PDA

View Full Version : Disguising body parts

RAGE KING!
2007-09-11, 07:59 PM
I'm making an elan character with the inhuman reach feat. I didn't want my party to know that i am an elan, so i wanted to make a disguise check. It occured to me that if they were smart enough, they would wonder why i had really long arms, and possibly recognize me as an abberation. What DC would hiding really long arms be? What if you had a tail? I'm thinking an easier DC for stuff like tails (which are easy to hide) a medium one for stuff like long arms (fold them into shirt or something?--> but then to use them you would have to unfold them, then fold them again...so you're arms would become longer as you attack --> and that would be a seperate, difficult check) a hard DC for stuff like
claws, and a really hard DC for stuff like a dragon's tail/claws/head.

Dhavaer
2007-09-11, 08:01 PM
I haven't read Lords of Madness for a while, but don't you need to be humanoid to take Inhuman Reach?

Kenbert
2007-09-11, 08:09 PM
Dude ... what are you trying to do? Elan with really long arms but not overtly Elan ... or something?

So your character is actually Elan ... and you're trying to hide this in a metagame fashion through the use of in-game skill checks? Or did I miss something?

RAGE KING!
2007-09-11, 09:24 PM
you need to have abberation blood to take it, thats all.

I want to play a race called elan. THERE IS A RACE KNOWNS AS ELANS! I know, awesome huh?

also, can a level 4 psychic warrior take weapon specialization?

UglyPanda
2007-09-11, 09:51 PM
The aberration blood feat needed to use inhuman reach requires you to be a humanoid. Elans are aberrations and not humanoid. This means they can't take the aberration blood feat.

Hiding the fact that you're an elan is trivial as they're just humans with different brains. Their physical description in the XPH says that some of them pass themselves off as human. Making your arms look shorter is a different matter entirely.

Starsinger
2007-09-11, 10:10 PM
So you wanna pass off as human? Be lecherous, I mean look at all the half-human half-something elses out there. Centaurs (half horse), harpies (half birds), yuan-ti (half snake), half-orc (half-orc), half-ogre, half-elf, aasimar (technically not half), tiefling (also not technically half) warforged (half-toaster). :smallwink:

Joking aside, just... act normal. The best way to hide something is in plain sight, afterall.

Kenbert
2007-09-11, 10:16 PM
I want to play a race called elan. THERE IS A RACE KNOWNS AS ELANS! I know, awesome huh?

Ohhhhhhhhhh ... excuse the n00biness. A race called "elan" ... now I understand. :elan: <-- Not this Elan.

Dhavaer
2007-09-11, 10:18 PM
Ohhhhhhhhhh ... excuse the n00biness. A race called "elan" ... now I understand. :elan: <-- Not this Elan.

Yes. Elans (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicRaces.htm#elans).

Logic
2007-09-11, 11:40 PM
also, can a level 4 psychic warrior take weapon specialization?
No. However at level 6, he can.

I also house rule that a lvl 2 Fighter/lvl 3 Psychic warrior can take the feat, as he is halfway there in both classes.

Kenbert
2007-09-11, 11:43 PM
I try to avoid psionics ... that's why I didn't get it. Well, and because this is GitP.

lesserarchangel
2007-09-12, 12:17 AM
It seems to me that biggest problem for an elan to pass as human is likely to be watching his/her tongue and keeping a very low profile. Aren't they even older than elves?

Irreverent Fool
2007-09-12, 05:17 AM
I'm making an elan character with the inhuman reach feat. I didn't want my party to know that i am an elan, so i wanted to make a disguise check. It occured to me that if they were smart enough, they would wonder why i had really long arms, and possibly recognize me as an abberation. What DC would hiding really long arms be? What if you had a tail? I'm thinking an easier DC for stuff like tails (which are easy to hide) a medium one for stuff like long arms (fold them into shirt or something?--> but then to use them you would have to unfold them, then fold them again...so you're arms would become longer as you attack --> and that would be a seperate, difficult check) a hard DC for stuff like
claws, and a really hard DC for stuff like a dragon's tail/claws/head.

I highly doubt there's be any way to hide the fact that you can stretch your arms out if you use it in combat. I mean, they're going to see it. Now if you go with the 'snakelike/stretchy' description it's not a problem to hide them outside of combat as unless you're actively making them longer they can appear as normal arms. As for the 'folding' bit, if you have joints I don't really see how this is feasible.

Tell the party you're a wizard or that your ring does it if your character wishes to hide it for some reason.

Glyphic
2007-09-12, 05:21 AM
As for Elans, I've got no ideas.. But I'd love tricks to help a Kenku hide her beak. It might just prove useful.

Citizen Joe
2007-09-12, 05:27 AM
You could paint your beak and face to make it look like a metallic helmet.

Zim
2007-09-12, 09:39 AM
Hat of Disguise. Change self. Baggy clothes/robes. Ranks in the diguise skill. That's all I can think of.

My kobold artificer diguises himself as a gnome vagrant all the time (beard, hat, ratty coat, disguise kit). Don't ask me how it works in game, he just makes his disguise check and rolls with it. Part of the deception is the smell; people don't want to get too close to inspect his disguise very often. :smalltongue:

RMS Oceanic
2007-09-12, 09:42 AM
No. However at level 6, he can.

You are confusing the Psychic Warrior with the Warblade, who always has an effective Fighter Level of Fighter + [Warblade Level-2] when qualifying for feats. PWs cannot take any feat that require fighter levels, unless they have those levels.