PDA

View Full Version : english question: what is "A silver"

Red Bear
2018-07-24, 03:48 PM
minor curse of strand spoiler about the amber temple

An amber sarcophagus looks like a rough block of solid amber 8 feet tall, 5 feet wide, and 5 feet thick. Trapped inside the block is a sliver or wisp of utter darkness no more than a few inches long. The darkness is the vestige of a dead and hateful god-a shard of pure evil with shreds of sentience and awareness. The vestige can't be harmed or controlled, and it is immune to all conditions.

so what is "a silver of darkness?" I mean I guess it means some kind of small object, but what exactly?

KillianHawkeye
2018-07-24, 03:52 PM
Check your spelling there. It's "sliver", not "silver".

Sliver
noun
noun: sliver; plural noun: slivers

1. a small, thin, narrow piece of something cut or split off a larger piece.
"a sliver of cheese"
synonyms: splinter, shard, shiver, chip, flake, shred, scrap, shaving, paring, piece, fragment
"slivers of glass"

No brains
2018-07-24, 03:52 PM
Since the passage says 'or wisp' I assume they misspelled 'sliver'. A sliver is a thin piece of material, like a splinter.

KillianHawkeye
2018-07-24, 03:53 PM
I assume they misspelled 'sliver'.

No, it's spelled correctly in the OP's quoted text.

Segev
2018-07-24, 03:54 PM

An amber sarcophagus looks like a rough block of solid amber 8 feet tall, 5 feet wide, and 5 feet thick. Trapped inside the block is a sliver or wisp of utter darkness no more than a few inches long. The darkness is the vestige of a dead and hateful god-a shard of pure evil with shreds of sentience and awareness. The vestige can't be harmed or controlled, and it is immune to all conditions.

so what is "a silver of darkness?" I mean I guess it means some kind of small object, but what exactly?

Note that the word in there is "sliver," not "silver." They're similar in spelling and sound, but the difference is significant in both cases.

A 'sliver' is a thin shard. Generally characterized by being pointy on both ends and roughly straight (though a slight bend is common). It's not a precise shape, just ... picture a splinter, but make it thinner.

So what's being described here is a "sliver of darkness" or a "wisp of darkness" meaning that it's a thin strand or long-but-skinny piece of darkness. The "or wisp" aspect suggests it's a touch amorphous, perhaps twisting or wiggling with the ends fraying to mist between moments of sharpness.

denthor
2018-07-24, 03:58 PM
Sliver small amount.

Look at the moon. A new moon a sliver in th night sky. Or just before the waning moon is no longer seen the last part is a sliver.

jayem
2018-07-24, 04:04 PM

SLIver not SILver (which might be able to help dictionary searches).
It's kind of very thin almost not there (abstract) shape.

If you turn the light in the hall, your bedroom light off, and nearly shut the door what you can see underneath is a slither of light. Which I think is the only case I think I'd ever use it.

A wisp, in my head at least is kind of similar, I'd think a bit more curly. A wisp of smoke might come from an extinguished cigarette.

Red Bear
2018-07-24, 04:29 PM
Check your spelling there. It's "sliver", not "silver".

...uhm...Oh... I'm an idiot. Thanks everyone, I would have never noticed it without you.

KillianHawkeye
2018-07-24, 04:57 PM
...uhm...Oh... I'm an idiot. Thanks everyone, I would have never noticed it without you.

That's what I'm here for, LOL :smallwink:

GungHo
2018-07-25, 09:27 AM

You are not an idiot. My mind does this too at times. It happens to me more when I'm tired.