PDA

View Full Version : I want to get into D&D

Nimm
2018-07-26, 05:44 AM
Um hi, I'm really interested in getting into online d&d and I've never played d&d in my life, I'm not really sure what to do and I don't know the procedures of the game. tbh if anyone helps me it would be great but, I just want to learn how to play and what to do, cuz it seems like fun.

CharonsHelper
2018-07-26, 06:42 AM
Have you considered joining an Adventurer's League at a local game store. They're totally free. You can check WoTC's website, or just try calling local game stores to ask if they run it.

Basically it's run by people who are just doing it for fun - and generally if you show up you can game. Just ask the next time they're running a Tier 1 (low level) game and show up a bit early.

Lalliman
2018-07-26, 11:47 AM
D&D 5th edition is currently the most common edition, and the easiest one to learn. The basic edition of the rules can be downloaded here (http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules). You don't need to read it all to be able to play, but it's good to orient yourself on how to make a character and how to make rolls. If you like the game, you can consider buying the full rules.

If you want to play online, there are two options. You can do play by post, where people post their actions in a forum thread. These are very slow-paced, but the benefit is that you don't have to make time to play for hours on end. This very site has a page (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?51-Finding-Players-(Recruitment)) for finding play by post games. The other option is to play in real time, usually with voice chat and with with some kind of program that simulates the map and character tokens. We don't have those here, but you can just google something like "find online D&D 5e games" to find sites for it. Maybe some others here can link you to specific sites.

That said, playing in person can be a lot more fluid and therefor more fun. If you don't have people to play with, try googling if there are any Adventurer's League or other D&D events nearby (As CharonsHelper said). Learning the game will be easiest if you have a real life person to explain it to you.

MagneticKitty
2018-07-27, 03:08 PM
See if you can find a group about to do a one shot with prefab characters. Take a fighter, barb, or rogue first ever one shot.

After you learn mechanics sit down and build a character with an online friend via voice chat. I think this would be ideal.

Try youtube, there are character building videos where you can watch the process from the start

SirGraystone
2018-07-27, 04:43 PM
The other option is to play in real time, usually with voice chat and with with some kind of program that simulates the map and character tokens. We don't have those here, but you can just google something like "find online D&D 5e games" to find sites for it. Maybe some others here can link you to specific sites.

The most used programs to play in real time online are Fantasy Grounds and Roll20. Each has it pro and con. FG has a looking for group part of their forum.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?40-LFG-Looking-for-Group

Coretex
2018-07-27, 07:06 PM
I recommend Roll20.

They have a feature where you can search among the games at a time slot that suits you for a group that is tagged with "welcomes new players". I started my first game there 2 years ago and I have enjoyed it thoroughly.
People are generally very accepting of inexperience. If you read the Players Hand Book so that you know the rules and have a general idea of how to do basic things; people will happily teach you the context, procedures, and just how stuff works.

I hope you find a good group straight away, but if you don't... Dont be afraid to leave. Find a group of people who you enjoy playing with and where you all want the same thing from the game. If you have that, they will be just as happy to have found you as you them.

Copper_Dragon
2018-07-28, 03:06 AM
It also might be worth taking the time to watch an episode of Critical Role (or some other online web series). It's unlikely to help much with character creation, but you can get a feel for how the game is played.

Best of luck, and welcome to the game!

Psyren
2018-07-28, 12:55 PM
Wasn't there a very basic D&D 3.5 online demo once that let you play through an elementary combat encounter?

I think it was here: https://www.wizards.com/playdnd/playdnd.asp