PDA

View Full Version : Optimization So... What would you play in Eberron?

Wasp
2018-07-26, 03:01 AM
Hi everyone!

With the UA and the Wayfinder's Guide to Eberron released - what did intrigue you? What character(s) would you like to play in Eberron?

Just to see what everyone flocks to...

Cheers

Wasp

Darth_Versity
2018-07-26, 03:40 AM
Well I've previously played a Changeling Bard using the original Eberron UA. Now though, I'm looking at a Warforged, Cleric of The Forge.

During the war he was designed to fix broken armaments and other Warframes in the field, thus he has an incorporated set of smiths tools in his body, including a small anvil.

Since the war, he has adopted the simple name of Smith and been working as a smithy. He's work was so good, it attracted the attention of the local church of the Sovereign Host, who claimed his ability was a gift from Onatar to the community, and encouraged him to join the church to further hone his dedication to the forge.

Lord Bushbaby
2018-07-26, 03:45 AM
Warframes eh?

In regards to OP I'm really not sure what id play in eberron, as I'm quite new, and have only played 5e. Can someone fill me in on options?

Darth_Versity
2018-07-26, 04:06 AM
Warframes eh?

Apparently so. I guess I've been playing that a bit too much lately 😂

Balthasaurus
2018-07-26, 04:19 AM
I was inspired by an idea from SCAG, and I'm also going to be playing as a warforged, but as a battlerager barbarian. During the last war, he was created as part of a group of elite shock troopers, but he never actually got to see any combat due to the occurrence of the Day of Mourning. Now, he struggles to fit in with the new world due to his fearsome spiked armour, which is just part of his body and something he cannot remove. I thought it would be neat to play as a character who was literally built for a war they never got to be a part of, and is now trying to work out how to make their life work.

Reticent
2018-07-26, 05:15 AM
Warforged Envoy Druid named Scrivener, created to translated and scribe secret communiques in the Druidic language during the war.

Looking forward to getting to use the Druid class' medium armor proficiency without having to find an exotic armor first.

Fnissalot
2018-07-26, 05:37 AM
A beasthide shifter boar named Ganondorf but when he shifts calls himself Ganon...

ZorroGames
2018-07-26, 07:28 AM
No knowledge of the setting beyond forum tussles so probably would stick with my usual Variantr Standard Human or Mt. Dwarf Fighter, Ranger, or combat Cleric. Maybe Wizard.

Sigreid
2018-07-26, 07:33 AM
I think a changeling mastermind could be a blast in the right campaign.

JakOfAllTirades
2018-07-26, 07:43 AM
My favorite part of Eberron were the Hobgoblin tribes; remnants of a lost empire that used to span the entire continent. So I'd definitely play a Hobgoblin (again) but I'm not sure what class I'd pick for Eberron in 5E. Their stat bonuses and racial abilities make them sorta good for lots of classes, but not great at any in particular.

Kadesh
2018-07-26, 07:50 AM
Lizardman Bladesinger from Ravnica.

Sigreid
2018-07-26, 07:55 AM
My favorite part of Eberron were the Hobgoblin tribes; remnants of a lost empire that used to span the entire continent. So I'd definitely play a Hobgoblin (again) but I'm not sure what class I'd pick for Eberron in 5E. Their stat bonuses and racial abilities make them sorta good for lots of classes, but not great at any in particular.

A wizard with an int bonus and free light armor seems pretty stellar to me.

EvilAnagram
2018-07-26, 08:10 AM
A Warforged Druid who feels disconnected from the natural world he admires.

A Changeling Wild Sorcerer who grew up on the streets and is only just realizing her strength.

A Gnome Artificer who likes explosions.

Regitnui
2018-07-26, 08:32 AM
I'm currently playing a changeling menagerie (moon druid).

Wilb
2018-07-26, 08:53 AM
A blacksmith Hexblade Warforged called Hephestus Goodsheathe.

Anon von Zilch
2018-07-26, 09:09 AM
A hardboiled wandslinging inquisitive, haven't figured out race or class yet.

Aleister VII
2018-07-26, 09:11 AM
Envoy Warforged, hands down.

It's plainly awesome, the build-in AC I heavenly, CON is always good and customizable scores like a half elf/human are even better, the extra language and tool can be useful but the scores and the AC are all that you need.

Personally I'm already making an envoy warforged circle of spores Druid, it was built with an herbalist kit but it's investigations of some mushrooms gone too far...

Another Envoy warforged I'm planning to make are a wild sorcerer one that's actually the replica of her Creator daughter but the magic used to animate her goes a little wild and unstable, the other being a warlock of a still undecided patron that wishes to become more humanoid-like and has a Pinocchio complex to the point of selling his soul I envision it quite childish and mischievous.

Fire Tarrasque
2018-07-26, 09:21 AM
So, I haven't bought it because money is my precious, but that third race they mentioned in the video who's name i'm to lazy to remember sounded interesting at least. Maybe a Mystic, bought off DM's Guild.

clem
2018-07-26, 09:23 AM
A Kalashtar Inquisitive Rogue. I suspect very little would escape his notice.

CharonsHelper
2018-07-26, 09:44 AM
A wizard with an int bonus and free light armor seems pretty stellar to me.

Yeah - the thing I don't like about hobgoblin stats is that they don't fit their vibe at ALL anymore. Their fluff is that they have few full-fledged arcane casters - what they had were mostly bards. That, and a lot of warriors.

I believe that in 3.5 they got DEX & CON (and were a really terrible +1 LA - but that's a whole 'nother thing).

The race is pretty good for a wizard or a gish - but they aren't supposed to really do either wizards or gishes besides bards (which they're NOT good for).

I really wish that they'd given them +1 CHA instead of INT, and Saving Face is just a weird ability.

Shining Wrath
2018-07-26, 10:24 AM
Depending on mood at the moment:

Warforged Paladin, Oath of the Ancients. He saw the Day of Mourning firsthand, and has vowed to protect the world from unnatural disasters.
Shifter Rogue (thief) with aberrant dragonmark. He's outcast from society, living on the fringes, surviving as best he can.
Changeling Transmuter, who thinks the entire world should be as pliable as her own form.
Half elf Sorcerer (Storm) with the Mark of Storm (Orien). Bring all the lightning.

Sigreid
2018-07-26, 10:34 AM
Yeah - the thing I don't like about hobgoblin stats is that they don't fit their vibe at ALL anymore. Their fluff is that they have few full-fledged arcane casters - what they had were mostly bards. That, and a lot of warriors.

I believe that in 3.5 they got DEX & CON (and were a really terrible +1 LA - but that's a whole 'nother thing).

The race is pretty good for a wizard or a gish - but they aren't supposed to really do either wizards or gishes besides bards (which they're NOT good for).

I really wish that they'd given them +1 CHA instead of INT, and Saving Face is just a weird ability.

According to Volo's, their war mages are very evoker wizard. I can't comment on past Eberron as I have no familiarity.

Gydian
2018-07-26, 10:36 AM
A warforged janitor named Sweeper. He cleans and he keeps to himself. I would play him as a monk. I already bought the mini from HeroForge.

Bloodcloud
2018-07-26, 10:43 AM
Envoy bard with built-in instrument can only be good... In-built bagpipe? Piano teeth? A full on tuba built in his entire body?

So many possibilities!

EvilAnagram
2018-07-26, 11:46 AM
A warforged janitor named Sweeper. He cleans and he keeps to himself. I would play him as a monk. I already bought the mini from HeroForge.

I enjoy this.

Waterdeep Merch
2018-07-26, 12:03 PM
I've always wanted to play a Kalashtar Paladin that walks the Path of Light. I'm super happy that there's some good synergy here.

I also want to play a Kalashtar confidence man, probably Thief Rogue. Someone who turned away from their usual mission for selfish gain and profit.

And, a Changeling Bard having an identity crisis. She's been so many people so often that she's forgotten which persona is herself.

Ooh, and I want to play a Shadow-marked Shadow Monk Drow assassin, hunting down a Xen'drik relic that belongs to her clan.

Also, I want to play a Mark of Making Cannith salaryman, after Artificer gets fixed up. He's a total nebbish genius that understands how unscrupulous he needs to be to rise in the House, but doesn't have the guts for it.

Oh, oh! And I want to play an Envoy Warforged apothecary, also using Artificer and the Alchemist subclass. After the war, it's been repurposed in rural Breland as a healer for the sick and injured, mixing medicines within itself and dispensing them like a medical soda machine.

Maybe I'll settle for a disillusioned Cleric of the Silver Flame, who only holds onto his faith because he recognizes that threats like the Emerald Claw are worse than whatever heresy is eating away the heart of the church.

Don't force me to make a decision. Don't make me kill my babies.

2D8HP
2018-07-26, 12:35 PM
I think I'd play an archer/swordsman witg some skills....

.....just like 9/10ths of all my 5e PC's, though I suppose that if the adventures are more likely to take place in the City of Sharn I may give my PC a higher Investigation skill.

Otherwise, explore a fantastic world, encounter magical beings, put holes in them.

Just like Oerth and Toril.

Mjolnir_Prime
2018-07-26, 12:55 PM
Not going to lie, would love to make a Skirmisher Warforged who (for flavor) has a hand crossbow built into his arm. Basically I want to make a D&D version of Megaman...

EvilAnagram
2018-07-26, 12:57 PM
I think I'd play an archer/swordsman witg some skills....

.....just like 9/10ths of all my 5e PC's, though I suppose that if the adventures are more likely to take place in the City of Sharn I may give my PC a higher Investigation skill.

Otherwise, explore a fantastic world, encounter magical beings, put holes in them.

Just like Oerth and Toril.

Gotta favor acrobatics if you want to swing from a chandelier.

solidork
2018-07-26, 01:06 PM
Kashaltar Light Cleric who is just really friendly and nice, kinda like a guidance councilor or something.

Zanthy1
2018-07-26, 01:08 PM
Well I've previously played a Changeling Bard using the original Eberron UA. Now though, I'm looking at a Warforged, Cleric of The Forge.

During the war he was designed to fix broken armaments and other Warframes in the field, thus he has an incorporated set of smiths tools in his body, including a small anvil.

Since the war, he has adopted the simple name of Smith and been working as a smithy. He's work was so good, it attracted the attention of the local church of the Sovereign Host, who claimed his ability was a gift from Onatar to the community, and encouraged him to join the church to further hone his dedication to the forge.

I made the exact same character. Warforge envoy with smith tools, cleric of the forge. I made him a custom background, Field Medic and Repair Unit. Same generally idea, would heal people and equipment during battles and in between them, pretty much whenever. Has the cantrips Mending and Spare the Dying, so as long as he can get to what needs saving he can sorta do it. I haven't figured out a whats he doing now idea though yet.

Shining Wrath
2018-07-26, 01:55 PM

I shall not behave incautiously.

2D8HP
2018-07-26, 02:24 PM
Gotta favor acrobatics if you want to swing from a chandelier.

Good tip.

Thanks!

mormon_soldier
2018-07-26, 05:38 PM
I got really interested in the idea of a warforged named Pinocchio who just wants to be organic. A transmuter wizard who casts alter self on himself everyday to get the feel for his ultimate goal.

JakOfAllTirades
2018-07-26, 06:23 PM

Eberron really needs a variant Hobgoblin to be true to the original setting; the current 5E version of the Hobgoblin isn't a good fit at all.

But I doubt that's going to happen.

Dr.Samurai
2018-07-26, 10:06 PM
Eh, hobgoblins don't need to be stronger than everyone else to conquer the continent. When we think of them, we think of their discipline, order, and military might. That can win you the day even if you're as physically strong as everyone else. Intelligence can work (thought I do agree it is weird). But they had an artificer tradition alongside the bard tradition, so Int fits just as well as Cha. Except Intelligence might also impact architecture and military tactics/strategy.

So, I can chalk them up to be exceptionally hardy and resilient (+2 con), and exceptionally intelligent, which gave them an edge in strategy and conquering. It also gave them an edge in artifice.

It's not perfect, but if you squint at it, it can work. I don't see Charisma as being an auto-fit either though.

As for what I would play...

A Tharashk Half-Orc Ranger.
A Deneith Fighter.
A Warforged Cleric of the Forge.
A Longtooth Shifter Barbarian.

Good luck getting me to just pick one...

CharonsHelper
2018-07-26, 10:12 PM
Eh, hobgoblins don't need to be stronger than everyone else to conquer the continent.

Oh - I don't want them to be better - I just want them to fit the Eberron vibe.

Really - +1 DEX & +2 CON might actually fit the best.

And I still don't know what they were thinking with Saving Face. It's not a BAD ability - it's just very awkward.

Mikal
2018-07-26, 10:14 PM
Well with all the new info out about planar and spelljamming travel, I’d probably have to go with a warforged envoy or skirmisher gunslinger having traveled the spheres to different worlds.

Finback
2018-07-26, 10:27 PM
Having played a warforged knight in 4e and loving it, you'd think my first response would be ROBO ROBO ROBO but I just started doodling up a changeling lore bard, who has spent years moving between cultures and societies, plotting out the Big Secrets that connect them all. EVERY weird thing is part of the Big Conspiracy. Alchemy in the water is turning the owlbears into frogs. Dragonfire can't melt adamantium beams. A gnoll shot King Grassy.

However, if our fun little CoS game sees my paladin die, I've been working on the idea of a warforged cleric of the Cogs (using the Clockwork Magic third party stuff), and that could be a lot of fun. I already have his name (which won't render well, but in simple text, it's sum_(i=1)^n i^3=((n(n+1))/2)^2 ).

Finback
2018-07-26, 10:29 PM

https://i.imgur.com/7lWjDiH.png

Tetrasodium
2018-07-26, 10:39 PM
I want to see the artificer before playing one. Currently I run two games (both set in eberron) & play in a third so don't see myself being able to play anything in the near term, but one or two of my players are thinking of switching from a dwarf cleric to envoy & probably the aasimar warlock to changeling, I'm looking forward to those. By sheer coincidence, they were in a location fighting warforged (quoriforged in past/ancient xendriik to be exact) & I gave the party a docent they didn't know what to think of (all eberron newbies) a couple days before wgte came out :D.

No knowledge of the setting beyond forum tussles so probably would stick with my usual Variantr Standard Human or Mt. Dwarf Fighter, Ranger, or combat Cleric. Maybe Wizard.

there are a bunch of new human archtypes that are very nice in unique ways, I suggest that you give them a try. I gave
the human options a quick summary in the variant human/asi thread the other day (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=23249837&postcount=108)

leogobsin
2018-07-26, 11:29 PM
I've got an idea for an envoy warforged bard who does bardic magic not so much through music but just very particular arrangements of sound (I'm thinking like all his verbal components basically sound like a dialup modem).

Tetrasodium
2018-07-27, 12:46 AM
I've got an idea for an envoy warforged bard who does bardic magic not so much through music but just very particular arrangements of sound (I'm thinking like all his verbal components basically sound like a dialup modem).

You know they are living creatures that seem to maybe have a soul & all not robots right?

Quoxis
2018-07-27, 06:19 AM
Wikilik, the envoy warforged created to analyze and memorize combat tactics who was discarded when he decided that ALL information is precious and should be collected and shared with the masses, and especially enthusiastic whenever the construction process and the unsolved questions about his race are involved.

Knowledge cleric 2/mastermind or scout rogue X (maybe a splash of battlemaster, we‘ll see), sage background, built-in cartographer‘s tools, tons of skills and expertises regarding knowledge skills...

Arkhios
2018-07-27, 06:27 AM
Disclaimer: No, this is *not* because how the weapon or Revenant Blade works!

I would make a Valenar (Wood) Elf with double-bladed scimitar as I've always had in every version of Eberron (from 3.5 to 4th edition).

However, the class choice is not as simple to me. I would prefer a warrior-type class, but I can't decide which one appeals to me most:

Fighter, Cavalier with Mounted Combatant and Revenant Blade.
Paladin, Oath of Vengeance with Mounted Combatant and Revenant Blade.
Ranger, Horizon Walker with Revenant Blade.
or
Warlord (from my Signature), Tactician with Revenant Blade.

Foxman778
2018-07-27, 10:14 AM
Changeling Hexblade Bladelock who carries the blade of his ancestors while defending his caravan, honoring the Traveler.

Foff
2018-07-27, 10:47 AM
I'm probably gonna be the guy pissing everybody off bringing a warforged envoy coffeelock to the table

pdegan2814
2018-07-27, 11:54 AM
Wildhunt Shifter looks like an outstanding choice for a Ranger build. Advantage and Expertise on Perception & Survival checks to track a marked target while shifted? You'd be Prince Humperdinking like a champ :)

The Envoy Warforged with that Darkwood Core AC looks like a fantastic build for a squishy caster like a Wizard, Sorcerer or Warlock. Though I suppose with a Sorcerer you'd have to re-skin the Sorcerous origin to have something to do with their construction rather than their bloodline, but that's doable. I could easily see how some freaky lightning could make one into a Storm Sorcerer. Or maybe their creator used a piece from a Blue Dragon or Behir when building them. I have a feeling the Warforged Integrated Protection feature is going to get toned down though. Automatic AC of 20 or more by Level 13 without a shield is pretty big for a racial feature.

Derpldorf
2018-07-27, 12:16 PM
A warforged envoy Inquisitive Rogue with built in thieves tools named Tripwire. Spends most of Its time either disarming and collecting traps or creating and arming Its own traps, it is literally impossible to make It stop. It is a very bad idea to wander around anywhere it spends Its time.

Alternatively, meet Flapjack the Iron Chef. A warforged envoy with built in chefs tools and the Gourmand feat. Unfortunately, he's a bit... loose on the concept of 'food' and 'edibility'. Makes a surprisingly tasty mindflayer calamari.

aimlessPolymath
2018-07-27, 12:32 PM
Warforged Monk of the Four Elements (slightly homebrewed if I can).

Somewhere in the intersection between Gundam and Mega Man.

Gydian
2018-07-27, 01:26 PM
Besides playing a Warforged that has attached bristles to the end of a quarterstaff and gets into enemy strong holds by impersonating cleaning staff.

I also am playing a warforged abjuration wizard with first level in forge cleric. I call him Bookmaker, the book maker.
Guild artisan background, Coligraphers tools (now built in) smiths tools. A melee wizard that hits things with a hammer. I’m hesitant to recalculate his AC just yet.