PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed [3.5] How would you build 2 characters that can handle most any situation?

lylsyly
2018-07-26, 01:49 PM
What is says in the title folks. if you had to put together 2 PCs capable of handling ANY situation in game how would you do it?

Basically a theoretical exercise. No gestalt please.

Bad Wolf
2018-07-26, 01:55 PM
Probably make a couple conjurers specialized around Planar Binding. Dont have the skills you need? Summon the Outsider that does.

BowStreetRunner
2018-07-26, 02:01 PM
Well, since magic can handle almost any situation, the first thing I would address is what can't magic handle. I figure even an Archivist with access to every spell in the game (assuming the DM is okay with all of the arcane to divine tricks out there) would still need to deal with things like Antimagic Fields and Dead Magic zones. At which point martial combat and skill use without magic both become important. So I'm looking for a couple PCs who can handle combat, skill-monkey, and do Tier 1 casting between the two of them...

I'm thinking Archivist for one and Factotum/Chameleon for the other.

lylsyly
2018-07-26, 02:17 PM
One of these years I am going to have to read up on Archivists, "Time, time, ask me for anything but time." or whatever the quote was ​;D

BowStreetRunner
2018-07-26, 02:20 PM
One of these years I am going to have to read up on Archivists, "Time, time, ask me for anything but time." or whatever the quote was ​;D
Archivist Class (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?page=3&x=dnd%2Fex%2F20051007a)
Archivist Class Spell Access (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?553948-Archivist-Class-Spell-Access)

Thurbane
2018-07-26, 02:52 PM
1. Archivist
2. Spell-to-power Erudite

...but honestly, pretty much any two Tier 1 casters should do (Wizard + Cleric, Wizard + Druid etc.).

flappeercraft
2018-07-26, 03:18 PM
Either a Tier 1 character or just Pun Pun since it's TO

Goaty14
2018-07-26, 03:21 PM
1. Archivist
2. Spell-to-power Erudite

1. Artificer
2. Psionic Artificer

...also does the same thing, only different.

Kelb_Panthera
2018-07-26, 03:54 PM
Ruby Knight Vindicator and Soulcaster from ToB and MoI respectively. That or just a couple of chameleons from RoD.

lylsyly
2018-07-26, 05:19 PM
would still need to deal with things like Antimagic Fields and Dead Magic zones. At which point martial combat and skill use without magic both become important. So I'm looking for a couple PCs who can handle combat, skill-monkey, and do Tier 1 casting between the two of them...

This, which pretty much invalidates any answer that just says "two tier 1s"

Either a Tier 1 character or just Pun Pun since it's TO

"Basically a theoretical exercise. No gestalt please."

Ruby Knight Vindicator and Soulcaster from ToB and MoI respectively. That or just a couple of chameleons from RoD.

A cleric on steroids and A wizard on steroids, Yep, this qualifies

heavyfuel
2018-07-26, 05:38 PM
Druid is one for sure. Major utility, massive BfC, and a pet that's basically a Fighter

For the second I'd want a skillmonkey. Either a Scout/Ranger Swifthunter for ranged support and scouting, or a straight up Rogue with the pet as flaking buddy.

Cosi
2018-07-26, 06:17 PM
The Wish and the Word (https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/The_Wish_and_the_Word_(3.5e_Optimized_Character_Bu ild)) were created to answer exactly this question. The Word is able to kill anything in the game with a single action, and the Wish has on-demand access to every spell in the game.

At a lower level of optimization, I would probably start by asking not "how can you handle everything", but "what things will shut you out if you don't have an answer". The random spells off obscure lists you can get as an Artificer or Erudite is honestly not as important as covering basics like healing magic.

ManicOppressive
2018-07-26, 06:46 PM
A Druid/Planar Shepherd and a Gish build would be my preference. Duskblade>Warrior Skald/Prestige Bard/However else you can convince your DM to give you Bardic music>Sublime Chord allows for a 19 BAB/9th level caster gish. Hey Sports fans! A potentially valid reading of the 3.0 class Spellsinger from Something of Faerun can get you Bardic Music on a +1 casting body, which actually gives you a level where you can freely miss casting before 10. If you can find a way to put haste on your list [extra spell is a whole nother parenthetical, but there's also Arcane Disciple: Celerity which is arguably better anyway, or you can just beg your DM to put Haste on the Duskblade list like it should've been from the start] you can use this to produce a really great build with Swiftblade 3. Take the first level before Sublime Chord and the next two afterward.

If you're boring but probably more practical go for some sort of gishy Wizard or a classic Paladin 2/Sorc. Basically as long as you wind up with Abjurant Champion, 9ths, and BAB of at least 15 you're fine.

Then give them both leadership. The Druid's cohort is an Archivist, the Gish's cohort is an Artificer. The Archivist focuses on buffing and summoning, the Artificer focuses on making shiny things for everyone else. Either or both can be set up with long range damage from bows or wands for back-up. The Druid's animal companion runs primary melee with the Gish playing DPS and secondary melee. The Druid can also melee because it's a Druid and the only thing it can't do is see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch. You have 4 full casters and an archivist being fed off of between one and literally all of the lists depending on how naive your DM is.

Congratulations, you now have a party of five roles that can do everything better than everyone else, entirely contained on two character sheets, and you've discovered the glorious game balance of 3.5.

Menzath
2018-07-26, 11:56 PM
I would probably do a druid/planar Shepard for my first pick as well, cause mostly invincible lolz.
And my second pick would be either a hordeificer artificer(maybe throw on effigy master for lolz), or maybe a minionmancer of some sort, like dread Necro/favored soul/true necromancer.

DMVerdandi
2018-07-27, 12:43 AM
Seconding STP erudite and Archivist, especially if archivist goes the way of obtaining turn undead.

Access to nearly every spell is potent. The best thing about both is it takes but a day to completely change their loadouts.

Archivist can very easily be switched out with cleric, and in many ways cleric is better.
In fact,yes cleric instead, since it can more easily take on the physical roles needed.

Throwing on the otherworldly feat for both gives access to armor and weapon proficiencies.

Eldariel
2018-07-27, 01:41 AM
Tier 1s are more than able to deal with Dead Magic Zones and Antimagic Fields by just using Planar Binding, Simulacrum/Ice Assassin, Animate Dead, etc. and using those as proxies. Antimagic Field hurts mundanes more than those monsters since mundane rely on magic items to match their stats; monsters are awesome by nature so you just send a bunch in and profit. No real reason to go in yourself unless you're an Initiate of Mystra and can cast there. But why two characters?

Cloistered Initiate of Mystra Dweomerkeeper is more than able to anything by themself, martially or magically. Sure, you get more options by giving them a tier 1 companion but it's not really needed.

ezekielraiden
2018-07-27, 04:57 AM
Druid progressing to Planar Shepherd is a shoe-in. May not be required, but it's damned awesome. Wildshape might be suspended by AMF, but your bear isn't. Throw in worshipping Mielikki, so you can wear metal armor.

From there...is there any equivalent to a Mystic Theurge, but which has arcane spells on one side and psionics on the other? I imagine with classic early-entry techniques, such a thing would be an excellent option if you want a two-person, do-anything party.

Sleven
2018-07-27, 07:06 AM
Since StP is on the table, I would probably just play a Psion (Telepath). That way I get all spells as powers as well, with none of the limitations. Psions can ignore AMF and Dead Magic if built properly, so that’s not an issue either.

If I’m not allowed that level of shenanigans, then I’d go with a Phaerimm sorcerer who studied under the coutl (or rakshasa) and worships Mystra. ;)

Maybe a bard companion to serve as a cheerleader... or sidekick ala Dr. Watson. But the second party member wouldn’t be necessary.

From there...is there any equivalent to a Mystic Theurge, but which has arcane spells on one side and psionics on the other? I imagine with classic early-entry techniques, such a thing would be an excellent option if you want a two-person, do-anything party.

Yea. There’s Cerebremancer and Mind Mage, and if you’re cheesy enough you can do double 9ths in multiple ways.

ezekielraiden
2018-07-27, 07:59 AM
Since StP is on the table, I would probably just play a Psion (Telepath). That way I get all spells as powers as well, with none of the limitations. Psions can ignore AMF and Dead Magic if built properly, so that’s not an issue either.

If I’m not allowed that level of shenanigans, then I’d go with a Phaerimm sorcerer who studied under the coutl (or rakshasa) and worships Mystra. ;)

Maybe a bard companion to serve as a cheerleader... or sidekick ala Dr. Watson. But the second party member wouldn’t be necessary.

Yea. There’s Cerebremancer and Mind Mage, and if you’re cheesy enough you can do double 9ths in multiple ways.

Thanks. Totally forgot the "spell to power" thing. Yeah, if I were going for "minimal cheese, but maximum power/situation-solving potential," one Sun Elf Dragonborn of Bahamut StP Erudite and one Buomman Dragonborn of Bahamut Druid/Planar Shepherd. Nearly equivalent to 3 characters with the animal companion, able to deal with just about anything on their own.

Just about the only way you could improve it, as far as I can tell, is if you could add the Cleric spell list to the Druid's options. But that would be a relatively slim gain, methinks.