PDA

View Full Version : Ridiculous or neat ways you all have killed something? (in game!)

MarkVIIIMarc
2018-07-26, 09:44 AM
I used Vicious Mockery to kill a bad guy in the last game. Our Monk had done a ridiculous amount of damage and the DM chuckled something along the lines of "wow that hurt but you somehow did not kill it". To me that was a sign this previously bloodied creature was near death. Between insulting something to death being ridiculous and my Bard being well known for arrow hoarding Vicious Mockery was a must!

Maybe not our most impressive kill ever but the first for Vicious Mockery......now if only I could find some commoners to insult to death.....oooh! Or a restrained high Hit Point bad guy! Imagine the interrogation effects of VM! A dozen rounds of insults to death!

What are your favorite non typical kills?

nickl_2000
2018-07-26, 10:16 AM
Maybe more cruel, but casting tasha's hideous laughter on a person who was swimming through a bay trying to escape. He failed the save, went prone and laughed while he disappeared under water.

Avonar
2018-07-26, 10:39 AM
Best I've seen was the bard downing a potion of giant strength and then suplexing a hag off a cliff.

Another was a Barbarian performing a 40ft elbow drop off a tree.

ShadowSandbag
2018-07-26, 10:47 AM
One time my party was fighting an enormous golem who's core was a good 50feet up in the air. So our dragonborn Eldritch Knight cast Spider climb on himself and took myself (halfling paladin) on his back. He climbed up the golem while it kept trying to smash us, I smighted the core as hard as I could, smashed it to pieces and then fell unconscious when I hit the ground after falling off the dragonborn. It was real cool and led to the joke of having the dragonborn get a baby bjorn to hold me in.

sithlordnergal
2018-07-26, 11:04 AM
Best ways I have killed things:

1) Killed a chimera by dropping stuff on it, such as Javelins and rocks. We were playing Storm King's Thunder, and the party had to climb down this cliff using a single rope. The party accidentally woke up a Chimera before everyone had gotten down, so the chimera destroyed the rope. As a result I was trapped up on the top of a cliff while the cleric ended up taking enough fall damage to knock him out instantly. So I did the only thing I could, I waited for it to be lured into reach of me, and dropped stuff on it to do damage. I ended up dealing the final blow by dropping a decent sized rock on its head.

2) I was playing some adventure where we had to deal with some chaotic magic. At the time I was playing a Bard, and we were being pounded by giant talking apes. So, I did the only logical thing I could think of...I turned a giant ape into a quipper to let it suffocate.

Unfortunately I didn't think about the fact that it was in a tree. So the fish fell, and took just enough fall damage to knock the ape out of fish form and kill it

GlenSmash!
2018-07-26, 11:42 AM
My barbarian killed a zombie by grappling it and throwing it into a Flame Skull.

DM ruled they both took a little damage, but it was enough to put the zombie over the edge.

manyslayer
2018-07-26, 11:47 AM
Maybe more cruel, but casting tasha's hideous laughter on a person who was swimming through a bay trying to escape. He failed the save, went prone and laughed while he disappeared under water.

In 2nd edition I cast suggestion (back when you could use any one word for the suggestion) on the heavily armored warrior that came up from below decks to repel our boarding party on the pirate ship. "swim"

Mandarblade
2018-07-26, 11:54 AM
I have two from fighting Rocs (The gargantuan birds)

1) We saw a Roc flying towards our airship so my monk snorted some pixie dust (Storm King's Thunder) to gain a fly speed. Instead of waiting for the Roc I flew towards it with a magic pebble we had found earlier in the adventure. When it got close enough I flew on top of it and activated the pebble to turn it back into a boulder and smashed the Roc to the ground.

2) In a recent ToA Tier 3 module we were on a ship and attacked by a pair of Rocs. We got them pretty low and since two of use were currently grappled the DM had them try to fly off with us. My character was a crossbow expert sharpshooter fighter so on my turn I proceeded to shoot the one grappling me in the groin doing just enough to kill it. The DM offered to let me use the rest of my action to maneuver around the Roc to lessen the fall damage from 120 feet, but I said screw that, twisted around, and shot my next two bolts at the other Roc carrying our Cleric finishing it off as well and falling, taking 12D6 fall damage and laughing the whole time.

Beelzebubba
2018-07-26, 12:30 PM
Back in AD&D era, before spells were nerfed...

We angered a Fire giant enough to chase us in a cave system.
We led him to a crevasse that was 10' wide at the top, but narrowed in a way that if you fell in, you'd get wedged tight.
The Wizard cast Reduce.
The Barbarian pushed him into the crevice.
The Cleric cast Dispel Magic.

It was like squeezing a toothpaste tube full of vegetable soup.

DarkKnightJin
2018-07-26, 06:13 PM
My Dragonborn Death Cleric once killed both halves of a split 'shadow slime' in a single turn. The whole party had been doing work on it, with a lucky crit from the NPC ranger splitting the thing in two.
Some more damage happens, and my Cleric has a Spiritual Weapon out.
So, for his action, he casts Sacred Flame. Manages to do just enough damage with the beast's vulnerability to Radiant damage to kill that half of it.
Then he attacks with his Spiritual Weapon.. And somehow gets the killing blow with THAT, too.

So, the first half was impaled by countless arrows of light, with the radiance burning it away..
And the spectral scythe thay was my SW did the Dante's Inferno shift, speared the thing, then reset to the perpendicular blade.. and opened the other half up like one of those Japanese omu-rice things.
Except creepy black goop instead of tasty omelette.