PDA

View Full Version : The "new easy to master" D&D

Randalor
2007-09-11, 07:58 PM
I recently stumbled upon a set of the old-school *yet not as old-school as AD&D... even though it's based on the original D&D... gah* board games, and was wondering if it would be wrong for me to subject my group to the set. I just wanted to know people's overall opinions *either of the 4 games, or of my wanting to actually subject people to them*. I found D&D, The Dragon's Den, and The Goblin's Lair, for those who want to know *I know there's a third expansion, but I didn't find it, sadly*

Matthew
2007-09-11, 08:10 PM
I think you're talking about Classic Dungeons & Dragons and the introductory Adventures Dragon's Den (http://home.flash.net/~brenfrow/dd/dd-dragonden.htm) and Goblin's Lair; Haunted Tower is the third in the series. Nothing wrong with wanting to give these a go. No idea how your group will respond, but you could always point them towards the free downloadable Basic Dungeons & Dragons retroclone Labyrinth Lord (http://www.goblinoidgames.com/labyrinthlord.htm), produced by Goblinoid Games, as an introduction.

2007-09-11, 08:11 PM
I recently stumbled upon a set of the old-school *yet not as old-school as AD&D... even though it's based on the original D&D... gah* board games, and was wondering if it would be wrong for me to subject my group to the set. I just wanted to know people's overall opinions *either of the 4 games, or of my wanting to actually subject people to them*. I found D&D, The Dragon's Den, and The Goblin's Lair, for those who want to know *I know there's a third expansion, but I didn't find it, sadly*

Holy crap. The Goblin's Lair was the first real D&D game I ever played.

I still have some of the stuff from it.

Randalor
2007-09-11, 08:37 PM
I think you're talking about Classic Dungeons & Dragons and the introductory Adventures Dragon's Den (http://home.flash.net/~brenfrow/dd/dd-dragonden.htm) and Goblin's Lair; Haunted Tower is the third in the series. Nothing wrong with wanting to give these a go. No idea how your group will respond, but you could always point them towards the free downloadable Basic Dungeons & Dragons retroclone Labyrinth Lord (http://www.goblinoidgames.com/labyrinthlord.htm), produced by Goblinoid Games, as an introduction.

The main game is actually called "The new easy to master Dungeons and Dragons" with The Dragon's Den, Goblin's Lair and Haunted Tower being expansion packs for it *Though I imagine that you don't need the "Base set" to run the others, they look like complete modules themselves*. I flipped through the mini-rulebook that came with the first game... I will admit, it's rather unsettling seeing some of thoses old rules after being used to 3.X for so long now.

Matthew
2007-09-12, 06:23 AM
Yeah, but the game is actually just Basic Dungeons & Dragons, being also known as Classic Dungeons & Dragons. It was just revised, repackaged and marketed as 'easy to master'.

TimeWizard
2007-09-12, 09:17 AM
Does anyone remember Hero Quest? Because I do.

Randalor
2007-09-12, 10:20 AM
Yeah, but the game is actually just Basic Dungeons & Dragons, being also known as Classic Dungeons & Dragons. It was just revised, repackaged and marketed as 'easy to master'.

Oh it is? Alrighty. That just means it'll be easier to find modules to run with them after the 7 I have are done.

Matthew
2007-09-12, 10:49 AM
Yep. The main difference is that they provided a board to play on and some card board tokens. It was closely followed (less than a year later) by Dragon Quest as an introduction to D&D. Apparently, the new 'easy to master' Dungeons & Dragons wasn't easy enough (I like Dragon Quest a lot, by the way).

Charity
2007-09-12, 10:52 AM
Oh it is? Alrighty. That just means it'll be easier to find modules to run with them after the 7 I have are done.

The keep on the boarderlands looms over you like the rotton tooth of an ancient collosal dinosaur...
Ooo I've come over all poetical

hamlet
2007-09-12, 11:47 AM
The keep on the boarderlands looms over you like the rotton tooth of an ancient collosal dinosaur...
Ooo I've come over all poetical

Best. Module. Ever.*

*barring, of coursek the L series by Lakofka.