PDA

View Full Version : How to get Assume Supernatural Ability on an Artificer?

RoboEmperor
2018-07-27, 06:08 PM
Character Building is IMO the most fun part of d&d and... well... I'm bored! My masterpiece is finished for a while now and he's doing really well in game, and I don't know how to improve my build so... now I'm gonna make different versions of it!

So the idea with the Artificer is
a. Start the game with Summon Marked Homunculi for an army of Arbalesters.
b. Transition to my signature Gargantuan Animated Object at level 6 trick (alter self into a Ravid and use Assume Supernatural Ability for the Ravid's at-will CL20 Animate Objects aura).
c. Play as a Gargantuan Animated Object until i save enough money to build a real construct, or, alternatively, build magic items that keep the Gargantuan Animated Object relevant at higher levels (this will probably be another thread).
d. If that construct dies, go back to the Gargantuan Animated Object until I can afford a new one.

So this would essentially make a construct master playable because he is completely functional without wealth which means...
a. The artificer doesn't have to play the buffbot until he gets enough money, levels, and downtime (you could end up waiting a LONG-ASS while)
b. Death of the construct does not mean retirement of the character due to lack of funds, or, end up with a fate worse than death (demoted to buffbot for the entire remainder of the campaign)
c. No need to do any wealth-related shenanigan loops because money isn't that important anymore because you got a backup free construct.

In other words, instead of transitioning to Planar Binding, this character will transition to real constructs like Shadesteel Golems and therefore be a true construct master instead of consorting with demons and devils. If d&d were real life, this is what I would do, build robots instead of damning my soul by consorting with fiends, so i want to make this build work.

I got a good grasp of the higher levels of this build, but I am currently stumped on getting the "ability to assume a new form magically" on the Artificer. I don't think an Eternal Wand of Alter Self or a Phylactery of Change lets you qualify for Assume Supernatural Ability so...

What are some ways the Artificer can qualify for Assume Supernatural Ability? I just need him to qualify, Phylactery of Change does the rest.

Is being a Changeling enough to qualify for this feat? or does "new form" have to be a polymorph effect instead of minor shapeshift? Even if this is legal I'd still like other options because my DM doesn't allow flaws so I might want to start as an outsider instead and start with Least Dragonmark (for summon marked homunculi) instead of Otherworldly.

flappeercraft
2018-07-27, 06:15 PM
Changeling should technically work. Their Minor Change Shape is explicitly Supernatural and is a non-illusory physical alteration that works within the parameters of Disguise Self. Although I'm not sure it would work entirely for qualifying, definitely in ask your DM territory or if just to make a build for the sake of it as implied then take a pick.

Being a Lycanthrope would work as would the Weresheep flaw although it is a commoner flaw so you might have to take your first level as commoner.

Edit: Ninja'd on Changeling. I'll check if I can find something else and if I do i'll edit it in

Edit 2: The Shifter race could possibly work

The Gluttony Domain from SpC might work if you squint your eyes enough

RoboEmperor
2018-07-27, 06:37 PM
Changeling should technically work. Their Minor Change Shape is explicitly Supernatural and is a non-illusory physical alteration that works within the parameters of Disguise Self. Although I'm not sure it would work entirely for qualifying, definitely in ask your DM territory or if just to make a build for the sake of it as implied then take a pick.

Being a Lycanthrope would work as would the Weresheep flaw although it is a commoner flaw so you might have to take your first level as commoner.

Edit: Ninja'd on Changeling. I'll check if I can find something else and if I do i'll edit it in

Edit 2: The Shifter race could possibly work

The Gluttony Domain from SpC might work if you squint your eyes enough

I can hear my DM already. "Changing forms mean changing into different creatures because that's what this feat is for, gaining Su abilities of creatures, so you should be able to turn into creatures."

XD

I think by RAW changeling should work, and possibly Gluttony too (lol that is hilarious XD), but I'd still like alternatives :)

I am really hesitant to multiclass but I guess it's better than nothing.

magicalmagicman
2018-07-27, 06:41 PM
Grab Craft Construct instead of your planar binding feats on your sorcerer build.

RoboEmperor
2018-07-27, 07:36 PM
Grab Craft Construct instead of your planar binding feats on your sorcerer build.

Haha, the obvious. No construct until level 15 though, and no gear crafting, but yeah, sure.

gogogome
2018-07-27, 08:26 PM
I don't think an Eternal Wand of Alter Self or a Phylactery of Change lets you qualify for Assume Supernatural Ability so...

Items let you qualify for feats. If a Dex item lets you qualify for a Dex feat, I don't see why a shapeshifting item wouldn't let you qualify for a shapeshifting feat.

Still have to wait until level 5 for the requisite CL and wealth.

Goaty14
2018-07-27, 09:18 PM
Items let you qualify for feats. If a Dex item lets you qualify for a Dex feat, I don't see why a shapeshifting item wouldn't let you qualify for a shapeshifting feat.

The infamous "mobility" armor enhancement is oft used in this way. Do mind that as long as you don't meet the preques (i.e getting your +1 Mobility Chainmail sundered) you don't get the benefit of the feat.

RoboEmperor
2018-07-27, 09:19 PM

Still have to wait until level 5 for the requisite CL and wealth.

Isn't that an FAQ ruling? Also ability score bonuses are one thing, magic is an entirely different thing. Otherwise you can qualify for reserve feats as long as you have an appropriate scroll so I think this is incorrect...

Troacctid
2018-07-27, 09:38 PM
Momentary Alteration (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/spelltouchedFeats.htm#momentaryAlteration)

RoboEmperor
2018-07-27, 09:41 PM
Momentary Alteration (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/spelltouchedFeats.htm#momentaryAlteration)

NICE! WOW! YES! <3 <3 <3

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

HOLY MOLY!

hehhehahohehe, be prepared for another optimization character build thread once I get everything planned out. heeheeheehaha

RoboEmperor
2018-07-27, 10:10 PM
NICE! WOW! YES! <3 <3 <3

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

HOLY MOLY!

hehhehahohehe, be prepared for another optimization character build thread once I get everything planned out. heeheeheehaha

Noooo, it's in Unearthed Arcana Q_Q. My DM hates that book with a passion.

Maybe if I beg... In any case I'm gonna still look for alternatives!

Changeling/Shifter - Minor Shapeshift satisfy prerequisite (Definite No with RAI)?
Phylactery of Change - Magic Items satisfy prerequisite?
Momentary Alteration - Will my DM allow Unearthed Arcana?

magicalmagicman
2018-07-27, 10:31 PM
What happened to your plan of using 3 Eternal Wands? Magic Circle Against Evil, Lesser Planar Binding, and Lesser Geas?

Troacctid
2018-07-27, 10:35 PM
Well, there's any number of templates or dips that could get you there. Sentinel of Bharrai can even do it without losing casting, and Tibbit or Hengeyokai can do it as LA +0 races.

RoboEmperor
2018-07-28, 01:10 AM
What happened to your plan of using 3 Eternal Wands? Magic Circle Against Evil, Lesser Planar Binding, and Lesser Geas?

Trying very hard to not go down the planar binding route with this artificer. 0 Extraplanar help is my intention.

Well, there's any number of templates or dips that could get you there. Sentinel of Bharrai can even do it without losing casting, and Tibbit or Hengeyokai can do it as LA +0 races.

Yeah, I'm starting to see the folly of my quest.

I need to be an outsider with Least Dragonmark (for summon marked homunculus)
Human with otherworldly and Least Dragonmark was my choice.
Magic Item satisfying feat requirement and Momentary Alteration lets me be the human, but one's validity is unknown and the other is Unearthed Arcana which my DM hates (he treats it like Dragon Magazine for some reason.)
And all the other alternatives requires me to give up either Least Dragonmark or Otherworldly.

@_@

XD, I think I'm unreasonably greedy here. Do I go back to Ghostwalk template...? But Least Dragonmark requires a human IIRC so that walls off other races.

edit: looking at possible base class dips that could grant me a shapeshift.

Troacctid
2018-07-28, 01:24 AM
edit: looking at possible base class dips that could grant me a shapeshift.
Druid is the obvious choice, either the shapeshift variant from PHB2 or the totem variant from Dragon #335. Or you could be a Mulhorandi Divine Minion, which gives you wild shape and makes you an outsider for +1 LA.

RoboEmperor
2018-07-28, 01:34 AM
Druid is the obvious choice, either the shapeshift variant from PHB2 or the totem variant from Dragon #335. Or you could be a Mulhorandi Divine Minion, which gives you wild shape and makes you an outsider for +1 LA.

There's always a catch XD. My artificer would be an anti-nature bastard, but crunch comes before the fluff, so ok, if nothing else comes up I'll make the druid dip work!

Since this build is NOT class level dependent, but only normal level dependent (because it just needs feats and wealth) I think the class dip is the way to go. I'm going Artificer for the -25% cost reduction feats rather than the -2 CL requirement. I'd happily reduce it to -1 CL requirement (because of the dip).

Thanks, you've been tremendously helpful! Seriously! <3