PDA

View Full Version : Player Help best beasts,elementals,fey for conjuring/wild shape

elfinboy
2018-07-26, 01:51 AM
im playing a lv17 druid in an AL campaign at my local game store I focus mostly on conjuring elementals and fey then i planer binding them with a 8th level spell slot so i have an army of minions

since I hit tier 3 and 4 i've been having problems with resistance/immunity to non magical bludgeoning,piercing,and slashing damage from attacks

I looked in mordenkainen's,volos,and the monster manual for an elemental or fey that would be effective against high CR monsters. Is there something i'm missing or are there just no good monsters for summoning in a high level campaign.

note my max wild shape cr is 1

sithlordnergal
2018-07-26, 02:00 AM
Welcome to the unfortunate life of anyone who focuses on conjuration. Unless you're a Shepard Druid your only real option to do non-resisted damage is the Fire Elemental. I can't think of any other decent creature you could summon to deal damage to things with those resistances, other then maaaybe some Mephits or Magmin. However those aren't exactly great, since their greatest damage comes through being killed. While the Fire Elemental may not do a ton of damage at once, it does do a lot of chip damage by setting people on fire, dealing fire damage when hit, and their touch attacks are decent. Other then that...use Conjure Animals to summon as many velociraptors as you can and hope you get enough crits to nullify the resistance?

Vessyra
2018-07-26, 02:30 AM
Summoning a horde of pixies is crazy, due to the innate spell casting. Any other creatures with innate spell casting work to. You could try a horde of sprites and use sheer numbers to make an enemy fail a save against the sleep poison, but that's more risky due to the sprites low to-hit and the enemies high saves. Magma mephits with heat metal are great, or you could summon the lowest CR mephits and use the sheer number of exploding mephitis to take down enemies.

Wild shape: There are no animals with magic weapons, that's what the moon druid level six is for. You could try getting someone to cast magic weapon on your claws or fangs (it works as per RAW, as natural attacks are considered weapons) or you could rub oil of sharpness on them.