PDA

View Full Version : Craziest thing you've ever pulled off with an Acrobatics check?

LibbyLishly
2018-07-24, 08:27 AM
Exactly what it says on the tin. What's the coolest, or most ridiculous, or most impossible thing your DM ever let you get away with by making an Acrobatics check?

Why do I ask? Because I'm eyeballing taking Acrobatics expertise at Rogue 6 and because I like ridiculous gaming stories.

nickl_2000
2018-07-24, 08:36 AM
This was a long, long time ago (it may have been in AD&D), but it would likely be an acrobatics check now.

I ran into a room, used a table as a spring board, grabbed onto a chandelier swinging on it over the top of the enemy wall, landed and beat the bad guy to a lever he was trying to pull to trigger a trap jamming a dagger inside of it to prevent it from being pulled.

Unoriginal
2018-07-24, 10:16 AM
In principle it's a DEX check, with Acrobatics proficiency.

It's important to note, because having the proficiency doesn't mean you can do more than with a DEX check. As in, you can do better, but it doesn't open you more possibilities that wouldn't work for someone who has the same final bonus just thanks to their DEX mod (ex: having +5 to DEX compared to +3 DEX +2 proficiency).

Ganymede
2018-07-24, 11:24 AM

It's important to note, because having the proficiency doesn't mean you can do more than with a DEX check. As in, you can do better, but it doesn't open you more possibilities that wouldn't work for someone who has the same final bonus just thanks to their DEX mod (ex: having +5 to DEX compared to +3 DEX +2 proficiency).

This is the coolest, craziest thing done with an Acrobatics check I've ever seen. We can go ahead and end the thread because no one is topping this.

DrowPiratRobrts
2018-07-24, 11:29 AM
This is the coolest, craziest thing done with an Acrobatics check I've ever seen. We can go ahead and end the thread because no one is topping this.

Rekt m8! :smallcool: Quikzoom 1v1 him on Rust you cheeky scrublord.

Sariel Vailo
2018-07-24, 11:55 AM
Convinced a group of suspicious guards we were part of a travelling cirque. I was the drow acrobat,it worked even made three gold for my demo.

LibbyLishly
2018-07-24, 12:15 PM

Ah, but you see, I might TRY crazier things if I know my bonus will be +4 DEX +6 Proficiency/Expertise (which is where my stats will stand once I take that expertise), so I'm more likely to meet the DC the DM sets for whatever madness - and my numbers will only improve as I level up.

So while the expertise certainly doesn't mean I can automatically do more, it does mean I have a far better chance of succeeding.

Unoriginal
2018-07-24, 12:21 PM
Ah, but you see, I might TRY crazier things if I know my bonus will be +4 DEX +6 Proficiency/Expertise (which is where my stats will stand once I take that expertise), so I'm more likely to meet the DC the DM sets for whatever madness - and my numbers will only improve as I level up.

So while the expertise certainly doesn't mean I can automatically do more, it does mean I have a far better chance of succeeding.

Indeed. I'm just precising something.

With a total of +10, you can literally pull of near-impossible stunts (if you roll a 20 on the die). That's pretty impressive.

Personally, as a DM I'm not sure what kind of crazy DEX check I would give DC 30...

DrowPiratRobrts
2018-07-24, 02:08 PM
In actual response though, the Drow Pirate Roberts had one particularly acrobatic day in the the depths of a dungeon.

1. A narrow plank spanned a gap over some lava or some such and everyone was having a tough time crossing it. I walked across on my hands without an issue.

2. The party kept falling and taking damage from trying to scale a big wall in the dungeon. I eventually decided to try my hand and ended up Assassin's Creeding my way to the top with little effort so I could drop a rope.

3. We got in a fight with something that was about to kill us all. It was a Gnoll or something with big stats and we were already weak. The DM left the room for a moment and I put a 1x1 black tile next to the creature on the edge of the dungeon. After pushing it off didn't work, I decided to run at it and flip over it and into the hole. As I was upside-down in middair, I slung my grappling hook onto the creature and pulled it into the hole after me. I was fulling expecting to die a hero's death since I added that tile and the DM suspected something. Instead the party found me later and I was stuck face to face with the creature, up to our necks in gelatin as the creature kept snapping his maw inches from my face. The Half-Orc jumped down after us, falling the several hundred feet onto the beast and killing it instantly.

Good times...

Tanarii
2018-07-24, 07:37 PM
Personally, as a DM I'm not sure what kind of crazy DEX check I would give DC 30...
Yeah, I find it kind of hard to baseline beyond "a commoner could pull this off 1 in 20 times" (DC 20). OTOH I mostly run T1 and T2, so I can get away with a more guy at the gym mentality toward checks.

Acrobatics are the hardest to adjudicate. I don't want to discourage fancy stuff, which means I have to really think about if a check is even needed at all. I default to calling for checks for things that give some mechanical advantage. Most commonly parkouring up short ledges or over small objects without treating it as difficult terrain. Distinct from Jumping in that you interact with the terrain, which can be important. Also they can be larger than the typical high jump height.

Hardest check I've ever called for was character jumping to catch a free swinging blade trap that was part of an encounter, in order to pass through enemy occupied squares to get at the back line caster. On the basis they were trying to get the heck out of its way. It was DC 20 or fail and take damage automatically and lose rest of movement. That's actually "harder" than normal because usually I don't go for failure screwing you up that bad. T2 Monk with Acrobatics, so probably +7 or +8 to the check.

If I was willing to regularly allow Acrobatics as Tumble checks to avoid OAs or move through enemy squares, which are hard codes mechanics I'd rather not have a skill check negate, I'd probably start with something like DC 25 as a target number.

Lord Bushbaby
2018-07-24, 08:37 PM
I once stuffed a water elemental (boss) into a handy haversack, as a wizard. Broke the bag and sent it to the astral plane.

Mandarblade
2018-07-25, 08:33 AM
Mine was definitely in Storm King's Thunder. We were in a chasm with a Giant Statue at the far end, which I believe had a jeweled eye that we wanted. We were at least 100 feet off the ground and I don't remember if we started from a bridge/ledge. So our Goliath Barbarian raged for advantage to strength checks and then threw me towards the statue. While in mid air I used my rope of climbing to grab the shoulder/armpit of the statue, looped around it in the air then released at the peak landing on the shoulder (treated as an acrobatics check DC25? it has been a while). Grabbed what I was going for then shimmied down the statue and eventually back to the rest of the party. Fate was smiling on the plan because I remember the strength and acrobatics rolls being very high.

For what it is worth I was a female monk weighing ~105 pounds, and the goliath barbarian had 20 strength and the goliath feature of being treated as a size category larger for push/pull/drag/lift.