PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Spells with multiple attacks

Blu
2018-07-26, 02:20 PM
So i'm looking for spells that involve multiple attack rolls so as to proc sneak attack damage, i managed to find some but would like to ask the playground if they know of good spells to use.
Basically any arcane spell from the Sor/Wiz list that involves multiple attacks would be awesome, preferably the attacks were all made simultaneously, but spells that can be used every round can also be used(like Cloud of Knives).
Ray spells would also be good, since the character has both Split Ray and Twin spell.
For sources, any 3.5 official is fair game, dragon mag is out. Thanks in advance.

So far i found:
- Cloud of knives from PHB II
- Scorching ray, from PHB
- Melf's Unicorn Arrow, also PHB II
- Life bolt(against Undead), from Spell Compendium
- Light of Lunia, Spell Compendium
- Prismatic Eye, SC

Edit: For getting multiple SA i will be casting the spell with metamagics so as to change the casting time to a Full-round-action

CharonsHelper
2018-07-26, 02:25 PM
Such spells can only proc SA once each round no matter how many times you hit a target. So - all you're getting is marginally more consistent Sneak Attack (since they're touch attacks - it's mostly moot unless you roll a "1").

Thurbane
2018-07-26, 02:54 PM
Such spells can only proc SA once each round no matter how many times you hit a target. So - all you're getting is marginally more consistent Sneak Attack (since they're touch attacks - it's mostly moot unless you roll a "1").

Yeah, the volley rules on precision damage really limit what you can do with this.

Blu
2018-07-26, 03:00 PM
Yeah, the volley rules on precision damage really limit what you can do with this.

For that i have Metamagic to cast those spells with a Full-round-action.

Zaq
2018-07-26, 03:17 PM
Chill Touch kind of applies. It explicitly lets you make one touch attack per level. It doesn’t spell out the action cost involved. There’s an argument that all of the touches are made immediately as part of the action spent casting, but that’s against my personal interpretation of RAI, though it might or might not be RAW. (There’s not terribly much textual evidence for this, but my interpretation of RAI just based off of what feels right is that you can, at least on subsequent rounds after the initial casting, make the same number of touch attacks as you would regular attacks on a full attack, but I freely admit that this is a gut ruling rather than ironclad RAW.)

Produce Flame is similar.

CharonsHelper
2018-07-26, 04:12 PM

How does that let you apply SA multiple times from one spell?

Troacctid
2018-07-26, 06:41 PM
That doesn't change that you still only deal extra damage on the first attack the spell makes each round.

Chill Touch kind of applies. It explicitly lets you make one touch attack per level. It doesn’t spell out the action cost involved. There’s an argument that all of the touches are made immediately as part of the action spent casting, but that’s against my personal interpretation of RAI, though it might or might not be RAW. (There’s not terribly much textual evidence for this, but my interpretation of RAI just based off of what feels right is that you can, at least on subsequent rounds after the initial casting, make the same number of touch attacks as you would regular attacks on a full attack, but I freely admit that this is a gut ruling rather than ironclad RAW.)

Produce Flame is similar.
There's very strong textual evidence, as it is spelled out explicitly in the Rules Compendium that it works that way.

BowStreetRunner
2018-07-26, 07:04 PM
For that i have Metamagic to cast those spells with a Full-round-action.That doesn't change that you still only deal extra damage on the first attack the spell makes each round.I think the OP is referring to this: "A form of attack that enables an attacker to make multiple attacks during an action other than a full-round action, such as the Manyshot feat (standard action) or a quickened scorching ray (swift action), allows precision damage to be applied only to the first attack in the group."RC42

Since it is now a full-round action, this limit no longer applies.

Blu
2018-07-26, 07:07 PM
I think the OP is referring to this: "A form of attack that enables an attacker to make multiple attacks during an action other than a full-round action, such as the Manyshot feat (standard action) or a quickened scorching ray (swift action), allows precision damage to be applied only to the first attack in the group."RC42

Since it is now a full-round action, this limit no longer applies.

I was just about to reference the volley rules. But yes, it's exactly that

Zaq
2018-07-26, 07:09 PM
That doesn't change that you still only deal extra damage on the first attack the spell makes each round.

There's very strong textual evidence, as it is spelled out explicitly in the Rules Compendium that it works that way.

Oh yeah? That's excellent. Which page or section in particular?

CharonsHelper
2018-07-26, 07:56 PM

Right here on the WoTC website - http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20040309a.

With spell effects that allow you to make multiple attack rolls, such as the energy orb spells or the Split Ray feat from Tome and Blood, you must treat the effect like a volley -- only the first attack can be a sneak attack.

You must TREAT it like a volley. Period. That's it. No exceptions.

It doesn't say that the volley rule happens to apply. It is straight up TREATED like a volley. End of story.

The only way to get multiple SA with spells in a single turn is to use Quicken on one spell and then cast another normally.

Thurbane
2018-07-26, 08:00 PM
This has been debated back and forth since the volley rules were published; I don't think there has ever been full agreement on the RAW reading of the rules.

CharonsHelper
2018-07-26, 08:19 PM
This has been debated back and forth since the volley rules were published; I don't think there has ever been full agreement on the RAW reading of the rules.

I'll 100% agree that the volley itself is a bit iffy on the RAW (though the RAI is pretty clear). But that's moot - because of old WoTC website cleared it up in the link I just posted above.

Troacctid
2018-07-26, 09:02 PM
RC 136.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/467192850862571522/472222138544422916/unknown.png

I'll 100% agree that the volley itself is a bit iffy on the RAW (though the RAI is pretty clear). But that's moot - because of old WoTC website cleared it up in the link I just posted above.
I don't get why the reference would be an FAQ page from the old website with no force of RAW when it's right there in the book itself. (CAr 86, also reprinted in RC.)
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/467192850862571522/472221488574103552/unknown.png

Blu
2018-07-26, 09:55 PM
RC 136.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/467192850862571522/472222138544422916/unknown.png

I don't get why the reference would be an FAQ page from the old website with no force of RAW when it's right there in the book itself. (CAr 86, also reprinted in RC.)
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/467192850862571522/472221488574103552/unknown.png

That is a bummer. And still there are ways to go around those rules with things like spamming Cloud of Knives, Arcane Fusions and spells of the sort.

Darrin
2018-07-27, 07:53 AM
Sorcerers can get around the action-type issue by applying a metamagic feat. Something that doesn't increase the spell level, such as Energy Substitution (CArc) or Energy Affinity (MiniHB), might work best. (Do not use Invisible Spell. No, not even then.)

Wizards have to work a little harder for it, but Spell Mastery + Uncanny Forethought (Exemplars of Evil) should work.

Some spells that have multiple projectiles/attack rolls:

Arcane Bolt (Sor/Wiz 1, Spellbook Archive (http://archive.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/sb/sb20001001a))

Elemental Dart (Sor/Wiz 2, Dragonlance Campaign Setting)
Ice Darts (Brd/Sor/Wiz 2, Frostburn)
Splinterbolt (Dru 2, Spell Compendium)
Toothed Tentacle (Sor/Wiz 2, Lost Empires of Faerun)

Hailstones (Sor/Wiz 3, Spell Compendium)
Threesteel (Sor/Wiz 3, Dragons of Faerun)

Energy Spheres (Sor/Wiz 4, Spell Compendium)
Force Orb (Sor/Wiz 4, Unapproachable East)

Moonbow (Sor/Wiz 5, Spell Compendium)

BowStreetRunner
2018-07-27, 07:56 AM
Sorcerers can get around the action-type issue by applying a metamagic feat...The OP already indicated use of metamagic to increase casting time to full round, but the general response has been to dismiss this. It appears that the other posters don't believe it makes a difference for volley spells. Or else I am reading their replies incorrectly.

CharonsHelper
2018-07-27, 11:08 AM
The OP already indicated use of metamagic to increase casting time to full round, but the general response has been to dismiss this. It appears that the other posters don't believe it makes a difference for volley spells. Or else I am reading their replies incorrectly.

Nope - it technically makes it that "volley" doesn't apply, but that doesn't matter because there are other rulings which still specifically disallow getting SA more than once off of multi-touch attack spells like Scorching Ray.

edathompson2
2018-07-27, 11:23 AM
That is a bummer. And still there are ways to go around those rules with things like spamming Cloud of Knives, Arcane Fusions and spells of the sort.

Shadow Walk. Multiple Mordenkainen's Swords. Dismiss Shadow Walk. Sneak attack with all Mordenkainen's Swords from flanking/and/or flat footed during surprise round.