PDA

View Full Version : Total Defense

Cowboy_ninja
2007-09-11, 08:03 PM
1) total defense as described in the PHB, does it count as "doing nothing" for purposes of things like the assassin's death attack (DMG) , and the hawks eyes manuver from the raptor school feat (complete warrior)?

2)also im pretty sure sheild bonuses do not stack, however does that still hold true when you have the two weapon defense feat and a buckler?

3)one more thing: when you are using total defense action as described in the PHB you cant make aops, but if you have the defenseive throw feat from the complete warrior do you still get that free trip if they miss? it's a trip as a free action not an aop, but it does count against your limit of aops. yay or nay?

4)further more if you get that free trip and succeed can you make an attack since improved trip is a pre-requisite?

de-trick
2007-09-11, 08:05 PM
no total defense unless im mistaking +4 ac -2 attack

Cowboy_ninja
2007-09-11, 08:08 PM
no total defense unless im mistaking +4 ac -2 attack

not fighting defensively, total defense.

also just to be clear... no what?

also you need to flip them. firghting defensively is a -4 attack and +2 Dodge bonus to AC.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-09-11, 08:09 PM
Total Defense is a standard action, and it is very much doing something—namely working like all get-out to catch and parry every incoming blow in combat.

If a particular action counts against your attacks of opportunity for the round, I would assume you cannot take that action if denied the ability to make attacks of opportunity.

Jasdoif
2007-09-11, 08:15 PM
also im pretty sure sheild bonuses do not stack, however does that still hold true when you have the two weapon defense feat and a buckler?Neither of them state an exception to the stacking rule, so they don't stack.

Seatbelt
2007-09-11, 08:18 PM
I was under the assumption that you had to make a melee attack while taking a defensive action. Otherwise Wizards would always be "fighting defensively"

Cowboy_ninja
2007-09-11, 08:22 PM
I was under the assumption that you had to make a melee attack while taking a defensive action. Otherwise Wizards would always be "fighting defensively"

again their is a difference between total defense and fighting defensively. i have no questions about fighting defensively. my questions involve the standard action of total defense. its all in the PHB.

also your assumption is correct to my knowledge :smallsmile:

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-09-11, 08:23 PM
We're talking total defense (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/actionsInCombat.html#total-defense), which is a totally different beast from fighting defensively (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/actionsInCombat.html#fighting-defensively-as-a-standard-action).

Aximili
2007-09-11, 08:34 PM
2)also im pretty sure sheild bonuses do not stack, however does that still hold true when you have the two weapon defense feat and a buckler?

3)one more thing: when you are using total defense action as described in the PHB you cant make aops, but if you have the defenseive throw feat from the complete warrior do you still get that free trip if they miss? it's a trip as a free action not an aop, but it does count against your limit of aops. yay or nay?

4)further more if you get that free trip and succeed can you make an attack since improved trip is a pre-requisite?
2)yes, it would.
3)If it is worded as you've written, I'd say yes per RAW. Though I'd rule no.
4)Yes.

Cowboy_ninja
2007-09-12, 07:44 PM
2)yes, it would.
3)If it is worded as you've written, I'd say yes per RAW. Though I'd rule no.
4)Yes.

cool thanks