PDA

View Full Version : Speed factor initiative

NaughtyTiger
2018-07-26, 08:05 AM
So,
I convinced my table to try the Speed Factor initiative rules from DMG 270

Basically, instead of rolling D20+mod...
at the beginning of every round of combat, the players declare what they plan to do and that determines their initiative.

things like:
light/finesse attack +2
maul attack -2

cantrip +0
5th level spell -5

bigger things move slower...

players can change their minds, but only to something easier... ie the cleric kept trying to cast a 4th level spell (-4), but had to cast healing word each time instead.

results
1st time was a success, needs refinement, but they want to try it again.

since everyone knows what they are going to do at the top of the round, they were really fast during the round. Never had to impose the 30 seconds or you dodge.
they liked that the order changed a little each round (rogue was first... monster and monk vied for second/third) (tanks and monsters vied for last)
they liked how their plans were interrupted by changing conditions
the slow druid switched to smaller/faster creature to change her initiative a lot (lower damage snake instead of brute force dino)

start of the round was a little slower, but most folks got into a routine. casters were the biggest variable.
and the order determination didn't take as long... usually it was just, i go faster than the monster this round, or i am casting a big spell, put me at the end.

it may change the spell selection a little. druid mentioned that she would consider Enhance Ability since it would affect her init in the middle of a combat.