PDA

View Full Version : Converting Aberrant Evil to DnD alignments

werescythe
2018-07-25, 03:34 AM
So long before I ever played DnD, I played a game called Rifts, which I enjoyed very much. In Rifts the alignments are very different from DnD. Neutral being Selfish instead, is one example. Now one of the interesting alignments that I liked to pick was Aberrant Evil, which was described to me as being kind of like Hans Solo. Here is the dialogue that is used for it in the book.

Aberrant
1. Always keeps his word of honor
2. Lie & cheat those not worthy of his respect
3. May or may not kill an unarmed foe
4. Not kill an innocent particularly a child but will harm or kidnap
5. Never kill for pleasure
6. Not resort to inhumane treatment of prisoners, nut torture, although distasteful, is necessary means of extracting info.
7. Never torture for pleasure
8. May or may not help someone in need
9. work with others to attain his goals
10. Respect honor and self-discipline
11. Never betray a friend

Now the alignments in DnD 5e can be a bit confusing at times, so I was wondering would the closest alignment to this be Chaotic Neutral, Lawful Evil, or something else entirely?

Unoriginal
2018-07-25, 03:43 AM
This is literally textbook lawful evil, if a D&D character was usually behaving like that. "Methodically take what they want within the limits of a code".

Don't think how there's room for debates here.

I didn't see why this guy would be described as anything similar to Han Solo, though.

Also this guy is a big hypocrit. "Don't treat prisoners inhumanly, but torture them if you need it to win" is an oxymoron (because torture is inhuman). So yeah, typical bad guy.

werescythe
2018-07-25, 03:47 AM
This is literally textbook lawful evil, if it was a D&D character behaving like that. "Methodically take what they want within the limits of a code".

Don't think how there's room for debates here.

I didn't see why this guy would be described as anything similar to Han Solo, though.

The GM went into some explanation for it. Something to do with Han Solo shooting the one guy in the original Star Wars trilogy. I guess his thought was the Han starts off as Aberrant but as the series goes one he goes up in alignment. Or something like that. :smallwink:

Unoriginal
2018-07-25, 03:51 AM
The GM went into some explanation for it. Something to do with Han Solo shooting the one guy in the original Star Wars trilogy. I guess his thought was the Han starts off as Aberrant but as the series goes one he goes up in alignment. Or something like that. :smallwink:

Solo never had any of that code of honor stuff. He shot Greedo because Greedo was literally pointing a gun at him and announcing he was going to kill Solo.

Malifice
2018-07-25, 04:15 AM
So long before I ever played DnD, I played a game called Rifts, which I enjoyed very much. In Rifts the alignments are very different from DnD. Neutral being Selfish instead, is one example. Now one of the interesting alignments that I liked to pick was Aberrant Evil, which was described to me as being kind of like Hans Solo. Here is the dialogue that is used for it in the book.

Now the alignments in DnD 5e can be a bit confusing at times, so I was wondering would the closest alignment to this be Chaotic Neutral, Lawful Evil, or something else entirely?

Aberrant evil is Palladiums LE.

And whomever told you Han Solo is Aberreant evil needs to be shot at dawn.

hamishspence
2018-07-25, 05:08 AM
Unprincipled (approximately corresponding to CG) is the one given to Han by the Easydamus site:

http://easydamus.com/chaoticgood.html

though WOTC has at least once (Complete Scoundrel) cited him as a good example of TN. Presumably that was ANH-era or just before - maybe TESB-era at the latest - but not ROTJ era.

Tanarii
2018-07-25, 05:24 AM
Aberrant is Siembieda's version of villain level Lawful Evil, a bad guy with a code of honor.

JackPhoenix
2018-07-25, 10:04 AM
Solo never had any of that code of honor stuff. He shot Greedo because Greedo was literally pointing a gun at him and announcing he was going to kill Solo.

Han Solo shot first, because he won rolled better on the initiative check, and there are no readied actions outside combat.

Pharaon
2018-07-25, 10:54 AM
A third active alignment thread? I blame the impending lunar eclipse.

NecessaryWeevil
2018-07-25, 11:12 PM
nut torture, although distasteful, is necessary means of extracting info.

That is...oddly specific.

Malifice
2018-07-25, 11:39 PM

Two words: Kevin Siembiada.

Tanarii
2018-07-26, 05:18 AM
Squirrels often have valuable information.