PDA

View Full Version : I accidently made an op character

mehs
2018-07-26, 06:10 PM
Due to some homebrew I was told about after my character was made and some stuff that happened in game, I now have a necromancer wizard with the ability to command an entire army of essentially super zombies (really high hp, good attack and damage, ability to heal by eating, low everything else, dies in sunlight, and mindless) and as of now I have 54 of these things. I am also have "will not die" immortality for 100 years. It is to the point that in one battle I (solo) got enough xp to jump the party from level 3 to 7 (against an army of the super zombies).

The only limiting things is that due to us leveling quickly we still only have the wbl of level 2 so my wizard only has 4 level 2/3/4 (each) spells.

How should I proceed? The campaign itself is moderately high powered but im pretty sure I am two times or more powerful than the other people in the party.

Note: the homebrew doesn't change any of the rules, it is a homebrewed monster which is freaking everywhere (super zombie plague) along with it is pretty easy to make deals with gods (the price is high but about 1/3 of the pantheon accepts killing a certain amount of the zombie plague as payment. Also they are allowed to be salty about having to pay (like asking for a spellbook filled with spells and it is filled with cantrips).

Quertus
2018-07-26, 07:09 PM
I think that the only real question is, does anyone have a problem with your character? If not, no problem. If so, ask them what they'd like to see change / how they'd like the problem solved.

BowStreetRunner
2018-07-26, 07:21 PM
Your DM is obviously not aware of the rule limiting how many levels a player can gain at once.
A character can advance only one level at a time. If, for some extraordinary reason, a character’s XP reward from a single adventure would be enough to advance two or more levels at once, he or she instead advances one level and gains just enough XP to be 1 XP short of the next level. Any excess experience points are not retained. So I would not be surprised if your DM is fairly inexperienced in other matters as well. So I think it would be a good idea for you to pay attention to whether the other players are starting to feel left out or overshadowed and not expect your DM to be the one to deal with this.

Gandalf makes a very good role model for situations like this - always there to help out but rarely taking the spotlight away from others when they are able to deal with a situation. You might try something similar. If any of the other players comment, just point out that spellcasters have a limited resource (spell slots) that can be very powerful when called upon, but are pretty useless when those slots are used up. So it's good strategy to not waste those resources if they're not needed, and let the others handle anything that doesn't need spellcasting.

mehs
2018-07-26, 07:57 PM
That is pretty much the one actual game rule he changed in his campaign. Specifically asked about that.

Andor13
2018-07-27, 10:19 AM
Well, you can (possibly) spread the love around. If the zombies obey you, see if you can command them to obey other party members too, and then hand some squaddies out to the rest of the party.

XionUnborn01
2018-07-27, 11:27 AM
There's generally a limit to the number of undead you can command. Is there a reason you are able to control 54 monsters?

Goaty14
2018-07-27, 12:03 PM
There's generally a limit to the number of undead you can command. Is there a reason you are able to control 54 monsters?

I used the 24hrs to be able to take control of half the army. Prepped the battle field and had them be split into armies of 35 flanking groups of 70 (2v1 checkerboard). Then I rested for 8 hrs, prepped spells again, and laughed. I was essentially doing double damage compared to them (we were both auto hitting). My armies each had 540 hp compared to their 840 (but i had 2x more armies than they did).

so 7 battles of 2v1. I won easily. A group of them broke into the town but I command undead -ed them.

This is a different discussion for a similar thread.

XionUnborn01
2018-07-27, 01:27 PM
This is a different discussion for a similar thread.

They have 140 hp but 0hd? This is a truly bizarre campaign. I think any mildly competent person would have an OP character.