PDA

View Full Version : Scaled 'fur' suit tips.

Ravens_cry
2018-07-25, 05:02 PM
I had a big idea for a cosplay (https://starfinderwiki.com/sf/File:Vesk_mechanic.jpg) and since I'm not built like a linebacker, I realized fur suit techniques would serve me well. But, while I've seen lots of tutorials on fur suit making, I haven't found much on scaly 'fur'-suiting, at least that isn't super cartoonish. For the head, I could do glued together and sculpted EVA foam painted with latex, but I'm less sure on the lower arms and hands, especially if I want them to be usable and not just sculpted blocks. That's a potential solution, but not one I particularly favour. Anyone got any tips or ideas?

Rakaydos
2018-07-25, 05:36 PM
I'm not really a costumer, but how is a scaled suit different from a furred one, other than using Leather or sequined fabric instead of faux fur?

(also, this might get more responce in the Arts and Crafts subforum)

Anymage
2018-07-25, 05:39 PM
At the risk of asking a dumb question, wouldn't a place devoted to general cosplay have people with more ideas? I've seen some stuff that gets really elaborate.

Ravens_cry
2018-07-25, 05:43 PM
At the risk of asking a dumb question, wouldn't a place devoted to general cosplay have people with more ideas? I've seen some stuff that gets really elaborate.
Well, I could join another forum, it's true, but I know people here. Just wondered if anyone had any ideas or could point me in the right direction or even a good forum to ask for tips instead.

Peelee
2018-07-25, 05:58 PM
I can offer very little insight except this:

I know a guy who can make stuff like that. He claims to have been offered (and turned down) a job making prosthetics and costumes for The Hobbit through a friend of his, and after seeing some of his stuff, I fully believe it. His stuff looks unbelievable. It is incredibly intricate, with great attention to detail. It is also very expensive.

I'd recommend something like a fatsuit, but with a build more like what you want, and a leather or patterned lycra covering. It'd look anywhere from decent to good. If you want to look great, at a complete wild guess based off a couple of things the guy I know has done, it'd run you four figures, maybe five on the high end.

Ravens_cry
2018-07-25, 06:17 PM
I can offer very little insight except this:

I know a guy who can make stuff like that. He claims to have been offered (and turned down) a job making prosthetics and costumes for The Hobbit through a friend of his, and after seeing some of his stuff, I fully believe it. His stuff looks unbelievable. It is incredibly intricate, with great attention to detail. It is also very expensive.

I'd recommend something like a fatsuit, but with a build more like what you want, and a leather or patterned lycra covering. It'd look anywhere from decent to good. If you want to look great, at a complete wild guess based off a couple of things the guy I know has done, it'd run you four figures, maybe five on the high end.
Yeah, not exactly going that high, *laugh* I'm not Adam Savage here, lol, and even he mostly does things DIY except for parts he knows are not within his skillset.

Algeh
2018-07-28, 02:34 AM
You might also look into what the mermaid-dressing people use for their tails/lower bodies. They have some additional constraints since they need something that works in the water (which you probably don't care about), but that's another community of people trying to figure out how to move around in something scaly-looking.

Bohandas
2018-07-28, 04:50 AM

or a furry site

Rakaydos
2018-07-28, 11:33 AM
or a furry site

There's actually a lot more art than costuming in the fandom. Costumes are a lot more work and have a higher barrier to entry.

Peelee
2018-07-28, 11:43 AM
There's actually a lot more art than costuming in the fandom. Costumes are a lot more work and have a higher barrier to entry.

Knowing very little about furries, this doesnt surprise me. Costumes (at least, ones that look halfway decent) have a lot of issues; they're generally not mass produced, so you have to find the small vendors that can make the necessary parts or craft them yourself. Buying from vendors requires a lot of research and no small amount of money, crafting requires significantly more research and no small amount of artistic talent. You need to figure out how to make it relatively comfortable and mobile (which can sometimes work at cross-purposes) without sacrificing hour it looks (which DEFINITELY works at cross-purposes), visibility and overheating are significant issues, care and storage are considerations, and even then a surprising along of people will want to manhandle you and can cause wear and tear that you wouldn't expect.

Just wanted to underscore your point a bit, if you don't mind.

Psyren
2018-07-30, 08:32 AM
As the saying goes, there's a subreddit for everything. I would probably start there.