PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Devotion Paladin

Lord Bushbaby
2018-07-25, 09:50 PM
The paladin in question, Akmenos Tiberon III, is 4th level now, and I have taken the spell sniper feat and booming blade, for my glaive. Im wondering if I should multi class into sorcerer, and when.

Im using a zariel tiefling for +1 str and +2 cha, and standard array, so my stats are 16, 10, 13, 8, 12, 16.

CTurbo
2018-07-25, 09:58 PM
Depends on which direction you want to take him. What is it about Sorcerer that interest you? I would probably stay pure Paladin unless there is just a great reason to go somewhere else.

Lord Bushbaby
2018-07-25, 10:39 PM
I was thinking that I could get some mileage out of the metamagics combined with divine smite. Are there any other classes that you would recommend multi classing into?

1Pirate
2018-07-25, 10:54 PM
I'm not sure you're going to want to multiclass right now. You get extra attack 5, and Aura of Protection at 6. I don't think meta magic is worth delaying those for three levels. At some point, someone will suggest Warlock since a one level dip gets you a nice ranged cantrip(which will combine nicely with your spell sniper feat) and a short rest spell slot that you can use for smiting, and some neat patron benefits.

Lord Bushbaby
2018-07-25, 11:49 PM
Thanks guys! I may not go with Warlock, because I don't want to rp the whole patron and god thing, but I will hold off on multiclassing.

Hooligan
2018-07-26, 12:22 AM
Depending on the campaign/DM you also may want to advance to level 7, immunity to charm is an excellent and underrated feature.

CTurbo
2018-07-26, 01:54 AM
Yeah single class Paladin is already one of the strongest out there. I wouldn't multiclass.

Citan
2018-07-26, 04:35 PM
The paladin in question, Akmenos Tiberon III, is 4th level now, and I have taken the spell sniper feat and booming blade, for my glaive. Im wondering if I should multi class into sorcerer, and when.

Im using a zariel tiefling for +1 str and +2 cha, and standard array, so my stats are 16, 10, 13, 8, 12, 16.
Hi!

First thing first: "should" is always a very strong word as far as multiclass goes. Especially on a Paladin for which (nearly) every level is packed with goodies.

Second thing: if you had the idea of multiclassing into Sorcerer *just* for the leisure of Quickening Booming Blade, don't. That, alone, is absolutely not worth stalling Paladin progression for at least 4 levels, whatever time you would plan to take them.

In fact, as much as I love the Sorcerer / Paladin combo, I fail to see why you would even envision the multiclass.
It would be useful for you to give us some context on what you experience as insufficient in pure Paladin.

With that said, for a quick overview of possible objectives justifying a Sorcerer multiclass.
1. Being extra good at landing smite spells (any Sorcerer 3+ for Heightened, Wild Magic Sorcerer 6 for Bend Luck, Darkness Sorcerer 6 for Hound, latter recommended).

2. Having better slots to upcast spells or smite, quicker and "higher" than a pure Paladin (knowing full well you renounce Expanded Auras, 4th level spells, capstone, possibly also 4th level spells).

3. Shoring up one of the several areas in which Paladin sways between "just decent enough" and "sucks hard".
- ranged attacks (which is actually not that a problem for Devotion Paladin, Sacred Weapon working on any weapon): a plain level for extra cantrips will do the trick, even for several levels it's usually Warlock the primed one, for good reason.
- mobility: Expeditious Retreat / Fly / Haste (with risks) enhance the threat level and safety of the Paladin.
- utility: Comprehend Languages, Enhance Ability, Counterspell, Polymorph are all useful spells to have when you are the main skill-check doer or nobody else can get those.
- sustainable offense: although Paladins get Elemental Weapons, which are in the top 5 buffs a martial could hope for, Sorcerer could also make him more deadly in different ways, enhancing defense (Mirror Image for a Dex build, or Blur), or offense (landing a Hold Person is like giving oneself a big birthday cake in advance, pulling a Slow make allow you to tank a group instead of getting gangbanged), or both (Haste, although reasonable option only if you have Resilient: Constitution AND Warcaster, Greater Invisibility FTW, or even Investiture spells).
- group handling: either by killing (Fireball), or by stalling (Slow/Hypnotic Pattern/Fear).

4. Enhancing action economy efficiency with metamagics:
- Twin is not that great, because per RAW doesn't work with any smite spell, and Command is upcastable already. Unless you plan on twinning Compelled Duel regularly (and even then), it makes you a situational one-trick pony (Twinned Booming Blade).
- Subtle is always great in essence, but for Paladins multiclassing, Warcaster is often a prime choice of feat, reducing significantly the interest of that metamagic. Unless of course you're the guy doing most skills checks (Subtle Enhance Metamagic) or you expect to face casters regularly (no Counterspelling your spell).
- Extended ranges from good to great, depending on your role in party (so choice of spells): using on Aura of Vitality doubles the healing, which is great. Using it on Aid before a long rest boosts your party "for free". Using it on smite spells will usually be a waste unless a) you really need it to run 2mn b) the enemy will fail all saves, kinda improbable. That said, if you pick Divine Soul, many Cleric spells pair greatly with it. Also some Sorcerer spells. :)
- Empowered: useful only if you pick relevant Sorcerer spells or you like to upcast smite spells hard. Otherwise, not enough spells that can take use of it. Even use-case of "ensure Booming Blade deals good damage" is insufficient imo.
- Careful: exactly the same diagnostic. Most of Paladin spells are "friendly" already.
- Heigthened: as told above, one of the best metamagic to pair with your Paladin greatness. But the cost is daunting. This is a good pick usually only if you are ready to supply a lot of SP one way or another (probably converting at least 30% of your total casting power everyday). It can be worth though if your party is counting on your smite riders.
- Quicken: probably the best metamagic all around, although more situational than most people will tell for a Paladin, who should use smite spells. If you rarely use them though, and don't plan on using bonus action spells from Sorcerer (Cleric spells if Divine Soul, Flaming Sphere, Dust Devil etc), then although the critic about Heightened is also valid here (it's still 2 SP every cast), it's the no-brainer pick, allowing you things like casting a Slow/Fear before attacking for example.

Hope that helps. :)