PDA

View Full Version : Optimization How would you build a dual spear wielder in 5e?

Kvard51
2018-07-24, 08:55 PM
https://i.pinimg.com/564x/d6/4f/66/d64f660e2e78db9583e0e081955ea2d7.jpg

How to optimize the above character. Obviously and Elf. Everything else is up for discussion.

No homebrew, all 1st party is available. Let's skip UA for now.

Blood of Gaea
2018-07-24, 09:10 PM
Wood Elf, hunter ranger, get the dual wield feat at level four, use a single spear or two short swords until then.

Crgaston
2018-07-24, 09:13 PM
Wood elf, 10/16/14/8/16/10 with point buy. Start Fighter and pick two weapon fighting style. then immediately take 1 level of monk for Unarmored Defense and to use Dex for your attack/damage rolls with spears. Pick up Dual Wielder with your first ASI. Then alternate boosting Dex and Wis.

So really you could go 1 level of Fighter and the rest Monk or just add 1 level of Monk to a Fighter build depending on which class you prefer

Edit: Ranger would also be great for this, either straight up or with the 1 level Monk dip.

I’d probably want Samurai for the synergy with Monk... a skill, +Wis to Persuasion and free proficiency in Wis saves, but Battlemaster is never a wrong choice.

Joe the Rat
2018-07-24, 09:40 PM
I'd suggest using javelins - if you always dual wield versatile won't come up, and you have better range when thrown.

opaopajr
2018-07-25, 09:47 AM
Variant Human Charlatan, using a Disguise kit for prosthetic ears. Oh, and learn Elvish as your 2nd language, claim it was the other half of your ancestry. For the 1st lvl Vuman feat, you could take Dual Wielder... but there is an argument to be made for Actor. (Possibly even an argument for Magic Initiate, if you want to fake High or Dark Elf. But this will require more caffeine to maintain the illusion.) :smalltongue:

PeteNutButter
2018-07-25, 10:00 AM
Looks like a monk to me. Wood elf monk. Don’t use TWF, just attack with one spear each in your extra attack (post level 5). If you eventually cap your stats you can take the DW feat for another +1 AC.

Cool thing about monk is that spear/javelin damage scales with level so by level 11 you are no longer using an inferior weapon.

Vogie
2018-07-25, 10:16 AM
Looks like a monk to me. Wood elf monk. Don’t use TWF, just attack with one spear each in your extra attack (post level 5). If you eventually cap your stats you can take the DW feat for another +1 AC.

Cool thing about monk is that spear/javelin damage scales with level so by level 11 you are no longer using an inferior weapon.

I was going to suggest this as well... but make sure you have javelins in lieu of spears for that extra 10 ft of range.

You'd still need the Dual wielding feat because the Javelins don't have the light modifier, and you'd be able to draw them both in the same attack. Without it, you'd draw one javelin, then attack with it, then wait until your next turn to draw the other.

Raynor007
2018-07-25, 10:34 AM
Variant Human with the Dual Wielder Feat, Fighter with the Two-Weapon Fighting Style and you've got your dual spear wielder at level 1. If you take the UA Spear Master Feat at level 4, you're even better off, with an increased attack bonus, longsword damage dice for your spears, and some fun abilities.

For a more Dex-based build with some powerful/fun abilities that's less straightforward and more flavorful, a Ranger-Monk multi-class can be hella fun given time and levels. Start with the same Variant Human/Dual Wielder Feat, but 2 levels in Ranger (ideally UA Ranger) will give you the Fighting Style+Hunter's Mark for extra damage/hit. A level of Monk will turn the spear into a Dex weapon. Increase each as needed for flavor, gaining additional ki-powered attacks that stack with Hunter's Mark or more spells. This is really for if you have a specific flavor in mind; option 1 is by far the more mechanically simple and sound.

Rolero
2018-07-25, 10:43 AM
I don't get the hate Two-Weapon wielders get. Sure, it may be not the optimal path, but only if you have better uses for a bonus action available.

In this case, if we build this character as a warrior or ranger, an extra attack as a bonus action is a very powerful tool. Specially with the two-Weapon fighting style and feat.

Sure, if He goes the monk path it may be counterproductive, as it will compete with the unarmed attack, but that's not true in any other case.

Having said that, here is another way to build the character. How about barbarian?
Since spears aren't Finesse weapons, this guy will have to invest in strenght to wield them properly. Also, the necklace he wears is typical in assian monastic traditions, but could also represent devotion to some kind of faith, so Path of the Zealot could fit this guys perfectly or even in a spiritual way with Path of the Ancestral Guardian.

Since we have the forest Elf theme here, two or three levels in ranger work great and net him the fighting style and other goodies. Revised ranger would be optimal, but alas, it's still UA.