PDA

View Full Version : One shot campaign in easy system for beginners?

Lambusy
2018-07-24, 02:32 AM
Hi there!
A few friends and I are interested in getting into D&D, but we never seem to get around to doing it. We've played a bit in the past, but are pretty much beginners now when it comes to actually roleplaying. I thought it would probably help if i could host a small game evening, as it will let me know if this genre even fits me (I'm a little worried it will be difficult for me to roleplay when it comes to it) and it will give us motivation to do more complex stuff if we do enjoy it.

Does anyone have good pre-built campaigns/games that i can run in relatively short time and will be easy for the players to get into? I don't care how much i have to prepare for it, as long as the learning and playing for the players can all be done in one or two sittings.

Thank you very much in advance!

Kardwill
2018-07-24, 04:27 AM
Note that usually, the word "campaign" designates long-term games. So the opposite of a one shot, really ^^

Many games have "starter kits" with, sometime free, with lighter rules and a one shot adventure. Do you want to try specifically D&D (maybe not the best game for one-shots, since character evolution is quite important), or any RPG? Do you want to do Fantasy, or another genre?

Lambusy
2018-07-24, 04:53 AM
Note that usually, the word "campaign" designates long-term games. So the opposite of a one shot, really ^^

Many games have "starter kits" with, sometime free, with lighter rules and a one shot adventure. Do you want to try specifically D&D (maybe not the best game for one-shots, since character evolution is quite important), or any RPG? Do you want to do Fantasy, or another genre?

I don't really care about the system or genre as long as it is quick and pretty straightforward, i plan to move on to D&D eventually but for now this will be more like a demo for tabletop rpgs

zlefin
2018-07-24, 07:32 AM
I've never played, and it's rather silly/jokey compared to the norm, but one of pathfinder's free modules (that they made for free rpg day) is the we be goblins module for lvl 1. I've heard good things about it.
http://paizo.com/products/btpy8j5w?Pathfinder-Module-We-Be-Goblins

there's a somewhat more normal adventure here:
http://paizo.com/products/btpy82r0?GameMastery-Module-D0-Hollows-Last-Hope
I'm not familiar with it at all; but it was made for free rpg day, which is to help intro people to things.

your group would probably be better off learning 5th ed than pathfinder though. I'm not familiar enough with that to suggest anything for it.

Blymurkla
2018-07-24, 08:57 AM
I don't really care about the system or genre as long as it is quick and pretty straightforward, i plan to move on to D&D eventually but for now this will be more like a demo for tabletop rpgs This risks being a dangerous attitude. Tabletop RPGs are no less fractal (https://xkcd.com/1095/) than other hobbies, possibly more so, and the diversity can be simply staggering.

If I wanted a quick, easy game to play with beginners I might choose Fiasco (http://bullypulpitgames.com/games/fiasco/) or A Taste For Murder (http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/106250/A-Taste-For-Murder). They're great little games, played out in a couple of hours. If I remember correctly, you can even watch Wil Wheaton play Fiasco in case you didn't grasp how it's done after reading the book.

But if I intended to eventually turn someone to D&D and I start with a story-telling game like that, and they like that introduction, chances are they'll be utterly confused with - and perhaps not enjoy - D&D. The games play on so different strings, challenge you in different ways, have different ideas of what constitutes fun.

Fortunately, there's a D&D starter set (http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/rpg-products/rpg_starterset). If you intend to play D&D eventually, why not just start with playing D&D? It'll mess with peoples expectations a lot less.

Koo Rehtorb
2018-07-24, 12:01 PM
I usually suggest Dungeon World is an easy system for new players.

Lambusy
2018-07-24, 02:17 PM
This risks being a dangerous attitude. Tabletop RPGs are no less than other hobbies, possibly more so, and the diversity can be simply staggering.

If I wanted a quick, easy game to play with beginners I might choose or . They're great little games, played out in a couple of hours. If I remember correctly, you can even watch Wil Wheaton play Fiasco in case you didn't grasp how it's done after reading the book.

But if I intended to eventually turn someone to D&D and I start with a story-telling game like that, and they like that introduction, chances are they'll be utterly confused with - and perhaps not enjoy - D&D. The games play on so different strings, challenge you in different ways, have different ideas of what constitutes fun.

Fortunately, there's a D&D starter set[/url]. If you intend to play D&D eventually, why not just start with playing D&D? It'll mess with peoples expectations a lot less.

Will keep that in mind.
I've heard about Fiasco and am a little intimidated by it but I guess I should at least try..
A taste for murder sounds pretty interesting anyway
thanks!

Knaight
2018-07-24, 02:37 PM
I'd use a Ubiquity system game - Hollow Earth Expedition, Desolation, Space: 1889 (though you have to be careful to get the Ubiquity version there), All for One, or Quantum Black. The system is fast and easy, but on top of that it's also standard to put a bunch of solid pregen characters in the book, thus making your job that much easier.

Of the lot I'd recommend Hollow Earth Expedition (HEX) in particular, both because it's what the Ubiquity engine was originally made for and because it also has some pre-made adventures available, though they aren't necessarily optimized for one shots. Plus it's pulp, which is a fun genre that's often easily approachable.

I also still have GM notes floating around somewhere for some HEX one shots I ran recently. One of them involves a secret Nazi volcano base, a doomsday plot involving world hypnosis caused by a synthetic aurora borealis, and crash landing a zeppelin on a remote jungle island after it gets attacked by pteranodons. I could clean them up and PM you the results if you want.

I usually suggest Dungeon World is an easy system for new players.
It's a solid option for new players, but I have my doubts for it for new GMs. This is also why I didn't recommend Fudge, despite it also having piles of character examples, premade adventures, and the whole "being my favorite system" thing going for it.

Anonymouswizard
2018-07-24, 04:20 PM

Yeah, generally starter sets are the correct method for this. Most of them are explicitly aimed at beginners with simplified rules and potentially no character creation (I believe there's a handful that are essentially 'core rules+extras', but they're really rare).

I don't really care about the system or genre as long as it is quick and pretty straightforward, i plan to move on to D&D eventually but for now this will be more like a demo for tabletop rpgs

Quick and straightforward is a bit hard. What's easy for one person to grasp isn't always for others.

How much are you willing to spend and is there any particular genre you want?

Also bare in mind that a simple system doesn't mean a simple game. Some of the systems given may be more complicated than you'd expect, but designed so that all the rules fit together neatly and you don't end up having to track all the exceptions. Other simple systems will be left out because they're linked to complex worlds.

As possibilities...

Fate is free in pdf and has a bunch of free 50 page settings/adventures that can work as a one-shot. Bare in mind that Aspects are a narrative mechanic and require people to be able to think in terms of character traits (in the 'single phrase' way), as well as realise that if an aspect implies you can do it you can do it.

Savage Worlds is cheap and the current corebook comes with a bunch of short adventures. The rules are relatively simple, roll Trait and try to beat a 4 (for the most part), the only weird stuff are that traits are measured in dice (d4 to d12), and that wild cards get to roll an additional d6 and take the higher (oh, and can take multiple hits before going down, although those cause penalties). On the downside the rules are intended for miniatures.

Some other good suggestions have also been given.