PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A [Answered] Multiclass paladin/warlock

TallerSpine
2018-07-24, 12:17 PM
I have a Paladin 7/Warlock 2. Do I really not gain any benefit to my paladin spellcasting from my warlock levels? And as a warlock, I have 2 3rd level slots (effective warlock level is 5th?) Or do I have 2 1st level slots (effective warlock level is 2nd because it is not on the list of classes that benefit from half paladin level)?

Basically, I'm not understanding how paladin/warlock multiclassing works.

Ventruenox
2018-07-24, 12:31 PM
Pact magic is separate from your Paladin spellcasting progression. At your character level, you effectively have 6 first level slots and 3 second level slots. The 2 first level slots from your Warlock levels will refresh on a short rest. Paladin/Warlock multiclass characters get to smite more frequently as a result, since you may use your pact magic slots for Divine Smite.

You may want to put an additional level into Warlock at this point, because then the 2 first level slots become 2 second level slots.

MaxWilson
2018-07-24, 12:35 PM
I have a Paladin 7/Warlock 2. Do I really not gain any benefit to my paladin spellcasting from my warlock levels? And as a warlock, I have 2 3rd level slots (effective warlock level is 5th?) Or do I have 2 1st level slots (effective warlock level is 2nd because it is not on the list of classes that benefit from half paladin level)?

Basically, I'm not understanding how paladin/warlock multiclassing works.

You have the spellcasting ability of a 7th level Paladin (4 1st level slots and 3 2nd level slots that refresh on a long rest) and the spellcasting ability of a 2nd level warlock (2 1st level slots that refresh on a short or long rest). You can cast your spells using either kind of slot, but they refresh on different schedules.

Obviously you always want to use up the short rest slots first.

TallerSpine
2018-07-24, 01:04 PM
Thank you both!