the best use I can think of is allowing better forms for PolymorphPracticed Spellcaster or Practiced Manifester for extra caster/manifester levels. Supernatural Transformation to boost your CL for whatever spell-like ability you apply it towards. If you've got the Magic Mantle, that includes psionics.

Additional feats and skill ranks. Use them to qualify for a PrC early.

Hit yourself with negative levels and make them permanent before the temp HD run out. Then hit yourself with a greater restoration. Your XP level is now halfway between your level +8 and your level +9. Store the total in a thought bottle. When the HD wear out, restore your XP total to where it was, but take class levels this time.

Epic feats at level 13+. See below.

Is there a way to use this to get epic feats early?If you're 21 HD or above, yes.

flappeercraft
2018-07-24, 02:04 AM
Hey folks,

I realized that by combining Focused Performance [Dragon #338 p89] and Word of Creation [BoED], an exalted Bard using Inspire Greatness can grant 8 temporary HD to one target. 8HD is a lot.

a) Is there a way to boost the number of HD further?
So far the best use I can think of is allowing better forms for Polymorph
Is there a way to use this to get epic feats early?

Pretty sure the two multipliers would result in a x3 and not x4 which makes it into a 6HD boost. But you can use the Song of the Heart feat in addition to what you have mentioned for a 9HD boost.

The 9HD are a good way to make super tanky front liners and to reduce or negate the effects of blasphemy and it's other alignment variations which are stupidly powerful on someone with high CL. You can also use it to increase any caster's CL by 4 if they have Practiced spellcaster since the CL boost is capped by HD meaning you can use it to make your party wizard or cleric more effective at their job.

Edit: Ninja'd on Practiced Spellcaster

sleepyphoenixx
2018-07-24, 06:59 AM
Any form of shapeshifting that grants breath weapons or other abilities with a save DC dependant on HD. Like most offensive abilities you can get with Wild Shape.
Doomspeak is a great bard-native option for example.