PDA

View Full Version : DM Help UA Artificer?

rmnimoc
2018-07-24, 06:04 AM
How's the UA Artificer class? I've got a player who'd like to play one, but I don't have much experience with this class. Since the class seems cool, if a bit weak at first glance, I'm willing to provisionally allow it. Before I do though, I figured I'd check in and see if anyone has had any experiences playing with it and what they've got to say.

Is there anything I've got to be aware of with this class or is it safe to use and good to go?

DanyBallon
2018-07-24, 06:11 AM
Next month UA will be the revised Artificer, can your player wait untill then?

nickl_2000
2018-07-24, 06:37 AM

not that I don't believe you, but where did you hear that?

rmnimoc
2018-07-24, 06:38 AM

The game won't be starting until the 14th. UA's released on the first Monday, which should be the 6th, so waiting will probably be fine.

nickl_2000
2018-07-24, 06:42 AM
The game won't be starting until the 14th. UA's released on the first Monday, which should be the 6th, so waiting will probably be fine.

UA's release scheduled is the 2nd Monday of the month now, not the first

jaappleton
2018-07-24, 06:43 AM
Second Monday.

And where’d he hear the Revised one is coming out next month? From me.

I asked Mike Mearls, and he told me.

EDIT: I made a topic about it yesterday, with a link to the Twitter exchange between Mearls and myself.

rmnimoc
2018-07-24, 06:54 AM
Second Monday? That'd be the 13th, so it'd probably be a bit late.

Current artificer it is then.

nickl_2000
2018-07-24, 06:56 AM
Second Monday? That'd be the 13th, so it'd probably be a bit late.

Current artificer it is then.

I would have the person build it with the current artificer for the first night of the game, then if they see the second incarnation and like it just hand wave it and let them make the change.

ImproperJustice
2018-07-24, 11:36 AM
I am running a level 8, soon to be Artificer now.

I love it, but there are many here who fo not care for the class at all. Some of the criticisms are valid, and a lot have to do with people’s wide and varying expectations of the class.

Xanathar’s guide on expanded tool use, did a lot of favors for the class IMHO.

It is best used as a “support class”.
I use it in the role of the team’s trap springer, lore expert, and healer (healer feat helps).

Prevelance of magic items has a high impact on the class.
I am fortunate to be able to have all four Attunement slots available to me filled with fun and useful items.

Mechanical servant is best used as a mount. I like the Alchemy options over Gunslinger, because I like the flexibility.

Melting stuff with acid solves a lot of problems, thunder stoning people off ledges never gets old, and be sure to take apart every trap you find and re use that tech for the good of your party.

Robe of Useful items will eventually run out of uses, but I do not regret it as my level 5 item choice.

It is not a center of attention class, but more of a “super Rogue” problem solver class.