PDA

View Full Version : So CoS is pretty deadly...I'd like to survive a bit longer this time.

Seekergeek
2018-07-27, 05:04 PM
Well...crap. I'm dead. My character lasted until the basement of the death house. That's all I'll say for fear of spoilers (both giving and receiving). Anyway, it's time to make up a new character for this weekend's session. Our party makeup is a fighter, a bard, a rogue, and a cleric. I'm not certain of the cleric's domain but I don't really think it matters too much. We're second level so the others have yet to have the opportunity to choose an archetype.

Given the release of the Eberron book and the inclusion of the double scimitar, I've got an idea to play an elf of some description with the plan to take the Revenant Blade feat at level 4. For those who don't have the book, the double scimitar is a double weapon and the feat allows one to apply the finesse property and increases the offhand damage making the net result equivalent to 2d4+STAT with a 2d4+STAT offhand bonus attack. My DM loves elves, loves eberron and is on board for the weapon and feat.

The weapon and the vaguely Arabian flavour is all that I've really got my heart set on. Beyond that I'm stumped.

I will be rolling stats but in front of the DM so I don't know what they will be yet. Let's assume they aren't worse than the standard array. I'd like to play a cleric but we've got one already (not that doubling up on classes really bothers me too much) or maybe a Paladin. I was previously allowed to take the zeal domain though I didn't end up doing so, so I know that's on the table along with the official material. I'm not sure, but I think I could push to have bladesinging allowed with the double scimitar but I don't know for certain. Maybe go against type and try out a storm herald desert barbarian, foregoing the revenant blade feat for great weapon master? Maybe a swashbuckling rogue would make best use of the 2d4 finesse weapon and bonus attack?

Clearly I need some help.

Edit: Also, tying myself to an exotic weapon (forgive the 3.5ism), should I be focusing on options that let me make it magical such as a forge cleric, bladelock or devotion paladin?

QuickLyRaiNbow
2018-07-27, 05:12 PM
How about a Pact of the Blade warlock, so you can guarantee access to a double scimitar when you need one? A Hexbladelock gets you a powerful ranged attack, some utility (though not much), medium armor proficiency and Cha-based attacks. Alternately, if you have good dexterity, you could take the Celestial patron for sacred flame - I suspect at-will radiant damage is useful in Ravenloft - and some extra healing power. Racially, if you definitely want an elf, an eladrin will get you +dex and +cha, the standard elf features and an oh-shirt button if you get in over your head. Granted, you don't get to choose your pact until 3, so you'll be without the weapon until then.

Seekergeek
2018-08-01, 12:51 AM
How about a Pact of the Blade warlock, so you can guarantee access to a double scimitar when you need one? A Hexbladelock gets you a powerful ranged attack, some utility (though not much), medium armor proficiency and Cha-based attacks. Alternately, if you have good dexterity, you could take the Celestial patron for sacred flame - I suspect at-will radiant damage is useful in Ravenloft - and some extra healing power. Racially, if you definitely want an elf, an eladrin will get you +dex and +cha, the standard elf features and an oh-shirt button if you get in over your head. Granted, you don't get to choose your pact until 3, so you'll be without the weapon until then.

Yeah, a warlock makes a lot of sense but I just played one for ToA so I'd like to try something a bit different. I tend to play warlocks and bardlocks more often than not, actually.

So, something of an update which may spur on some potential discussion as I haven't seen a lot of talk about these: my DM has not only allowed but suggested I take a look at Mearle's homebrew domains - particularly destruction (https://i.imgur.com/hefvvLb.jpg) and darkness (https://i.imgur.com/QdgO1Qi.jpg). Obviously we're not at a table that is too worried about balance - we play a pretty loose and fun game and collaborate rather than individually try and 'win'.

That being said, I haven't seen much discussion about either of these beyond a thread started when Mike released them on his twitter account. My DM came across them on Sage Advice recently and I had to miss most of last session due to a teething baby needing emotional support while my wife was off at book club.

Anywho, I feel like both bring a lot of pow to the table and could pair well with a dual scimitar build. The question, dear buddies, is how best to accomplish that.

Oh. I have my rolls now, too.

16 10 12 17 13 7 before racials, rolled at the table.

Edited so as not to be rude and ignore the feedback already received.

sophontteks
2018-08-01, 06:45 AM
Surviving CoS will take more then just being optimized for combat.

Theodoxus
2018-08-01, 07:13 AM
Agreed. Things I would consider: Druid - the spells compliment the clerics, wildshape allows for infiltration and scouting better than the rogue, and you might find rapport with people in Barovia.

Arcane caster (any, but Wizard would my preferred offering given your penchant to play Cha based casters) - that is tempered by how much of a face any of the other characters are. Having access to both highly utilitarian arcane spells as well as generally useful blasting type spells, you will definitely appreciate an arcane caster in the party. The Bladesinging idea will work great - tying in party needs with your want of a elven double scimitar...

Lastly, a Paladin of Devotion or Redemption would also go a long way to bolstering your odds of surviving - provided you don't play either as Lawful Stupid.

Just a bit of wisdom to offer: The only successful run of CoS I've played, the party was very savvy of the political intrigue around them. We ultimately sacrificed a bit of our Lawful and Good to ensure the survival of the greater good. I wouldn't say we came out unscathed, but we came out whole.

jaappleton
2018-08-01, 08:38 AM
Surviving Strahd isn't about being a Combat powerhouse.

You need utility. Specifically in regards to exploration, and avoiding combat.

Also, when it comes to combat, remember its often better to lock down enemies and prevent them from doing anything than to damage them.

Its for these reason I'm going to recommend two different things, for two different reasons.

1. Dex Based Valor Bard. A solid spell list, its particularly versatile, get Expertise in Stealth and Perception (AMAZINGLY valuable), and solid in combat. You really can't go wrong with this option. Many people scoff at the idea of being a Bard. NOTHING about the class means you have to be musically inclined for any reason at all. I'd actually go Eladrin here for your race, giving you Fey Step (AWESOME!) every short rest which can help both in exploration and in combat, and gets you a varying Cantrip so you have a decent ranged attack as well.

2. Oath of Devotion Dex-based Paladin. Now, why Devotion and not something a little more offensive, like Vengeance? Simple. First, Vengeance's CD impacts only one enemy. Devotions CD, while an Action (which SUCKS, don't get me wrong) works against anybody for the whole fight. Secondly, Devotion's Aura ability is invaluable in CoS. Immunity to Charms. That's outright amazing for that campaign, and when you consider it also helps your allies close to you, it can easily turn the tide of a fight.

Mortis_Elrod
2018-08-01, 10:05 AM
Gonna go against the grain and say a Ranger might be something looking into, espescially if the Revised is on the table.

That’ll give you some exploration perks, and if Revised is used some bonus damage on your your favored enemy.

You also get defense fighting style.

Besides that you might like Battlemaster Fighter, GWF varies maneuevers, second wind, action surge. Even before you get your subclass you should tanky enough to live till level 3.

Quoxis
2018-08-02, 07:23 AM
How about a barbarian/rogue split?
Focus on Str and Con as with any barbarian, third highest stat is Dex followed by Wis, the rest doesn’t matter that much.
Barb 2 gives you a „Dex-advantage on all effects from visible sources as often as you want“, and of course rage for a few encounters per day - bonus damage to your attacks, half damage taken from weapons etc.
Rogue gets you skills and expertise from first level onwards, thieves tools to disable locks and traps, „half damage on a reaction in combat“ at fifth and „dex save effects now deal half damage on a fail and no damage on a success“ at seventh level - hard to beat in survivability.

Seekergeek
2018-08-02, 12:06 PM
I've actually wanted to play a mastermind/ancestral guardian for a while now...hmm...

I very much appreciate all the feedback so far.

At present, combat wise, the only real hole we seem to have is a lack of ready access to radiant damage/sunlight. Our cleric is a knowledge cleric, as it turns out. He took toll the dead over sacred flame for reasons of character so that seems to be an important gap to plug in the grand scheme of things.

The party is nearly out of the death house, though currently pursued by the you-know-what in the basement. My character won't join until they've cleared it, but I anticipate that will be early-on next session. I'm leaning toward a destruction cleric which will provide some blasting thanks to the expanded spells, a lot of versatility in selecting some of the other less combat oriented spells to prepare daily, a pretty solid scaling "toughen up" mode (and built in magic weapon buff) with destructive fury, and with a half-elf build some solid skills or with a wood elf build access to that silly double scimitar.

The need for out of combat utility isn't lost on me by a long shot, but thank you to everyone who pointed that out. Character-wise, he'll be a worshiper of Gadhelyn and a bandit priest who wandered into the wrong misty woods. Background will be criminal/spy. Skills, if a half-elf, will be deception, insight, intimidation, perception, religion, and stealth. If I go wood elf, I would lose deception and intimidation from my skills. He'll have proficiency in thieves tools.

Quoxis
2018-08-02, 01:19 PM
I've actually wanted to play a mastermind/ancestral guardian for a while now...hmm...

I very much appreciate all the feedback so far.

At present, combat wise, the only real hole we seem to have is a lack of ready access to radiant damage/sunlight. Our cleric is a knowledge cleric, as it turns out. He took toll the dead over sacred flame for reasons of character so that seems to be an important gap to plug in the grand scheme of things.

Just saying, zealot barbarian gets radiant bonus damage to weapon attacks as early as level 3...