PDA

View Full Version : How to kill a 20th level cleric. (npc)

shadowmann2330
2018-07-26, 03:31 PM
Hello internet,

I write to you all today to discuss the ways a 10 level pc could feesably kill a 20th level cleric.

I will be curt I would like to stay within the bounds of reality and rules, no gimmicks that could be swept under the rug by DM God hand.

The target is not crucial to story or plot, but at one point betrayed my first character via paralysis.

There is another twist however. In this game the DM has a mini artifact that anyone can purchase called a saving grace.

When a character dies the grace activates, casts raise dead and the person returns to the place where the effect was placed on them.

So my pc was a neutral evil wizard, when she died she followed the God Zehir and was dead set on exploring the world, and exploiting things found out there for her own gain.
I as a good player told everyone that I would never harm any pc, nor steal from them, nor work against the groups goals.

The npc killed my wizard while I was unable to play for a few months, a direct betrayal as the wizard was her captain. (the DM and I are good buddies and I was ok with this.) Wizard isalive again and this time want vengeance.

My first thought was to use several magical rods immovable rods to hold up a ton of weight. Then lure the target to the cave, then cast antimagic shell and simultaneously turn off the rods, the saving grace, and the clerics spells allowing the rocks to slay her.

, I am always open to suggestions and ideas including spells. I could really use help on this one ladies and gents it's quite a challenge but I think it's possible.

JackPhoenix
2018-07-26, 04:34 PM
I will be curt I would like to stay within the bounds of reality and rules, no gimmicks that could be swept under the rug by DM God hand.

There is another twist however. In this game the DM has a mini artifact that anyone can purchase called a saving grace.

Yeah, defeated right from the start. Anything can be negated by GM fiat, and if you have access to the artifact that resurrects you, so does the NPC.

ReaperChaos
2018-07-26, 05:33 PM
Could you give a little more input on this Cleric? From the moment they are level 20, we will need to think outside the box. A good way to do that is to know his abilities. For example, I wouldn't use any tactic revolving fire against a Forge Cleric because it would be useless. Or throwing a Tempest Cleric off a cliff, since they can fly outside.

Trask
2018-07-26, 06:13 PM
You are going to want to ambush him, preferably in a place he would not expect.

shadowmann2330
2018-07-26, 06:18 PM
Could you give a little more input on this Cleric? From the moment they are level 20, we will need to think outside the box. A good way to do that is to know his abilities. For example, I wouldn't use any tactic revolving fire against a Forge Cleric because it would be useless. Or throwing a Tempest Cleric off a cliff, since they can fly outside.

Sadly I do not know enough to say. The one thing I know is that without magic she is useless and cannot fight back.

I don't know what domain she's in or what spells she has at all, she didn't quest with the group very much.

sithlordnergal
2018-07-26, 07:29 PM
What sort of party are you working with?

thrdeye
2018-07-26, 07:33 PM
I don't know what domain she's in or what spells she has at all, she didn't quest with the group very much.

You said this wizard was the cleric's captain, correct? I may be misunderstanding this (level 10 PC with level 20 subordinate seems odd) but if there was some sort of preexisting relationship there your character would know more about the cleric's abilities. If so, I'd ask the DM so you have some idea what you're up against.

Lord8Ball
2018-07-26, 07:44 PM
Hire a bunch of bandits then cast invisibility on all of them. Let the bandits get up close and grapple him then cast silence while you spam spells at him from a distance and possibly some bandits using wands of magic missile on him. This is a surefire way to deal with casters especially if you are a necromancer with the only exception being a sorcerer with subtle spell.

Direct confrontation by yourself is likely to get you killed unless you fly and have spell sniper to keep on striking him/her beyond range.

Or you can cast resilient sphere on him are roll him into a pit dug by you and then bury him deep underground then cast wall of stone from a glyph of warding to seal the hole.

Go invisible and spike his food with laxatives, take his holy symbol with sleight of hands and then kill him on the can.

CTurbo
2018-07-26, 08:36 PM
What kind of Wizard are you?

Too bad Anti-magic field won't work against a Cleric.

You're going to need to bound and gag him/her quickly to have a chance.

Hold Person? Dominate Person would work but target Wisdom which is bad. You probably want to find a save or suck spell that targets Charisma like Banishment. Banishment would work. you can boobie trap the space they were in when banished and they will return back to that space after 1 minute.

Vorpalchicken
2018-07-26, 09:31 PM
Can't cast Antimagic Field at 10th level any way but other than divine intervention and possibly channel divinity (depending on interpretation) it would have been largely effective- except for the fact that an armored 20th level cleric would probably fight better than an unarmored 10th level guy when magic is inhibited..

I think a version of the OPs original trap might be fun but instead of immovable rods supporting the ceiling, how about a wall of force. And instead of you dispelling it, how about tricking the cleric into dispelling it. (That's a classic Grimtooth trap btw) Maybe have a minion disguised as you (illusions may not work on this guy) taunting him behind the wall and a glyph of warding triggering something nasty or two on his side of the wall

Anymage
2018-07-26, 10:02 PM
20th sound a bit much for some underling who just stabbed you in the back. 20s are mythic characters who should be shaping large chunks of the world, if not going beyond.

That aside, you deal with it the same way you'd want to deal with any other appreciably stronger enemy. Get stronger yourself. That way, you really feel the payoff when you're able to kick their teeth in.

Angelalex242
2018-07-27, 01:22 AM
He still has finite hp. So if you're a paladin, blow every high level smite you have on him, rogues sneak attack, and so on.