PDA

View Full Version : Things that grant X but also require X as a prerequisite (more Kobold nonsense)

Katie Boundary
2018-07-27, 04:41 PM
- Dragonwrought feat grants darkvision. However, it is only available to kobolds, and kobolds already have darkvision.

- Dragonblood sorcerer can only be taken if you have the Dragonblood subtype. Its first level grants Draconic Heritage, which grants you the Dragonblood subtype... that you already have.

who writes this crap

Cosi
2018-07-27, 04:48 PM
I mean, Draconic Heritage also grants you other stuff -- couple of save bonuses and a class skill. Also, it's a prerequisite for some better feats. Getting it for free isn't bad.

The darkvision thing is weird though.

lylsyly
2018-07-27, 07:09 PM
- Dragonwrought feat grants darkvision. However, it is only available to kobolds, and kobolds already have darkvision.

- Dragonblood sorcerer can only be taken if you have the Dragonblood subtype. Its first level grants Draconic Heritage, which grants you the Dragonblood subtype... that you already have.

who writes this crap

Welcome to the wonderful world of WoTC!

Inevitability
2018-07-28, 09:53 AM

Obviously the darkvision is meant for Racial Emulation changelings.

BowStreetRunner
2018-07-28, 10:18 AM
Draconic Heritage was obviously meant for a wider audience, so grants dragonblood subtype for those who don't already have it. But it is the key to a whole other mechanic, so is still valuable to those who are already dragonblood. Personally, I always thought it would have been better to make most of the feats that require Draconic Heritage to only require dragonblood subtype. But, whatever...

As for the Dragonwrought feat, since it changes your type I always felt that the list of things you get was more just clarifying what the Dragon type has by default. Sort of "This is your new type, and here is what that includes".

gorfnab
2018-07-29, 12:42 AM
Welcome to the wonderful world of WoTC!
Here's another fun one. Shadow Thief of Amn (PGtF) requires the feat Persuasive. One of bonus feat choices that it can grant is Persuasive.