PDA

View Full Version : Mark of making

TheDoctorIsMyDM
2018-07-25, 12:24 AM
Just going through the newly released eberron material. I am curious, how would you interpret the human Mark of making Spellsmithing racial feature. Specifically, can it be used on an Arcane focus to give +1 to spell attacks and damage.

Here is the language:

You can spend one minute to weave a temporary enchantment into a nonmagical suit of armor or weapon. For the next hour the object becomes a magic item, gaining a +1 bonus to AC if it is armor or a +1 bonus to hit and damage if it is a weapon.

Arkhios
2018-07-25, 12:25 AM
Just going through the newly released eberron material. I am curious, how would you interpret the human Mark of making Spellsmithing racial feature. Specifically, can it be used on an Arcane focus to give +1 to spell attacks and damage.

Here is the language:

You can spend one minute to weave a temporary enchantment into a nonmagical suit of armor or weapon. For the next hour the object becomes a magic item, gaining a +1 bonus to AC if it is armor or a +1 bonus to hit and damage if it is a weapon.

Arcane Focus is neither a suit of armor or a weapon, so the (RAW) answer is: no.

Tetrasodium
2018-07-25, 12:30 AM
There is a section about different focus items that give a bonus to certain kinds of spells, so I'd allow it

ATHATH
2018-07-25, 06:01 AM
What if you have an item that is both an (improvised) weapon AND a piece of armor?

What if you have a helmet or something? Can you enchant that and stack that AC bonus with the bonus from your magical suit of, say, half-plate armor?

Tetrasodium
2018-07-25, 06:09 AM
What if you have an item that is both an (improvised) weapon AND a piece of armor?

What if you have a helmet or something? Can you enchant that and stack that AC bonus with the bonus from your magical suit of, say, half-plate armor?

Is that more or less believable than a ring that gives +1 to ac & all saves in your game?

Personally I'm not sure I'd allow it or not but leaning towards probably would

Kadesh
2018-07-25, 06:19 AM

A bucket is not a weapon, and thus not eligible to be affected by the mark of making.

There is no such armour as a 'helmet' in the armour table, and thus has no effect if you enchant it.

JackPhoenix
2018-07-25, 10:08 AM

Improvised weapon is not a weapon, only used as such at moment you use it to attack.