PDA

View Full Version : Predictions for Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica

LichPlease
2018-07-24, 08:09 PM
Below, in bold, are predictions and ideal character options others and myself have come up with that may be suggested as playable character options for particular guilds in Guildmasters' Guide to Ravnica.

I think something important that should be known about the guilds is that they each seem to represent a sector of society we experience every day but taken to its utter extreme and in a fantastical setting. So, I have also described each guild in the role they play in Ravnican society and how they have pushed that role to the point of becoming a nuisance. I apologize if my knowledge of Ravnica is a bit shoddy. Feel free to correct me if you want. Just don’t be a jerk about it. Let us know if you have any of your own predictions!

Azorius Senate – Azorius is basically the government in that they make and enforce the laws of Ravnica. Some people think that Boros makes up the police force, but I think it is more Azorius. They make and enforce rules to the point of being like the Vogons from Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. They probably have laws upon laws just to make new laws, which they probably are more than happy to do. Their members and territories are also probably impeccably clean and orderly. The UA Order Domain Cleric is probably going to be used to represent Azorius. Otherwise, any heavily lawful character could probably work.

Orzhov Syndicate – Orzhov serves two, technically three, functions. It primarily acts as the bank of Ravnica. It also acts as an untouchable crime syndicate. It is tertiarily a church. It’s function as a bank has overshadowed the other two, especially the church aspect. Orzhov is all about gold and ripping people off with exorbitant interest rates and taxes. It’s function as a sort of mafia is to enforce debts owed to the Orzhov as well as perform “favors” in exchange for even more money. The Orzhov as a church is strictly used as way of “tithing” it’s members. It is likely that there is no longer any sort of god backing Orzhov. If you owe Orzhov, you owe it even in the afterlife and they will make sure you pay what you owe. Nothing in the UA seems to point to Orzhov, and nothing in the current official books seems to represent Orzhov’s greed heavily. Many Orzhov members are incorporeal undead or work for its spectral leaders, so Death/Grave Cleric and Undying Patron Warlocks are good fits, as are Oath of Conquest and Oath of Vengeance Paladins, as they would be the ones best to collect on payments.

House Dimir – The Dimir technically sort of publicly serve as the postal service, librarians and other such keepers and deliverers of information. They take this to the extreme however by hoarding knowledge and secrets to the point of keeping their existence secret from the rest of Ravnica for long LONG periods of time. So, while those services such as the postal service and library may seem like they are run by another guild or no guild at all, really, Dimir has their hands in it all to gain the upper hand since they, of all guilds, believe that knowledge is power. Members of Dimir range from couriers, to spies, to assassins. Nothing in UA has popped out significantly to be as Dimir, but College of Whispers Bard is a perfect fit as well as the Knowledge Domain Cleric, Way of the Shadow Monk and most Rogues and some Wizards.

Izzet League – The Izzet are a sort of labor union and guild of engineers in Ravnica. Their main function was to build and maintain the infrastructure of the city plane, such as plumbing, roadways and possibly any magical “electrical” system. However, their impulsive creativity has led to them somewhat abandoning their responsibility as they obsess over experimenting with new magical technologies. They don’t mean to intentionally harm anyone but they tend to not think of consequences before acting and their experimentation ends up being more destructive than it could have ever been constructive. The School of Invention Wizard UA is a shoe-in for this guild.

Cult of Rakdos – Rakdos is an undeniably chaotic-evil demon and his Cult revels in his presence. In its more light-hearted settings, the Cult of Rakdos serves as the entertainment industry through carnivals and such. However, the Cult has no qualms with giving its customers whatever they want, even at the cost of others. Deep Rakdos territory is probably reminiscent of the Purge or Hellraiser movies, where pleasure and fun is derived from pain, from others or even one’s self. Nothing from UA seems very Rakdos but a few Bards and the Fiend Patron Warlock are dead ringers.

Golgari Swarm – Initially purposed as farmers and garbagemen, the Golgari have taken the cycle of life and death to the extreme through the powers of necromancy. While not particularly evil, they see no offense in the creation of undead and might actually see it as an honorable state of existence. Due to their standard of living, however, they are heavily shunned by the rest of Ravnica and have reluctantly been forced out of sight of the general public. The UA Circle of Spores Druid will likely be the playable option for Golgari. Any sort of necromancer build is also a good match.

The Gruul Clans – I want to say the Gruul are technically not a guild but there are many members of the Ravnican public that truly belong to no guild. The Gruul started out as somewhat of conservationists, keeping the spread of the city at bay. However, Ravnican society pretty much ignored the Gruul and kept on building anyway. This led to the Gruul sort of dismantling and becoming, not exactly non-existent but ununified. This is why the Gruul is referred to as clans, as they are really an assortment of smaller groups. They no longer serve the purpose of conservationists, but more anarchists and nomads. Their goal now is to break apart society and civilized life and bring the plane of Ravnica back to a more primitive state. The UA Brute would have been a good fit for Gruul but from what I heard from another forum member, barring a heavy fix, the Brute has been nixed. Otherwise, your typical Barbarian, Druid or Ranger makes for an ideal member of Gruul.

Boros Legion – The Boros act as the Ravnican military. This is all well and good as they typically seem honorable except that since Ravnica is technically a unified plane, I’m not sure what Boros would be protecting it from. Therefore, Boros ends up impulsively looking for a fight and cause when there may very well not be any. Someone pointed out that the Minotaur UA would be an ideal fit for the Boros Legion and I would agree. Beyond that, look to your typical Cleric, Fighter and Paladin.

Selesnya Conclave – I don’t now my Ravnica lore THAT well but I feel like Selesnya were sort of the sell outs for what Gruul represented. They are the conservationists the urban plane prefers over the Gruul – controlled and upkept. Selesnya is the parks and recreation to Gruul’s great outdoors. However, they have gotten a little nutty with their duties in gardening and arborism to the point of becoming cultish. Again, it has been pointed out by another forum member that the representative for Selesnya will be the UA Centaur and I agree. Any Druid, Ranger or other nature themed class/archetype is also a good match.

Simic Combine – I feel like from a D&D perspective, the Simic are going to possibly provide one of the most unique player options out of the bunch. The Simic are the bio-medical sector of Ravnica. Like the Izzet, however, they seem to have gotten a bit bored with their normal responsibilities at some point and have gone crazy with "perfecting" their experiments. However, instead of occasionally blowing up entire city blocks by accident, they have unleashed various freaks of nature upon civilization. These experiments go by the name Krasis (not sure if it’s the same singular and plural) but they aren’t exactly one species. They are more various combinations of species. Frog lizards. Fish crabs. Mutants upon mutants. My imagination cannot come up with any particular subclass that could stand in for the Simic other than some sort of outside-the-box druid/wizard hybrid. However, I think a more likely candidate would be a playable Krasis race.

Hope you enjoyed!

Eric Diaz
2018-07-24, 09:53 PM
Awesome write-up!

My 2c: Vengeance Paladin fits Boros better than Orzhov. Devotion would work too. I can see Ancients in Selesnya.

I'd like too see some type of "math-magician" for Azorius, but we don't have such a class... Maybe some new sub-class of wizard.

Same for Simic... Intelligence-based biomancers. Maybe some new sub-class of wizard.

Zanthy1
2018-07-24, 09:59 PM
I love your descriptions of the guilds, however your predictions for classes/subclasses....not so much. Especially since they said that the guilds would be more represented by backgrounds rather than classes/subclasses.

UrielAwakened
2018-07-24, 10:25 PM
I love your descriptions of the guilds, however your predictions for classes/subclasses....not so much. Especially since they said that the guilds would be more represented by backgrounds rather than classes/subclasses.

When did they say that.

Madfellow
2018-07-25, 08:14 AM
Feel free to correct me if you want. Just don’t be a jerk about it.

Orzhov Syndicate – It’s function as a bank has overshadowed the other two, especially the church aspect.

I disagree with that particular assessment. Orzhov is the primary religion on Ravnica, and it seems to be modeled after the Catholic church when it was controlled by the Borgias family. The Orzhov seems to worship two concepts: the sun, and debt. It is also a bank and a crime syndicate, but it still presents itself as, primarily, a church.

As for the Boros, you're right in that they seem to be a standing army with no wars to fight, but given that they are a guild in a metropolitan society, I see them as a kind of elite mercenary company. They get hired out when someone needs a peacekeeping force but doesn't want to deal with the Azorius beurocracy. They're the cowboy cops, while Azorius are the by-the-book cops. They get in, get the job done, and get out.

ciarannihill
2018-07-25, 08:36 AM
When did they say that.
They did a video for the DnD Beyond Youtube channel and in it Mike Mearls said the guilds would replace your normal "background" component of character creation. This doesn't preclude new archetypes in the spirit of guild related jobs like Biomancer or the Invention school of Wizard (which is super Izzet).

They also mentioned that they would have a list of common races and classes within each guild, although you as the player can choose whatever you want, but they would say things like "The races/classes commonly associated with Boros are X, Y and Z" as a starting point for players, but you're certainly not beholden to that.

Sception
2018-07-25, 08:52 AM
When did they say that.

Youtube video. That said, while the guilds will be directly represented via backgrounds (specifically backgrounds with greater, albeit still primarily non-combat, mechanical abilities than those of existing backgrounds), they also said that guild choice will guide (not determine) racial choice. Ie, specific races won't be locked into specific guilds, but there will be text letting players know which races are most commonly found as part of which guilds. It is reasonable to think that there might be similar guidance for classes. Not "Paladins are part of Boros" but rather "Boros includes many paladins" or "Many paladins are drawn to the Boros ethos" or the like.

I don't know about predictions, but my personal hopes include:

- Playable loxodon race
- New necromancy crunch for Dimir, Orzhov, and (especially) golgari

ciarannihill
2018-07-25, 09:01 AM
Youtube video. That said, while the guilds will be directly represented via backgrounds (specifically backgrounds with greater, albeit still primarily non-combat, mechanical abilities than those of existing backgrounds), they also said that guild choice will guide (not determine) racial choice. Ie, specific races won't be locked into specific guilds, but there will be text letting players know which races are most commonly found as part of which guilds. It is reasonable to think that there might be similar guidance for classes. Not "Paladins are part of Boros" but rather "Boros includes many paladins" or "Many paladins are drawn to the Boros ethos" or the like.

I don't know about predictions, but my personal hopes include:

- Playable loxodon race
- New necromancy crunch for Dimir, Orzhov, and (especially) golgari

Playable races I'm hoping for: Loxodon, Vedalkin, Vampire, Gorgons (like Vraska or the Sisters of Stone Death), etc.
Hoping for a new archetype for each guild, although this is gonna set me up for disappointment
Hoping for statblocks for notable NPCs: Niv-MIzzet, Aurela, Jarad, Rakdos, Borborygmos, Teysa, the Obzedat, etc
Hoping for some new spells
Hoping for tons of new, interesting monster statblocks: Shambleshark gogogo!

solidork
2018-07-25, 09:17 AM
I would love some Magic inspired spells, like Lightning Helix. A "Scavenge" spell that lets you consume a dead creature and distribute temporary HP among your party based on how many HD it had would also be cool.

It would be really cool to get a Simic "build your own monster" system where you a base stat block and then add various amounts of additional features from a list.

Sception
2018-07-25, 09:19 AM
I attack with my Grave Shell Scarab, and then sac it to re-dredge itself, after it's dealt combat damage somehow, because that's how things worked back then!

Gosh I miss Ravnica Block. First ravnica block, anyway. The more recent ravnica block was well after my time. Dredge was so fun and good, and good and fun. I ran dedicated dredge decks, BWG control with putrify, mortify, loxodon hierarchs.... It was such a good time.

Yeah, I'm pretty excited for this. Hard to say whether this or 5e Eberron is more exciting for me. I guess that depends on whether the ravnica book will include meaningful player crunch beyond the guild backgrounds.

ciarannihill
2018-07-25, 09:25 AM
I would love some Magic inspired spells, like Lightning Helix.

It would be really cool to get a Simic "build your own monster" system where you a base stat block and then add various amounts of additional features from a list.

Oh wow I hadn't really thought about the simple concept of using actual Magic Instants and Sorceries for new spells...Lightning Helix would be cool as a 2d6 radiant damage and healing the caster for the damage dealt type of thing. Supreme Verdict or Abrupt Decay as spells that can't be countered would be a nifty mechanic.

Curious if they'll try to capture the flavor or the guild mechanics in new spells or feats as well -- Having a spell that is nominally single target, but can "Overload" would be really cool. God I can't wait for this book, I'm super invested in it's potential.

Sception
2018-07-25, 09:31 AM
Multi-school spells would be a minor but interesting way of bringing in some of the multi-colored flavor of the block. Simic spells that are both evocation and alteration, dimir spells that are both enchantment and illusion, etc.

UrielAwakened
2018-07-25, 10:02 AM
I attack with my Grave Shell Scarab, and then sac it to re-dredge itself, after it's dealt combat damage somehow, because that's how things worked back then!

Gosh I miss Ravnica Block. First ravnica block, anyway. The more recent ravnica block was well after my time. Dredge was so fun and good, and good and fun. I ran dedicated dredge decks, BWG control with putrify, mortify, loxodon hierarchs.... It was such a good time.

Yeah, I'm pretty excited for this. Hard to say whether this or 5e Eberron is more exciting for me. I guess that depends on whether the ravnica book will include meaningful player crunch beyond the guild backgrounds.

The new one was way better. Until the third set.

First two sets in that block were some of the best limited environments I've ever played.

ciarannihill
2018-07-25, 10:12 AM

First two sets in that block were some of the best limited environments I've ever played.

RTR was fantastic and is in my top 5 blocks ever (Innistrad, Ravnica, RTR, Khans, and Zendikar for the record, not in particular order), but it is by no means "way" better than original Ravnica. They're pretty comparable, honestly. And both had fantastic limited environments, plus great constructed (the Lightning Helix peel off the top in the PT Semifinals is classic).

I think this will also include things for people who aren't necessarily fans of the setting to chew on as well, in the form of adventure fodder for political and faction based settings or urban campaigns.

Sception
2018-07-25, 03:29 PM

Eh, I honestly looked at getting back into magic when RTR came out, but without Dredge, my favorite guild just wasn't the same. I mean, sure, that mechanic did dumb things in some wider formats so I'm not surprised they didn't bring it, or something meaningfully like it, back, but in its block it worked fine and was tons of fun and really captured that life-and-death-and-life-again necromantic recycling theme of "reduce, reuse, reanimate" that defined the Golgari in a way that scavenge just... it just doesn't.

Bringing the same thing back again and again is the golgari way. Making some other creature bigger with +1/+1 counters is supposed to be Simic's deal.

UrielAwakened
2018-07-26, 08:57 AM
Scavenge was way better for a limited environment though. And Simic evolves and grows, they don't have a monopoly on +1/+1 counters. Using dead creatures to power living ones is totally Golgari.

Mikaleus
2018-10-09, 04:23 AM
My favourite magic setting is Ravnica (and also Theros) and im pretty hyped for it. Especially since Simic Hybrid was in the UA alongside Velkadan, Viashino and Loxodons.

My predictions are

Azorius - Order Domain Cleric

Golgari - Spores Druid.

Orzhov- Id say warlock but we already have undying patron as an option.

Rakdos- a dark chaos inducing bard

Izzet- a refined Wizard school of invention for sure

Boros- A wrathful Paladin oath would be wicked fun !

Dimir - Arcane trickster would be a perfect fit here but I could still see a more focused assassin rogue with magic for this guild.

Gruul - Barbarians and druids would do well here. A vicious fighter could do well here if not I’d love to see a Druid with a focus on elemental damage and shape shifting like the ones in Tal dorei.

Selesnya - I could see a new ranger here. Maybe a better beast master.

Simic- Sorcerer with more adaptions. Maybe get to pick from more specific and general ones available to Simic hybrids. Fits well cause In xanathars a sorcerer background is being made in a vat so why not haha.

Orzhov and Dimir are two of my least favourite guilds but also the ones I’m not sure of in the new book.

My favourite guild is Simic, followed by Boros and Gruul.

Arkhios
2018-10-09, 04:39 AM
snip

*ahem*

https://i.imgur.com/f6sCiEf.png

the_brazenburn
2018-10-09, 07:22 AM
I am personally hoping for a new race, subclass, and background for each guild, some fresh MTG-flavored spells, and a whopping huge bestiary.

Wouldn't mind a mini-adventure in the back, either. One with lots of maps.

And if we do get guildmaster stat blocks, what CR range do you expect them to be in? I think the 16-18 range looks right, maybe 20 for Rakdos and Niv-Mizzet.