PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Can a Dancing Sword be destroyed by 20 damage?

Merudo
2018-07-25, 11:13 PM
I recently have an opportunity to spend some gold to acquire a Dancing Sword.

However, I worry that the sword is overly vulnerable to being destroyed while in use.

Is it true that a Dancing Sword, once activated, has AC 19, 10 hit points, and resistance to all damage?

This means a few hits on the sword is all it takes to have it be destroyed. Worse, a single Fireball can destroy the Dancing Sword outright.

The Dancing Sword seems extremely fragile, and I wouldn't want to spend a lot of gold on an item that may only be used a few times before it breaks.

DarkKnightJin
2018-07-26, 01:24 AM
I'm not entirely sure where you got those stats for a Dancing Sword from.
The only one that I'm familiar with is the one on the DMG, and that one doesn't have a statblock to go with it, as I recall.

Beyond that, a Dancing Sword is a Magical Item. They aren't THAT easy to destroy.
Even if thise stats are something that's correct for it, it doesn't get *destroyed* when 'killed'. It'd just fall to the ground, probably waiting for your next long rest to be finished to spring back to life.

Though that would seriously nerf the "4 attacks, then it returns to your hand" thing fromnthe DMG, and basically make it a worthless item because you would constantly worry about losing your weapon to some random enemy.

Merudo
2018-07-26, 01:52 AM
I'm not entirely sure where you got those stats for a Dancing Sword from.
The only one that I'm familiar with is the one on the DMG, and that one doesn't have a statblock to go with it, as I recall.

The DMG mentions Steel items to have 19 AC, and a small, resilient item to have 10hp.

elfinboy
2018-07-26, 02:09 AM
Those stats apply to non magical items

EG: if a sword had 19AC and 10HP then casting fireball (or other spell with a large radius) while fighting dragon with a treasure hoard then some or all the loot would get destroyed if it was near the dragon or in the same room

Merudo
2018-07-26, 03:03 AM
Those stats apply to non magical items

EG: if a sword had 19AC and 10HP then casting fireball (or other spell with a large radius) while fighting dragon with a treasure hoard then some or all the loot would get destroyed if it was near the dragon or in the same room

You have a point.

Also magic items are explicitly immune to most (all?) effects that damage items. A Rust Monster can't damage a magical sword made of metal, for example. Same thing with the Shatter spell.

However, the DMG seems to imply magical items merely have resistance to damage compared to non-magical items:

Thanks to a combination of careful crafting and magical reinforcement, a magic item is at least as durable as a nonmagical item of its kind. Most magic items, other than potions and scrolls, have resistance to all damage

BeefGood
2018-07-26, 05:57 AM
You have a point.
However, the DMG seems to imply magical items merely have resistance to damage compared to non-magical items:

Just yesterday I decided to give a dancing sword to a character. Now I’m not so sure. Anyway, thanks for timely post.

Lord Vukodlak
2018-07-26, 06:00 AM
There aren't really any rules for sundering someones equipment. The dancing sword is not presented with having HP or an AC. (like with an animated object). So I would assume it as neither and foes can't interfere with it anymore then they can a Spiritual Weapon.

Unoriginal
2018-07-26, 06:24 AM
When characters need to saw through ropes, shatter a window, or smash a vampire's coffin, the only hard and fast rule is this: given enough time and the right tools, characters can destroy any destructible object. Use common sense when determining a character's success at damaging an object. Can a fighter cut through a section of a stone wall with a sword? No, the sword is likely to break before the wall does. For the purpose of these rules, an object is a discrete, inanimate item like a window, door, sword, book, table, chair, or stone, not a building or a vehicle that is composed of many other objects.

STATISTICS FOR OBJECTS
When time is a factor, you can assign an Armor Class and hit points to a destructible object. You can also give it immunities, resistances, and vulnerabilities to specific types of damage

DMG p. 247

Also:

For the purpose of these rules, an object is a discrete, inanimate item

Armor Class. An object's Armor Class is a measure of how difficult it is to deal damage to the object when striking it (because the object has no chance of dodging out of the way)

A Dancing Sword is obviously not an inanimate item with no chance of dodging out of the way.

THAT BEING SAID: magic items are resistant, not indestructible (unless they specifically have the special power that makes them indestructible, which is described in the DMG).

So yes, all magic items the PCs have except the ones who are directly noted to be indestructible, be it their magic armors, their weapons (Dancing or not) or others, can be destroyed if the DM decides it's possible.

It's not something special for the Dancing Sword.

Merudo
2018-07-26, 03:35 PM
So there really is no agreement on how a DM should deal with the Dancing Sword receiving damage.

The harshest interpretation gives the Dancing Sword AC 19, 10 hit points, and resistance to all damage. One fireball and it's gone.

Another interpretation is that the sword is considered to be an object that is being worn/yield while active (like a Ioun Stone): it can't be damaged while active, but might be snatched away

Unoriginal mentions that the sword may have higher stats to reflect that it is a Dancing Sword that presumably can dodge attacks. The DM decides on the stats, as the books offer little guidance.

Similarly, the sword may regain hitpoints if damaged (like the rope of climbing), or may have a high damage threshold

DarkKnightJin suggests that the sword, if it loses all it hitpoints, may simply become inactive for the day. However, it's unclear what would happen if the sword gets damaged after being inactive.

Lord Vukodlak argues that the sword is virtually invulnerable (like a Spiritual Weapon)

DeTess
2018-07-26, 03:40 PM
My current dm has ruled for a similar case that such items only get damaged when directly targeted (so no AoE collateral), and that 'killing' them just knocks them out untill the next long rest.

No brains
2018-07-26, 04:36 PM
Well this makes Solars a little less scary.

Since this sword is magically listening to orders to fly around, I'm not gonna mention 'realism'...

LordEntrails
2018-07-26, 04:50 PM
In summary, the item has no stats. The rules you mention don't directly apply. Therefore it's up to your DM to make a ruling.

So ask them.

holywhippet
2018-07-26, 04:59 PM
So there really is no agreement on how a DM should deal with the Dancing Sword receiving damage.

The harshest interpretation gives the Dancing Sword AC 19, 10 hit points, and resistance to all damage. One fireball and it's gone.

You seem to be overlooking an obvious extension to using that ruling. Your regular weapons and armour that the party is wearing would also need to be handled using the same rules. So if someone drops a fireball on you you'd immediately be naked and unarmed.

LordEntrails
2018-07-26, 05:05 PM
You seem to be overlooking an obvious extension to using that ruling. Your regular weapons and armour that the party is wearing would also need to be handled using the same rules. So if someone drops a fireball on you you'd immediately be naked and unarmed.
And then quickly arrested for indecent exposure!

Merudo
2018-07-26, 07:04 PM

Yeah, I am familiar with the Shatter spell, which doesn't work on items that are worn or carried.

I thought there was a general rule against destruction of worn or carried items, but turns out that is not the case.

So a Dancing Sword is no more vulnerable to Fireball than a yielded sword.

ThePolarBear
2018-07-26, 07:20 PM

Yeah, I am familiar with the Shatter spell, which doesn't work on items that are worn or carried.

I thought there was a general rule against destruction of worn or carried items, but turns out that is not the case.

So a Dancing Sword is no more vulnerable to Fireball than a yielded sword.

Considering that Fireball doesn't damage objects that are not flammable (and even then only light them on fire if not worn or carried), i would say that a Dancing Sword and all the equipment an adventurer usually carries is completely safe.

Arcangel4774
2018-07-27, 12:41 PM
If you were to stat out a dancing sword i woudl use the flying sword as reference. And beef it up becuase a dancing sword (that flies) should be better than one that flies but doesnt dance lol