PDA

View Full Version : D&d 3.5: Any item that works like a Pokeball?

LordBlade
2018-07-27, 12:54 AM
I found the Familiar Pocket spell, which works for familiars. But is there anything like that that works for other stuff? Like say undead minions?

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-07-27, 12:58 AM
Shalantha's delicate disk stores a spell in it that is cast when you throw and/or break it, so just store some summoning spells and call 'em pokeballs.

Celestia
2018-07-27, 01:02 AM
An iron flask (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#ironFlask) works almost exactly like a Poké Ball. It is incredibly expensive, however.

Venger
2018-07-27, 01:02 AM
smoky confinement is also designed especially for this. capture something big and mean and set it free aimed at the enemy at an appropriately hilarious time

ShurikVch
2018-07-27, 03:43 AM
Like say undead minions?How about the Minions' Coffin (http://archive.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/dx20021031x)?

LordBlade
2018-07-27, 04:55 AM
How about the Minions' Coffin (http://archive.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/dx20021031x)?
Well, problem with that is that it's not very throwable. :p
I mean, as far as just storing a minion, I could probably just stuff him in a bag of holding. lol

sleepyphoenixx
2018-07-27, 05:38 AM
smoky confinement is also designed especially for this. capture something big and mean and set it free aimed at the enemy at an appropriately hilarious time

Smoky Confinement only targets living creatures.
Which makes it great for druids/arcane hierophants using Wild Empathy/Handle Animal and wizards using Planar Binding but worthless for necromancers and construct-crafters.

noob
2018-07-27, 05:41 AM
Which makes it great for druids/arcane hierophants using Wild Empathy/Handle Animal and wizards using Planar Binding but worthless for necromancers and construct-crafters.

Necromancers have an easy time through haunt shift(a spell that is really convenient for undead transportation) and construct crafters have an easy time because constructs does not breath and so can be put into bags of holding.

Venger
2018-07-27, 06:33 AM

They don't need it. You can carry nonliving creatures around in your bag of holding/portable hole with a few pebbles of light and some magazines and a few decks of cards.

sleepyphoenixx
2018-07-27, 07:00 AM
They don't need it. You can carry nonliving creatures around in your bag of holding/portable hole with a few pebbles of light and some magazines and a few decks of cards.

OP asked specifically for things that work on undead minions though.
And a bag of holding/portable hole doesn't work like a pokeball either. Sure, it's ok for basic transport (assuming you can afford enough of them and have no minions that are too large to fit), but you can't go "Green Dragon Zombie, I Choose You!" with them in the middle of combat.

thorr-kan
2018-07-27, 09:59 AM
Dragon #280, "A Little More Familiar, p60, if you're willing to use it and 3.0 material.

Extra Familiar
Enspell Familiar
Construct Familiar
Undead Familiar

and what you're looking for: Token Familiar: "Your familiar can assume a innocuous, inanimate form.

flappeercraft
2018-07-27, 04:20 PM
Well there is the Morphball Trick (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?128988-The-Morph-Ball-A-potentially-humerous-trick).

Jack_Simth
2018-07-27, 08:39 PM
Perhaps cast Polymorph Any Object on the minion to turn it into, say, the severed toe of a zombie, then throw and dispel?

BlackOnyx
2018-07-28, 12:43 AM
Necromancers have an easy time through haunt shift

Seconding this. Haunt Shift is going to be your best bet unless you have a lot of extra coin and/or spell slots to burn. (It's a Clr/Sor/Wiz 5 spell from Libris Mortis, if you're curious.)

The spell allows you to (permanently) shift the essence of an undead up to 8HD into an object between tiny and huge size. A number of times per week equal to their HD, they can be projected from the object and take physical form (for #HD minutes).

Any mundane object is fair game: bracers, boots, weapons...ceramic spheres painted red and white.

LordBlade
2018-07-28, 01:21 AM
My character's a Warlock. So I guess I'd need Haunt Shift put into the relevant item?

noob
2018-07-28, 07:42 AM
My character's a Warlock. So I guess I'd need Haunt Shift put into the relevant item?

In fact no if you put haunt shift as an enchantment on the item in which you want to put the undead then the item is not a valid target for haunt shift and so you can not put undead in it.
So you should rather make a 1 time per day item that allows to haunt shift an undead into another item(basically that item would make a new definitive pokeball each day).

mabriss lethe
2018-07-28, 12:43 PM
Aberrant spheres would sort of work.
Bag of embers also.

BlackOnyx
2018-07-29, 12:01 AM

In fact no if you put haunt shift as an enchantment on the item in which you want to put the undead then the item is not a valid target for haunt shift and so you can not put undead in it.
So you should rather make a 1 time per day item that allows to haunt shift an undead into another item(basically that item would make a new definitive pokeball each day).

Yeah, this would be the case. Haunt Shift targets the undead itself, rather than the object it's being shifted into.

That said, if you're only looking at "catching" a few specific undead, you could always pay your friendly neighborhood necromancer (divine or arcane) to cast a couple quick spells for ya.

UMD and a few scrolls of Haunt Shift could work as well.

LordBlade
2018-07-29, 11:42 AM
Nah, I'm making my own undead with The Dead Walk. I was just hoping for some sort of Pokeball type mcguffin to use to toss them out into battle, as opposed to just yanking them out of my bag of holding. :p

Bohandas
2018-07-29, 01:22 PM
Binding/Minimus Containment

LordBlade
2018-07-29, 04:25 PM
Binding/Minimus Containment
Only works on living creatures.

hamishspence
2018-07-29, 04:58 PM
Nah, I'm making my own undead with The Dead Walk. I was just hoping for some sort of Pokeball type mcguffin to use to toss them out into battle, as opposed to just yanking them out of my bag of holding. :p

Throwing down your Portable Hole works OK with flying undead. For unflying undead, it might need a ladder propped against its wall before rolling it up.

The Dead Walk has a very short duration (1 minute per caster level).

LordBlade
2018-07-29, 06:52 PM
Throwing down your Portable Hole works OK with flying undead. For unflying undead, it might need a ladder propped against its wall before rolling it up.

The Dead Walk has a very short duration (1 minute per caster level).
That's only if you don't use the component (which only costs 25g). If you do, it's like the standard Animate Dead, which is permanent.

Cosi
2018-07-29, 08:44 PM
Has someone mentioned trap the soul yet? Because while it's not an exact match, it does the pokeball thing pretty well.