PDA

View Full Version : Nunchuck weapon

Bannan_mantis
2018-07-27, 10:09 AM
hello all I am trying to implement a few new weapons for a dnd campaign and one of them happened to be nunchucks. I thought that just giving them the basic 1d6 bludgeoning was a little boring so I was hoping to create the stats for a item that is one handed and has finesse but you can only dual wield them with a special kind of feat and I would like for it to have a kind of mechanic to let the user attack more than once with them emphasising the speed. If any of you already have something for this or have a idea please say as it would be very appreciated

DnDegenerates
2018-07-27, 10:35 AM
The phb just stats them as a club.

Being 1d6 and having the finesse capability sounds perfectly balanced.

Adding anything else could make it over powered. 5e had a lot of standard stat weapons for balance purposes. Which is why they allow for like weapons to share stats.

Allowing for extra attacks is more of a class ability than something a weapon should allow. Or a feat. I wouldn't say it's something a weapon alone should give, as owning one doesn't usually grant the skill associated with using it to the extent of it's purpose.

See monks martial arts or the polearm master feat.

Allowing them to work with the dual wielsing feats wouldn't be too bad.

Bannan_mantis
2018-07-27, 10:47 AM
Okay, thanks for that and I understand what you mean. Creating the idea of a feat to go along with it actually sounds quite good to emphasise the speed of it and I wasn't planning to have it be 1d6 and have a bonus more like 1d4 or less and have the bonus of something like that but a feat that would work with it to give them more attacks while not being too overpowered would work very well. something similar to polearm master could work quite well but a different style to fit the nunchuck instead of a pole arm would what I need

MagneticKitty
2018-07-27, 11:06 AM
I would just give it versatile and finesse property. Martial weapon.
One handed 1d6, two handed 2d4

Easy.

Vogie
2018-07-27, 11:21 AM
When I statted out a monk for a drop-in player in one of my games, with nunchucks and a spear, I used the whip stats - 1d4 & reach - off the top of my head. I had forgotten that Whips were martial weapons, not simple, but it worked out fine.

Unoriginal
2018-07-27, 12:07 PM
Nunchucks are just clubs. You could stat them as budgeoning short swords if you want, though.

Requilac
2018-07-27, 12:49 PM
So let’s see, you want the nunchucks to deal 1d6 damage and have the finesse property. You should also be able to make an additional attack with them somehow.

This sounds exactly like a shortsword that deals bludgeoning damage. Why don’t you just go with that? It covers all your requirements after all, and the light property gives it that additional attack you wanted.

Bannan_mantis
2018-07-27, 02:44 PM
looking at your suggestions I see that I should have just gone with basically a shortsword doing bludgeoning damage

Specter
2018-07-27, 04:31 PM
Any reason why you want finesse on it? Because that makes little sense for a bludgeoning weapon. Also monks can use it with DEX normally.

EvilAnagram
2018-07-27, 04:57 PM
Any reason why you want finesse on it? Because that makes little sense for a bludgeoning weapon. Also monks can use it with DEX normally.
I mean, it was only ever used as a training weapon for developing speed and control, so Dex sounds fine to me.

Edit: Well, as far as anyone knows. The origins of every traditional weapon are shrouded in a historical fog. Similar to college.

GlenSmash!
2018-07-27, 05:07 PM
I think I'd just use a quarterstaff stats.

Yes I know they are not the same, but 1d6/1d8 versatile bludgeoning seems to cover it. Especially if you're a Monk using Dex.

CTurbo
2018-07-27, 06:41 PM
How would a Nunchuck be versatile? I think the damage die should probably be 1d4 but it wouldn't matter on a Monk anyway since it'll scale up. I have no problem with them being Finesse as I don't think it would make any difference anywhere.

I could see creating a houserule that allows you to make two quick attacks per "attack" but I wouldn't allow both to get the Dex bonus to damage.

Knaight
2018-07-27, 10:56 PM
I'm joining the club consensus here - it's not just that club stats work, it's that nunchucks are fundamentally a club. They're a bit of a janky and weird club, but "club" is a very broad category of weapons and they're far from the only janky and weird one.

Xihirli
2018-07-27, 11:01 PM
You know what's better than a sword and a nunchuck?

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e166/jpohagan/SwordChucks.jpg

MeeposFire
2018-07-27, 11:33 PM
You know what's better than a sword and a nunchuck?

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e166/jpohagan/SwordChucks.jpg

I am disappointed as I was expecting baby-chucks.

Ganymede
2018-07-27, 11:51 PM
I'm joining the club consensus here - it's not just that club stats work, it's that nunchucks are fundamentally a club. They're a bit of a janky and weird club, but "club" is a very broad category of weapons and they're far from the only janky and weird one.

To me, they seem to fit in a middle ground between clubs and flails. I'm cool with a d6 damage die nestling them between the flail's d8 and the club's d4.

Malifice
2018-07-28, 12:14 AM
hello all I am trying to implement a few new weapons for a dnd campaign and one of them happened to be nunchucks. I thought that just giving them the basic 1d6 bludgeoning was a little boring so I was hoping to create the stats for a item that is one handed and has finesse but you can only dual wield them with a special kind of feat and I would like for it to have a kind of mechanic to let the user attack more than once with them emphasising the speed. If any of you already have something for this or have a idea please say as it would be very appreciated

They're a club.

Monks can dual wield them, and treat them as basically finesse weapons. Clubs [nunchucks] are Monk weapons.

Wisefool
2018-07-28, 01:21 AM
I am having a real hard time picturing what a two-handed nunchuk attack would look like. It is a one-handed weapon, switching hands between strikes doesn't make it two-handed.

But does switching hands burn the player's free interaction that turn?

Vogie
2018-07-28, 12:24 PM
They need to be light weapons, for dual wielding, and not just for teen-level Tortles with a homebrew experiment background

Tanarii
2018-07-28, 01:27 PM
Nunchucks are clubs, Kama are sickles. It's buried in the PHB on page 78 under the Monk class, in the last paragraph of the Martial Arts ability.

Nunchucks are flails. Says so on DMG 41, Wuxia weapons table.

So two different answers depending on which source you use.

furby076
2018-07-28, 10:58 PM
So nunchucks = clubs. They are light so can be dual wielded and allow offhand attack (bonus action).

So, lets make a feat for it?
Maybe gives +1 dex or str
Allows bonus attack similar to dual wield
As an action (or bonus) the wielder twirls the nunchucks between both hands and around his body in an attempt to impress/intimidate his target (performance or intimidate check)