PDA

View Full Version : Retrained character idea, advice appreciated

Degwerks
2018-07-27, 06:04 PM
I'm going to get the chance to retrain my character levels and I'm looking at this build. 8 Conquest Paladin/8 Hexblade/ 4 Sorcerer. I'm retraining from 14 Hexblade -6 Vengeance Paladin.

I've got 5 other party members and 3 of them are full caster classes. I'm picking up the Menacing feat and that will give me a +20 on intimidation checks. I plan on trying to conserve my higher slots for crit smites if I can and use Quicken spell for Create Bonfire or Cloud of Daggers. Then use Menacing to frighten and another attack to shove prone.

I'm trying to change up my options in melee by locking them down instead of Hold Person/Monster crit smites. And prolong the combat some for the other melee guys.

I'm sword & board with a holy avenger, my other feats are taken. I have amazing saves and a Storm Giant belt for strength, a Mastery Ioun Stone and 22 charisma.

Spell selection is something I would love advice on.

Degwerks
2018-07-28, 07:26 AM
Anyone have any thoughts about this build?

th3g0dc0mp13x
2018-07-28, 11:02 AM
I'm going to get the chance to retrain my character levels and I'm looking at this build. 8 Conquest Paladin/8 Hexblade/ 4 Sorcerer. I'm retraining from 14 Hexblade -6 Vengeance Paladin.

I've got 5 other party members and 3 of them are full caster classes. I'm picking up the Menacing feat and that will give me a +20 on intimidation checks. I plan on trying to conserve my higher slots for crit smites if I can and use Quicken spell for Create Bonfire or Cloud of Daggers. Then use Menacing to frighten and another attack to shove prone.

I'm trying to change up my options in melee by locking them down instead of Hold Person/Monster crit smites. And prolong the combat some for the other melee guys.

I'm sword & board with a holy avenger, my other feats are taken. I have amazing saves and a Storm Giant belt for strength, a Mastery Ioun Stone and 22 charisma.

Spell selection is something I would love advice on.

Don't you also have a rod of the pact keeper? My main issue with the build is that you miss out on 5th level pact slots and fifth level standard slots so you're stuck at fourth level on both. I'm not a huge fan of menacing on this build either, you're trading one of your attacks for a single target 1 round debuff. Personally I'd advise either increasing the amount of warlock or sorcerer. or going 9/9/2 or 10/9/1 Paladin, Sorcerer, Hexblade. this gives you some short rest spells and higher slots for your character. the 10/9/1 build keeps you sad while simultaneously getting the fear protection third level paladin spells and fifth level sorcerer spells.

Degwerks
2018-07-28, 11:52 AM
Yes I do have a Rod of the Pact Keeper.

I do know, as of right now anyway, that I don't want to have less than 5 levels of Hexblade.

The single target lockdown thing was just for fun mainly. I also considered just grabbing some bard levels for the skill expertise or even rogue. We don't currently have a rogue or skill monkey.

I might just decide to go 8 Paladin and 12 Hexblade. Or 12/8. My DC for both is 21 and 23. I should skip the Menacing feat and get something else. Maybe Mobile or Inspiring Leader or Alert or Observant.

th3g0dc0mp13x
2018-07-29, 01:17 PM
Yes I do have a Rod of the Pact Keeper.

I do know, as of right now anyway, that I don't want to have less than 5 levels of Hexblade.

The single target lockdown thing was just for fun mainly. I also considered just grabbing some bard levels for the skill expertise or even rogue. We don't currently have a rogue or skill monkey.

I might just decide to go 8 Paladin and 12 Hexblade. Or 12/8. My DC for both is 21 and 23. I should skip the Menacing feat and get something else. Maybe Mobile or Inspiring Leader or Alert or Observant.

If it's for fun do it anyway, it's not going to hurt you it's just not as effective as other options.

I agree with the 12/8 hexblade paladin split, gives you the Aura and gets you lifedrinker, and another short rest 5th level slot, which puts your character at 4 IIRC.

Spells: the key thing to keep in mind is a lot of your spells overlap, If they have a saving throw get them through warlock, if they don't then grab them as Paladin spells. You get a total of 11 Warlock spells 1-5th level and can prepare up to 10 Paladin spells of first or second level.

Spiritual Weapon: Bonus action, not concentration scales up to 3d8+6 as a bonus action for up to a minute
Armor of Agathys: 25 Temp HP not concentration and can hit back when someone hits you.
Bless: Self Evident
Heroism: 6 temp hp every single turn. Can be great main drawback is it's concentration however as long as you don't lose it this can save so much hp.
Shield of faith: Free AC
Aid: Not Concentration and if used right before a short rest you now have 25 additional real HP for 8 hours, this stacks with the temp HP.
any others you feel like:

Wrathful Smite: Single target fear effect cost of 1 first level spell slot.
Shield: Pretty sure your AC is already in the 20+ range so this is purely if that ancient dragon's about to poke you.
Hold Person: The best single humanoid debuff imo Crit smites for days but you already know all about that. I'd probably not use this too often.
Suggestion: Infinite uses
Fear(Obviously): Hey it's your best friend.... Kind of, No save while they are in sight of you and the people within 10' of you are taking their action to dash instead of hitting you and can't move. The biggest issue is that they are now running from you, I highly recommend being mounted when using this spell unless there is nowhere to run to.
Banishment: Charisma save or be gone for a little while, Giving you a chance to kill their buddies.
Shadow of Moil: Permanent advantage and the aesthetic is awesome.
Synaptic Static: INT save and now they all suck at everything. Very few creatures can make a DC 23 int save reliably.
And for your 6th level: Mass suggestion

Degwerks
2018-07-30, 11:35 AM
Thanks a lot. I'm sold now on the 12/8 Hexblade Paladin split. Your spell selection is right on the money. Thanks again