PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for Silly Video Game Competition

Dairun Cates
2007-09-11, 07:02 PM
Okay. Big shock here, but I'm actually an officer for a fairly sizable anime club on my campus. We have a pool party every year, and we usually do a gaming tournament or two for the party.

Welll, to make a long story short. We decided that the typical Smash Bros/DDR/Guitar Hero tournaments were, well, kinda dumb. There's always one person who is amazing at one of these games and no one else will stand a chance. It's essentially just an informal prize giveaway for being good at a game.

So, last year we changed things up. We decided that we'd make a game tournament that no one could be decently practiced enough in to make a large enough impact to be a shoe-in. What was the competition? Co-op Katamari timed run on the racetrack level. Largest Katamari wins. Winners each get a prize. No one was allowed to practice. Considering that almost no one had played co-op and that the racetrack level was fast and nearly impossible to play without prior knowledge, it became an exercise in figuring out the actual RULES of the game faster than anyone else. As such, the team that won actually had never played Katamari. It was a hoot watching people crash into things. Everyone had fun, and it's become a memorable event in our club history.

Well, it's up to me to create the next Katamari Co-op tournament. I want something just as wacky and silly. I have a PS2 and a Wii and some older consoles if I have to. I can get access to a 360 as well, but I'd prefer not to rely on it. I have access to the Virtual Console line-up. I was thinking of possibly doing Original Ninja Gaiden with the controllers upside down or a few other ideas with some of the virtual console games, but I wanted to know what everyone else thought.

I have access to a lot of games. So, don't limit yourself to heavily to mainstream. The idea should be one where it's virtually impossible for anyone to have a huge upper hand over other players. So, I'd prefer something that is insanely unlikely that anyone has practiced heavily. This mostly leaves rhythm games out.

So, hit me with your best shot. What's the silliest game competition you can think of.

LiteYear
2007-09-11, 07:43 PM
A game that might be what you're looking for is Kororinpa: Marble Mania for the Wii. It's somewhat similar to the very old game Marble Madness, but with the Wii's control scheme, I think it is unique enough to be a challenge to everyone.

Crispy Dave
2007-09-11, 08:00 PM
WORMS

yes that old turn based shooter game that noones heard much newbs about in the last 5 years but they have released new games in 3d you could probly fine on to rent for a last gen consol but im not sure about this gen

doliemaster
2007-09-11, 08:01 PM
Get your hands on Night trap or E.T., NONE of them will have practice with those, and you get the fun of ridiculing those games.:smallbiggrin:

Reinboom
2007-09-11, 08:23 PM
Bubble Bobble (NES)
A later Reincarnation of Bust-A-Move (PS2 ??)
Spin Jam (PSX)
Star Wars Episode 1 Podracers (N64/DC)

From looking around this room.

Wonderboy
2007-09-11, 08:35 PM
WORMS

yes that old turn based shooter game that noones heard much newbs about in the last 5 years but they have released new games in 3d you could probly fine on to rent for a last gen consol but im not sure about this gen

Worms is downloadable onto a 360 from Live Arcade or whatever. I played some at my friends house.

Worms is also great because if you're really, really good at it, so what? If the newb opens a Concrete Donkey from a package or gets a well placed Air Strike, you're still screwed. Worms would rock.

TheLogman
2007-09-11, 09:10 PM
Guitar Hero Contest. with a twist! You are informed of the number of notes in a given song, and are to hit a random percentage of notes between 70-90. It would of course be on easy, with the easiest songs, but more math skills than guitar skills are put to the test.

As for more unknown games, try NES games that are only single players (Or even better, have Co-op!), and each person must bumble through a level or two, trying to either hit some certain target score, or just get the highest. Solar JetMan (Hunt for the golden Warp Ship) (NES), Russin' Attack (NES) try to get through as much as possible with no bazooka, only knife, on co-op, teams that get the farthest win. These two games are hard to find, and difficult, but fun. The chance that people have not only played these, but practiced them is at least one in a billion, if not more.

Super Smash Bros, HEAL FIGHT! The goal is to get your team from the 300% in sudden death to both 0%'s, but hitting the other team is not allowed. Knowledge of moves is nearly irrelevant, fighting skill is irrelevant, you just have to have speed, and basic knowledge of the game.

Logic
2007-09-11, 10:02 PM
First off, don't tell anyone what game the competetion is for, just say a game that is "To Be Announced." That way, some people will practice their butts off for games that probably won't even make the cut, or better yet, not even practice.

Games I suggest:

Clue! Seriously. No one will ever see this one coming.

Dairun Cates
2007-09-11, 11:22 PM
Nice ideas. I do like my roommates suggestion of a blindfolded wii sports tournament though. I'd love to see blind wii boxing.

Crispy Dave
2007-09-12, 12:43 PM
The Power Of Worms Shall Compel You

Nerd-o-rama
2007-09-12, 02:43 PM
Nice ideas. I do like my roommates suggestion of a blindfolded wii sports tournament though. I'd love to see blind wii boxing.
They'll just flail at the screen randomly like the most successful Wii Boxers do anyway.

You could have a decathlon of Wii Play events. But many of those are kinda lame (*cough* that bubble game thing).

Crispy Dave
2007-09-12, 06:52 PM
o wait mario party 1 noone will have practiced im years and its the best mario party ever

Mysticaloctopus
2007-09-12, 07:02 PM
Aww, I though this was a contest for silly game ideas, not ideas for a silly contest of gaming.

I was all geared up to present "Harvest Moon Babylon 5 Edition - Spoo Farmer"

However, I suggest this: Mario Bros, the lost levels, from Mario All-Stars. It's like the first one, but harder. Put basic platform jumping skills to the test. No silly rules, nothing more than mushrooms, fire flowers and bad mushrooms. Get as far as you can on five lives.

Reinboom
2007-09-13, 10:33 PM
Aww, I though this was a contest for silly game ideas, not ideas for a silly contest of gaming.

I was all geared up to present "Harvest Moon Babylon 5 Edition - Spoo Farmer"

However, I suggest this: Mario Bros, the lost levels, from Mario All-Stars. It's like the first one, but harder. Put basic platform jumping skills to the test. No silly rules, nothing more than mushrooms, fire flowers and bad mushrooms. Get as far as you can on five lives.

I would agree to this as well, but really make it so they can't test at it: Super Mario Bros. 2 (Japanese). Which is what the Lost Levels are, except, without the gravity control changed. (Super Mario All Stars versions of Super Mario Bros. and Lost Levels changed a bit more than people realize for mechanics.)

Or, get a cart ripper (they're legal), download the super mario forever IPS, apply it, and transfer it back on a developer cart.
Bit of work, but, super mario forever is harsh. (Super Mario Forever is the super mario frustrated famous youtube video).

blakyoshi7
2007-09-13, 11:10 PM
Pikmin 2 multiplayer.

Crispy Dave
2007-09-14, 06:57 PM
Yes pikmen forever im sorry but that realy touched my heart i love pikmen multiplayer so much and i always will it doesent matter what people say

but if you do play it make sure to house rule that you cant use the yellow mables to win because its cheap

Daze
2007-09-14, 07:02 PM
Fight Night! (round 3 preferably)...

If someone is too good at the game, then they have to play with a lower weight class fighter... the scrubs can be heavyweights...

Have an initial "seeding" tournament or regular season to determine everyone's ability and appropriate weight class. Then do a bracket or round robin.

Let the blood and cheesy rag doll knockouts fly!

mikeforte123
2007-09-16, 12:30 AM
Search no more!

Pokémon Puzzle League for the N64!

great multiplayer, and addictive

Crispy Dave
2007-09-16, 11:00 AM
I remeber that game it was awsome and sucked away the third grade(or fourth cant remember)

but no dont do that heres a list of choices that will save you money on your car insurance

Worms world party you can dowload it an alot of sites for 30 bucks or so I know pcgamer.com has it http://www.trygames.com/game/aff=t_16re/vid=f438cb75b56ff5d59ef33ff8933c13f9

Mario Party 1

Pikmen 2

Oblivion(have a contest to see who can beat the tutoril the fastest)

Zoraciel Ivtel
2007-09-17, 04:04 PM
Super Smash Bros jigglypuff-only battles. They are highly amusing to watch as much as (try to) play.

Mysticaloctopus
2007-09-17, 04:38 PM
I would agree to this as well, but really make it so they can't test at it: Super Mario Bros. 2 (Japanese). Which is what the Lost Levels are, except, without the gravity control changed. (Super Mario All Stars versions of Super Mario Bros. and Lost Levels changed a bit more than people realize for mechanics.)

Or, get a cart ripper (they're legal), download the super mario forever IPS, apply it, and transfer it back on a developer cart.
Bit of work, but, super mario forever is harsh. (Super Mario Forever is the super mario frustrated famous youtube video).

Mario Lost Levels Japanese is now available on wii virtual console - might wanna pick it up for that, so the keyboard-using ROM players and SNES/NES controller purists off by using a different controller to put everyone on an even-ish footing.

Wonderboy
2007-09-17, 08:40 PM
Super Smash Bros jigglypuff-only battles. They are highly amusing to watch as much as (try to) play.

The problem is that if someone has mastered Jigglypuff, they have really mastered Jigglypuff, who can totally own if you know how to use her. (It?)

Dairun Cates
2007-09-17, 08:49 PM
The problem is that if someone has mastered Jigglypuff, they have really mastered Jigglypuff, who can totally own if you know how to use her. (It?)

My roommate being one of them actually. The party got pushed back so I actually have until NEXT weekend to decide. Keep em coming.

Crispy Dave
2007-09-17, 10:14 PM
rayman raving rabits
wii sports ramdom game(put all the games on paper and put them in a hat or jar and at the start of the game you pick one