PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Types of incense & similar

Luckmann
2018-07-26, 10:54 AM
My character, a cloistered cleric and divine oracle, is going to be holding a - for lack of a better word - séance next session, casting Scrying, Augur, Clairvoyance and Commune, with the party present. Now, there's some material components necessary, such as incense worth at least 25gp, another just saying "incense", etc., and more.

Either way, it got me thinking. What kinds of incense and similar are there? It doesn't have to be strictly incense, it could also be candles, or inhaled drugs. Basically anything you could imagine being burnt in the tent of a shaman or oracle or whatever. At a cursory search, I couldn't find any list of such items, and only mentions or references to a few of the big ones, such as Candles of Invocation, Incense of Consecration, and Incense of Meditation/Obsession. Bonus points if it has a lasting effect on anyone that sits in it for a while without being insanely expensive.

Let's fill my tent with smoke.

BowStreetRunner
2018-07-26, 11:20 AM
While none of these are exactly incense, Book of Exalted Deeds has a list of Optional Material Components that can be added to the casting of spells. Adding Couatl Feather gives a 35% chance to increase the effective caster level of a spell by +2. Adding Couatl Scale to the Scrying spell would have a 30% chance to increase the save DC by +1, or Lillend Scale would have a 40% chance to accomplish the same thing. Adding Phoenix Feather gives a 10% chance that the spell remains prepared even after being cast. Adding Unicorn Tail Hair gives a 20% chance to double the duration of the spell. You could for flavor purposes just add these to the burning incense.

Mike Miller
2018-07-26, 12:15 PM
I feel like I've seen something like that in dragon mag. Check the dragon dex. I am at work, otherwise I would investigate further

Luckmann
2018-07-26, 01:40 PM
While none of these are exactly incense, Book of Exalted Deeds has a list of Optional Material Components that can be added to the casting of spells. Adding Couatl Feather gives a 35% chance to increase the effective caster level of a spell by +2. Adding Couatl Scale to the Scrying spell would have a 30% chance to increase the save DC by +1, or Lillend Scale would have a 40% chance to accomplish the same thing. Adding Phoenix Feather gives a 10% chance that the spell remains prepared even after being cast. Adding Unicorn Tail Hair gives a 20% chance to double the duration of the spell. You could for flavor purposes just add these to the burning incense.
Sadly, the stuff in BoED is only applicable to [Good] spells, and it inspired me to check out BoVD, which had a corresponding number of evil components.. for evil spells. Thanks a lot for bringing it to my attention, though, since I *do* have a bunch of [Good] spells.

BowStreetRunner
2018-07-26, 01:47 PM
Sadly, the stuff in BoED is only applicable to [Good] spells, and it inspired me to check out BoVD, which had a corresponding number of evil components.. for evil spells. Thanks a lot for bringing it to my attention, though, since I *do* have a bunch of [Good] spells.My apologies for the confusion. I knew there was a book out there with a list of optional material components and that was the first book I found that had them in it. However, I should have looked closer and I would have noted the Good descriptor requirement.

I believe the original list I was looking for is actually in Complete Mage.

EDIT: Complete Mage pp 135-136. Devil's Eye increases spell level of Divinations by +1.

Zaq
2018-07-26, 03:06 PM
Pretty sure there’s at least a couple alchemical(?) candles in A&EG that do things like keep away non-monstrous vermin or improve your ability to focus on skills that require deep concentration. AFB or I’d check the specifics.

Thurbane
2018-07-26, 03:07 PM
Incense (Atonement, Commune, Glyph of Warding, Hypnotic Pattern, Reanimation, Weather Eye) 0gp
Incense (Augury, Divination) 25gp
Incense of Obsession 200gp
Incense (Legend Lore, Stalwart Pact) 250gp
Incense of Concentration 250gp
Incense (Unhallow) (up to) 1,000gp
Incense of Meditation 4,900gp
Incense of the Gorgon 6,600gp