PDA

View Full Version : Tiefling Appearance - Would you Allow These?

Dr. Cliché
2018-07-25, 05:59 PM
I recently came across this:

http://www.rilmani.org/timaresh/Appearance_of_Tieflings

Basically a big list of Tiefling traits, based on the type of demon or devil they're related to (I think it's from 2nd Edition, though I could be mistaken). Plus a table for players to mix and match stuff.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone would allow these in their 5e games?

Hypersmith
2018-07-25, 06:03 PM
I don't see why not. No mechanical differences, could make for nice RP, or at the very least nice variations on what feels like the generic "red+small horns or goat horns+tail" tiefling.

Tetrasodium
2018-07-25, 06:09 PM
I also allow players to pick their hair/skin/eye color & to a degree their height. I'm not sure why this would be contentious thing?

Dr. Cliché
2018-07-26, 03:14 AM
I also allow players to pick their hair/skin/eye color & to a degree their height. I'm not sure why this would be contentious thing?

Well, many of them seemed rather more extreme than hair/eye colour. :smalltongue:

Rynjin
2018-07-26, 03:20 AM

Basically a big list of Tiefling traits, based on the type of demon or devil they're related to (I think it's from 2nd Edition, though I could be mistaken). Plus a table for players to mix and match stuff.

It's from Pathfinder, as credited at the bottom of the page. At least, the Random Feature chart is.

There's one for aasimar (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/featured-races/arg-aasimar/) too.

Aasimar and Tieflings are commonly played in both home games and organized play in Pathfinder and customizable appearance has never been an issue. I see no reason 5e would be any different unless players/GMs are way more anal about that sort of thing for some odd reason.

Unoriginal
2018-07-26, 03:25 AM

I would allow the player to choose hair/skin/eye colors, the shape of their horns & tail, and a few other features (hooves or not, exotic features like metalic scales, etc).

However, 5e's Tieflings are strictly Devilish, so there are some things that won't be allowed.

Glorthindel
2018-07-26, 03:31 AM
I would be more than happy to have a player customise their own tiefling as much or as little as they like. I really disliked the "all tieflings come from a single source" retcon, and consider it a much more boring interpretation of the race, and far prefer the idea that every tiefling is a little bit different.

Scots Dragon
2018-07-26, 03:38 AM
However, 5e's Tieflings are strictly Devilish, so there are some things that won't be allowed.

A retcon that should be loudly ignored as being stupid because it massively limits the ideas and concepts that tieflings can embody, and in fact contradicts basically everything important from earlier material on the matter.

As to the topic, you can find a better version of the same in the Planewalker's Handbook for AD&D 2E.

Unoriginal
2018-07-26, 04:20 AM
A retcon that should be loudly ignored as being stupid because it massively limits the ideas and concepts that tieflings can embody, and in fact contradicts basically everything important from earlier material on the matter.

There is nothing stupid about it. You might not like it, that doesn't make it stupid. There are plenty of ideas and concepts one can choose for their Tieflings even if they're specifically infernal rather than fiendish in general.

As for contradicting earlier material, that's part of the course for each edition.