PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Racial Half Breed's

Cybird13
2018-07-24, 10:23 AM
I had two PC's approach me asking to create a Half-Aasimar/Half-Orc race for their new characters. They will be playing twins one being a Warlock and the other being a Barbarian. Now i will admit im not the most experianced DM and i've never mixed races so i kinda just wanted some feedback or tips on how to mix them. They both want to be fallen Aasimar being the more "dominant" part of their race. So what ive come up with so far is.

+2 Charisma +1 Strength or Con
Speed 30
Darkvision
Necrotic Shroud
Menacing
Languages known: Celestial, Common, Orc

I havent decided what to do with these remaining racial abilities: Relentless Endurance or Healing Hand (not both), Savage Attack, Light Bearer, Celestial Resistance.

I'm leaning towards dropping Celestial Resistance, Savage Attack, and Healing Hand, while giving them Relentless Endurance and Light Bearer.

Thoughts?

Edit: forgot to mention this is 5e.

Daghoulish
2018-07-24, 12:55 PM
I like to use detect balance for homebrew races. Let's see how your's rates.

8 - ASI +2
5 - Choice of +1 ASI
3 - Darkvision
2 - Skill Proficiency
8 - Aasimar transformation
1 - Common plus 2 languages
25 - total points

That's sitting at the direct dead center of balance, one point above Half-Orc itself. Aasimar tend to be 31-33 but the races there tend to be extremely strong, Mountain Dwarves and Variant Human. If you do add more things try to stay under 40 those tend to be the extremely unbalanced races, Aarakocra and Yuan-ti. Otherwise you seem to be good on balance. I think you basically nailed it on the head. If you do add Reckless Endurance and Lightbearer their new total would be 31. This would put them on the high end of strength for races but nothing game breaking.

Fascinating! Can you please explain what "Detect balance" is, and/or provide a link?

You got it bud. You can find it right here.
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?501272-Detect-Balance-an-Improved-Scale-for-Measuring-5e-Races

Thanatos 51-50
2018-07-24, 01:06 PM
Fascinating! Can you please explain what "Detect balance" is, and/or provide a link?

OP: That looks pretty well-balanced to me! You may not "need" to add some of the other racial abilities. and should be generally fine dropping them altogether. Tossing in Savage Attack as a bone to your Barbarian player might not be amiss, though. You've provided a lot of the "bennies" to the Warlock side of the equation, but not so many to the Barbarian side.

Lalliman
2018-07-24, 02:14 PM
As the others have said, it works.

However, if I was you, I would suggest the barbarian to use the traits of the half-orc and the warlock to use the traits of the aasimar, with the rationale that one takes more strongly after the father and the other more strongly after the mother. Seems like an easier solution unless they really want to have mechanical traits of both races. (Or unless they're supposed to be identical twins.)

Cybird13
2018-07-24, 03:20 PM
As the others have said, it works.

However, if I was you, I would suggest the barbarian to use the traits of the half-orc and the warlock to use the traits of the aasimar, with the rationale that one takes more strongly after the father and the other more strongly after the mother. Seems like an easier solution unless they really want to have mechanical traits of both races. (Or unless they're supposed to be identical twins.)

They are supposed to be identical Twins.

Daghoulish
2018-07-24, 03:42 PM
Ah, missed that you want Reckless Endurance or Healing Hands not both.

I would go with Reckless Endurance and Light bearer then if you really want to add more things to it, even if it really doesn't help the barbarian. As a concentration spell it would end when they rage, I guess it still works for exploring when not fighting though.

Cybird13
2018-07-24, 04:26 PM
I like to use detect balance for homebrew races. Let's see how your's rates.

8 - ASI +2
5 - Choice of +1 ASI
3 - Darkvision
2 - Skill Proficiency
8 - Aasimar transformation
1 - Common plus 2 languages
25 - total points

That's sitting at the direct dead center of balance, one point above Half-Orc itself. Aasimar tend to be 31-33 but the races there tend to be extremely strong, Mountain Dwarves and Variant Human. If you do add more things try to stay under 40 those tend to be the extremely unbalanced races, Aarakocra and Yuan-ti. Otherwise you seem to be good on balance. I think you basically nailed it on the head. If you do add Reckless Endurance and Lightbearer their new total would be 31. This would put them on the high end of strength for races but nothing game breaking.

You got it bud. You can find it right here.

I love the link it works great im going to give them Reckless Endurance and thats it just to give them that little extra UMMPH to their character. Bringing the total up to 29.