PDA

View Full Version : Alter Self on other spell lists

Yogibear41
2018-07-24, 03:32 PM
Is there anyway using an ACF or some such to get Alter Self onto the Paladin or the Ranger spell list (other than sword of the arcane order).

Looking for a way to get Alter Self on a Full BAB Divine caster. Some Obscure Prestige class would also probably work fine, if I could get the spell by around level 7 or 8.

Thurbane
2018-07-24, 03:54 PM
Extra Spell would work, depending on your DMs reading of the feat (Official Q&A specifically disallows this, if that matters).

Alter Self appears on the following lists, as far as I am aware: Asn 2, Brd 2, Deathmaster 2, Hexblade 2, Jester 2, Savant 2, Sha'ir 2, Slayer of Domiel 2, Sor/Wiz 2, Thayan Slaver 2, Transformation Domain 2, Vassal of Bahamut 2, Vigilante 2 and Wujen 2.

There also some PrCs that give it as an SLA or Su ability, and some magic items as well (Fleshshifter Armor, BoVD, for example).

Thurbane
2018-07-24, 04:09 PM
Arguably, A Hexblade with Southern Magician, or a Cleric with the Transformation Domain using Divine Power, could be called full BAB divine classes able to cast Alter Self...

OgresAreCute
2018-07-24, 04:12 PM
If you can get it from a domain, then I imagine there would be some way of getting a domain onto a ranger or especially a paladin? I don't know much about these classes but that seems like it would make sense.

Yogibear41
2018-07-24, 04:22 PM
Character is evil so the good paladin variant won't work, suppose I should have said that, and I need it as a spell so I can use Reserves of Strength to up the HD limit to 8 for what I need it for. I need the BAB to meet some pre-reqs for another prestige class so divine favor is eh.

I was hoping there was some random Prestige class out there that was full bab and got up to 4th level divine spells that had it on the list, but I don't think there is one that I can qualify for as an Evil Character.

I might just scrap the idea and look on the arcane side of things.

liquidformat
2018-07-24, 04:31 PM
Character is evil so the good paladin variant won't work, suppose I should have said that, and I need it as a spell so I can use Reserves of Strength to up the HD limit to 8 for what I need it for. I need the BAB to meet some pre-reqs for another prestige class so divine favor is eh.

well I was going to say Sword of the Arcane Order + Arcane Disciple (Transformation Domain) but being evil kills that I think, and at that point you might as well just take some levels of assassin.

Covenant12
2018-07-24, 04:37 PM
Archivist/Sacred Exorcist with DMM:Persist divine power, side benefit of being amazing in general.

More what you are asking though, hrm. Paladin who manages the transformation domain and takes the domain spontaneity feat, should have plenty of uses per day. Don't think you can get a domain of choice without losing BAB though. Warpriest (complete divine) and manage a wand substitute domain from UMD maybe? A paladin with high cha might pull that off. A picky DM would require you to have the shapechanger subtype for that, but its possible you're fine with that.

If you can qualify for any arcane casting at all (which could be one feat), you can use eternal wands of alter self. Not unlimited, but a paladin wouldn't have truly unlimited casting of it either, so that's a thought.

Thurbane
2018-07-24, 04:44 PM
How close to full BAB do you need to be? Divine Crusdader with the Transformation domain can cast Alter Self, and if you take no more than 4 levels, you only lose 1 BAB.

I mean, if it's OK to be Arcane, then Hexblade is the most straightforward option.

Depending on why you need divine casting, Southern Magician is an option...

Yogibear41
2018-07-24, 05:47 PM
Low level Divine casting fits the best for role-playing reasons, that is really the only reason.

Yogibear41
2018-07-25, 01:24 AM
Through my readings in my books, I have rediscovered the Chorister prestige class from the Dragonlance, War of the lance book, which depending on how many levels you take starts to add the bard list to your spell list. Three levels is enough to have 2nd level bard spells added to your list which just so happens to include Alter Self. :smallsmile: Its not perfect but its something.

Troacctid
2018-07-25, 01:35 AM
The Initiate of Olidammara feat (Dragon #342) adds Olidammara's bard spell to your spell list as a 2nd level spell, allowing you to cast it to prepare up to 3 levels' worth of spells from the bard list (PHB only). Requires 2nd level divine spells.