PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Astrology Prestige Classes

petermcleod117
2018-07-24, 03:48 PM
So, I'm trying to re-create magic as it was believed to function by the people of the middle ages as closely as possible. In particular, I have divided the wizard class into three separate character classes representing the three hermetic magical traditions: the way of the Sun (alchemy), the way of the Stars (astrology), and the way of the Gods (Theurgy/Goetia). I also have prestige classes appropriate to the philosophy of alchemy and theurgy, essentially epitomizing the goal behind each of those traditions as well as the essential nature of how it supposedly functioned.

The problem comes in when I try to apply this to astrology.

This is not to say that I can't find any astrology-based presige classes, as there are many. I'm having difficulty finding one that epitomized the hermetic philosophy (most instead seem to draw from the older Mesopotamian traditions). To put it very simply, hermetic astrology was supposed to function off of the principle of "as above, so below"; what ever happens in the heavens (the sky) happens on earth or can be made to happen on earth with the correct preparation. It's sort of like the draconic prophecy of Eberron, except related exclusively to the stars. Altering the stars themselves is basically impossible, but acting to take advantage of their current alignment is (for this reason I chose the use the Astrologer class from Occult Lore as the default base class).
If possible, I am looking for a prestige class that also uses real-world zodiac signs, or can be adapted to use real-world zodiac signs with very little effort, or doesn't name any specific zodiac signs at all so I don't have to worry about conversion. 3rd party and homebrew materials are acceptable.

BowStreetRunner
2018-07-24, 04:35 PM
You could try to re-fluff the Fatespinner PrC.

daremetoidareyo
2018-07-24, 04:59 PM

Throw some bonus luck feats in there and call it a day

PunBlake
2018-07-24, 04:59 PM
Dragon Mag #340 p36 has the Master Astrologer prestige class, along with some astrological signs and stuff that can be refluffed pretty easily.

petermcleod117
2018-07-24, 06:29 PM

You're right, the mechanics of the fatespinner would fit a hermetic astrologer perfectly. It even has a apotheosis, which both of the other hermetic prestige classes also happen to have. Thanks!

petermcleod117
2018-07-24, 06:33 PM
Throw some bonus luck feats in there and call it a day

luck feats? please list source(s) so I can check them out.

daremetoidareyo
2018-07-24, 06:38 PM
luck feats? please list source(s) so I can check them out.

Complete scoundrel has luck feats that grant extra rerolls for certain checks.

petermcleod117
2018-07-24, 07:52 PM
Complete scoundrel has luck feats that grant extra rerolls for certain checks.

thank you very much